Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, January 27, 2020
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Seeking New Property Management
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
StephenO4
(New York)

12/31/2019 5:23 AM  
I am an officer on my HOA Board. We are in the process of looking for a new Management company. Can anyone suggest a publication, website or your own experience in how to proceed and what to look for and ask when interviewing a company.
MarkM19
(Texas)

12/31/2019 6:52 AM  
Stephan,
Having just spent about 4 months going through the same thing I do have a few tips.

1) Make sure the PMC you are interviewing works with Homeowner boards. Many of the larger companies usually get hired by Developers and they do not make good MCs once the developers turns the community over to the HO Board.

2) Check with as may references as they can give you of similar sized properties.

3) Have a list of questions prepared and take notes of their answers. This should be done by one person and results shared with the whole board.

4) Check out Homeowners Portal and take it for a test drive. Is it better than your last MCs?

5) What do they charge for resale transfers. This is a large profit center for MCs. Compare.

6) Ask for their Boiler Plate contract. Read it as if you are trying to get out of the contract not going into the contract. I always say it is better to think about the divorce than the marriage with MCs.

7) See if they will except changes that you recommend. This says how much they want your business and how willing they are to be a good partner.

8) If you are looking at a new company you already know what you don't like about your old one. Avoid similar companies.

The bottom line is every MC tends to understaff and the managers are usually over worked. Make sure that if you are a Portfolio customer of theirs that the Manager is giving up another property when they take on yours. Not just adding to the existing workload.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

12/31/2019 7:49 AM  
We found our current PM through word of mouth, and I recommend talking to people in other HOAs about their experiences. I work for a new home builder so I hear the scuttlebutt, both good and bad, and I was pretty sure before I was even elected to the board that we should switch to this one company that everyone was singing the praises of. Doing this sort of legwork ahead of your formal search can help you weed out the ones you don't want. I also joined NextDoor briefly just to see if there was any sort of talk about property managers (keeping in mind that social media and other on-line reviews tend to skew negative).

I suggest that you be clear before starting your search about what you want from your PM. Do you want a bookkeeper only, or a full service PM? Are you looking for a large company, where they have a lot of experience but you may get lost in the shuffle if you're a small community? Or would you be happier in a small firm that may give you more attention, but also may not have the resources or experience of the bigger guys?

It can also be helpful to review what your current PM does well and what they don't, and what sort of competencies are more important to your community.

Your choices may be limited. In my area we have two large companies, plus a few smaller ones that I haven't heard much about one way or the other. When we switched, we didn't feel that we could get enough references to truly evaluate the small ones, so we stuck to the big two.

But you shouldn't necessarily rule out a new or small company. Our current management company was founded by a person who was dissatisfied with the level of service her community was receiving, and she complained until the board president finally asked her if she could do a better job (she said yes and the board hired her). Her company in now one of the big two in my area and is continuing to gain market share. Similarly, our current manager was new to HOA management and was accompanied to her first few meetings by the company owner, and now she's the best manager we've had in my community's history.

What made the difference is the management company's commitment to providing excellent service for its clients, and that's what you should look for. I know that I could email or call the company owner, who would talk to me about any issues we're having and who would see to it that the issues are resolved. Every December the owner also sends out a questionnaire to each board member asking for feedback about our manager's performance for the year. They're worth every penny we pay them.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Seeking New Property Management

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement