Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, January 27, 2020
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Street sign on private property
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PatrickM13
(Illinois)

12/29/2019 4:04 PM  
Can the HOA put a street sign in the front yard of a home owner?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/29/2019 4:21 PM  
My initial reaction is yes, though it might depend on local laws as to such placement. If not public streets, as in private streets, then this could cause me to change my opinion.

PaulJ6
(New York)

12/29/2019 4:41 PM  
I'd check governing documents.

The next question I'd be asking is, "what can the HOA do to an owner who takes down a street sign placed on the owner's property and returns it, undamaged, to the HOA"?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/29/2019 4:45 PM  
Paul,

Your inference, as usual is extreme and likely to cost property owners money.

Patrick,

Please don’t act on Paul’s silly question.
AugustinD

12/29/2019 5:06 PM  
I agree with what Paul posted.
SamE2
(New Jersey)

12/29/2019 5:07 PM  
Who owns the front yard is their an easement to the HOA?
KerryL1
(California)

12/29/2019 6:30 PM  
Yes, with others, check your documents to see who owns the year area and if the the HOA has easements over it, etc.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/29/2019 6:44 PM  
Patrick,

Don’t destroy property.

Follow Kerry’s advice ... do your research, then talk to your Board and/or property manager.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

12/29/2019 8:14 PM  
Questions not assumptions... Are your street public? What is the need for the sign being placed on the private property? Are there any codes/ordinances with the city about type/size? Is this a Street Name sign or a Stop sign?

Our HOA at the beginning (Before I lived there) had personalized wooden street signs. They were put on the corners and only about 5 feet high. I actually got to keep one when we transitioned to the city signs. (Still have it). Our property was set up so that the yard around each house was HOA COMMMON property. Which means we could put the signs on someone's yard as we owned that property. You owned the house and the lot the house sat on. Everything else was common property set up.

However, we had to turn our streets over to the City due to a separate water meter issue. That meant the city replaced all our signs with metal signs. Plus they had to be set much higher in the air. Some locations did change a little due to vision issues.

So for us we were not putting any signs on private property. However, would need more details on this situation before can comment more. Just wanted to post something to see this isn't a black and white issue.

Former HOA President
CathyA3
(Ohio)

12/30/2019 6:05 AM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 12/29/2019 6:30 PM
Yes, with others, check your documents to see who owns the year area and if the the HOA has easements over it, etc.

I agree with Kelly. i expect that whatever entity owns and maintains the streets (HOA or city) will have an easement for placing street signs.

You don't want a community where people can just remove the signs, unless you want to live in a community where the post office, emergency responders, and others can't find street addresses. I also expect there are laws about this somewhere.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Street sign on private property

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement