Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, January 27, 2020
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Can I Refuse Fiber Internet Installation?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JoeyJ

01/08/2020 6:03 PM  
Newbie poster.

Long story short, I do not get along with my HOA even though I've always given the benefit of the doubt and approached things with a team spirit wanting to solve problems.

They sent a heavy handed letter that they are installing Fiber Internet (something I suggested we do many years ago but no one wanted that the same people suddenly want now). Our building is 3 stories high and they want to install 3 units vertically at a time.

I do not want anyone in my unit or messing with my walls. I contacted the Fiber company and they said it would not cost any extra to skip my unit and it would not prevent the units below me from getting it.

That initial letter said anyone who does not give access may have a fine if it leads to additional installation costs.

Am I going to be able to refuse people from getting in to my unit? Is it worth the fee if it comes to that. What language should I use to stand my ground?

I will admit, I don't really care either way BUT I am so tired of being walked over after I've time and time again tried to be the friendly higher ground person. I really don't want to deal with them or anyone and have been hurt too many times to allow them in especially when I'm not even going to get this service.

There are issues with the wall/roof where they will be working that they have never cared to address so I also do not want to risk having any new issues from this as well.
LetA
(Nevada)

01/08/2020 6:23 PM  
You may not have a choice in the matter. Just because someone tells you that your unit can be skipped, they are not the installer and don't know the layout where the FO will be installed. You already granted an easement to the HOA and utilities via your property deed.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

01/08/2020 6:25 PM  
Doesnt sound like your a team player. Refusing to do anything before anything is requested of you.

Fiber is usually cheaper than other internet prices. If they had fiber here, I would take it regardless of my feelings about the HOA.

That said, they will likely run the fiber on the outside of the building. Only entering units who want it installed.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/08/2020 6:27 PM  
Wow ,.. just be a good neighbor.

Benefit of the doubt, huh?
KerryL1
(California)

01/08/2020 6:59 PM  
Welcome to the forum, Joey. I want to be sure I understand you. If you refuse, this will not interfere with your neighbors getting this service, correct?

Your need something in writing that you will not incur a cost for refusing this service.

I live in a condo building too. Our CC&Rs, under the heading Duties of the Association, permit the assoc. to compel work be done in our units only if an emergency, OR to benefit the common areas, association property, or other condos. Take a look at your. (So, I disagree with LetA).

Meanwhile, I've been on this forum for a long time, and you'll get more advice, etc., if you don't start out by complaining about your HOA. Leave that out for your own benefit, OK?

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/08/2020 8:19 PM  
So what about future owners of your unit? How do you think it will come off to say "Only unit without Fiber internet"! It's NOT about you in a HOA it's about ALL neighbors and future potential buyers of your home. Suck it up buttercup...

Former HOA President
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

01/09/2020 4:35 AM  
"Only unit without Fiber internet"!

Good point. We had a company installing fiber everywhere, the company got bought and the new company stopped installing it. So in the future, it could be the only unit without fiber.
ND
(PA)

01/09/2020 5:47 AM  
Sounds like there's a lot more to your overall story than this immediate fiber decision. That said, this decision appears to be entirely yours to make . . . you just need to take this decision on it's own, put pride aside for a minute, weigh the pros and cons, and make the best choice for you, your home, your neighbors, and potential future owners.

If you truly don't want fiber installed, don't care that there's a very minor possibility of it slightly impacting your property values, and company says skipping your unit won't add cost or impact others, then I think you've got what you need. Get the company's input in official writing. Simply inform the Board that you're not getting the fiber and have already researched that it will not add cost (supply your evidence); therefore, there should be no fine to be concerned about. If no added cost, what grounds do they have to fine you?

Some other posters tend to be overly dramatic. I'm sure when you sell your unit, you aren't going to advertise it as "only unit without fiber internet". Only when someone buys your unit will they realize it's the only unit like that and they'll be stuck with the decision of installing or not on their dime (but, perhaps you'd be a better person and feel better overall with the sale if you installed anyway for future owner benefit). If your home and another are for sale simultaneously, then they can advertise fiber but you cannot. In this way it may slightly impact your value or ability to sell before other unit.

Perhaps there is a way for the fiber to be run to the approx installation location without anyone having to enter your unit. You and future owners would benefit from knowing that the fiber is behind the wall if it ever needs to be tapped into. Cheaper to partially install now than be the only one later to install.

If you do decide to install, I don't see why anyone other than the installers would require access to your unit. If HOA members insist on access, politely inform them they are not permitted in your unit . . . there should be no issue denying them access in my opinion. I don't see installation taking more than a couple hours to half a day. You'd just have to be physically present yourself to control access and monitor people in your home.
TimM11

01/09/2020 6:33 AM  
You said you suggested that fiber internet be installed years ago, but now you do not want it installed in your home? I'm confused by what you wrote, as these appear to be contradictory positions.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

01/09/2020 6:44 AM  
I'm assuming we're talking about condos.

Who owns the interior of the walls, the OP or the association? Condo owners typically own from the drywall in, with the "guts" of the building inside the walls belonging to the association. The OP needs to read his governing docs and see who owns what - this will tell him who decides if the fiber optic wire is being installed or not.

PaulJ6
(New York)

01/09/2020 6:58 AM  
This is a battle not worth fighting. Fiber is good for your resale value. Who does like having walls messed with--but who else is refusing this?
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

01/09/2020 7:30 AM  

Some other posters tend to be overly dramatic. I'm sure when you sell your unit, you aren't going to advertise it as "only unit without fiber internet". Only when someone buys your unit will they realize it's the only unit like that and they'll be stuck with the decision of installing or not on their dime

Many people including myself base the decision to buy a house on its internet connectivity. If there is no cell service in the area, no high speed internet, its not even considered. Yes, I've looked at houses like that in rural areas and many of my friends. Only option was satellite or dialup. I did my homework BEFORE buying the house.

You and future owners would benefit from knowing that the fiber is behind the wall if it ever needs to be tapped into.

Typically that is not how fiber is installed especially on small buildings. You dont simply tap into it. A new fiber line is run for all three units from the pole to the building. Three units, three fiber lines. And they are typically not going to run a dead line with no account associated with it.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/09/2020 6:12 PM  
We had a house in a nearby town that some people built. They went to have the cable system hooked up after finishing. It was then discovered that the land they built in an odd spot for cable installation. It wasn't quite in the city and the county did not offer cable options. Not sure of all the details. The owners jobs were also home-based and depended on internet.

It became a real issue for them causing a lawsuit. They were stuck with using "hot spots" on their phones until it could get all figured out. Their livelihood was compromised.

So if sound dramatic then so be it. Having a home without internet option isn't going to be high on anyone's list to buy.

Former HOA President
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

01/12/2020 7:18 AM  
You won the "war" by having the HOA agree with your vision for fiber optic internet access. I would allow the upgrade and keep my home up to modern standard, especially since crews will be on-site anyway. By doing so, your vision is proven to be a success.

Forget the petty back n' forth with an HOA board. Many times, HOA boards are filled w/ well-intended volunteers who are incompetent in property management matters and vision.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Can I Refuse Fiber Internet Installation?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement