Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, January 27, 2020
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Electric cars.
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CheyenneS
(California)

12/10/2019 6:49 PM  
Hi all,
I live in Los Angeles. The HOA's presidents son just got an electric car. They also had an electric outlet installed in the garage. A regular one that you use to say plug in your phone and not an electric car charging station. Is that okay? Can they do that? Can they also use hoa electric? I mean I know its probably only like 50 bucks a month to charge a car but why should my hoa fees go to his sons car charging? I just feel like it's a little unfair to everyone else. I also am wondering if they can use just a regular outlet or do they need an EV charging station.
Thanks in advance.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

12/10/2019 7:02 PM  
A quick Google search will show the cost is minimal.Let it go. Who's next, the guy that works from home and uses more electricity because of the hours he works and the office equipment he uses? If your HOA stipulates that this cost is shared equally than that's what you agreed to when you moved in. As a wise man once said, "Pick your fights carefully".
CheyenneS
(California)

12/10/2019 7:07 PM  
We all pay our own electricity in our units. Like I said I know the cost in very little. We are a small hoa and all the money counts. I mean our grass has been dead for a year but they are willing to pay money for an electrical outlet and charging his car? It just seems mean to me.
CheyenneS
(California)

12/10/2019 7:09 PM  
The garages electricity is paid by hoa. Just like our laundry room and we have to pay extra for that(just the units that dont have laundry In their units) because it uses hoa electricity. just seems they are playing favorites.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/10/2019 7:38 PM  
Yes, it is an issue.
SamE2
(New Jersey)

12/11/2019 4:16 AM  
I think the user should pay to have the outlet installed and pay a monthly surcharge for the use.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/11/2019 5:07 AM  
Perfect, Sam.

Further, if others want to use the outlet, then a system must be devised so those benefiting from the power can pay.

A broader, fair example would be: Association approves of charging station/outlet for the broad benefit (think playground or other shared common capital), develops process for sharing and expense assignment for the power, etc.

Installing an outlet for the use of one person, regardless of that person, is theft.
LetA
(Nevada)

12/11/2019 5:31 AM  
Posted By CheyenneS on 12/10/2019 6:49 PM
Hi all,
I live in Los Angeles. The HOA's presidents son just got an electric car. They also had an electric outlet installed in the garage. A regular one that you use to say plug in your phone and not an electric car charging station. Is that okay? Can they do that? Can they also use hoa electric? I mean I know its probably only like 50 bucks a month to charge a car but why should my hoa fees go to his sons car charging? I just feel like it's a little unfair to everyone else. I also am wondering if they can use just a regular outlet or do they need an EV charging station.
Thanks in advance.

Your post is vague. is this in single family homes or is the a condo? If this is a SFH, MYOB; If this is a condo, then HECK YES this is an issue. Was the electric outlet installed at his/her parking space? Are parking spaces assigned or first come?

Being California, I'm sure the Davis Sterling website has some guidance. Perhaps you can file a complaint with your local ombudsman if your complaint to the HOA falls silent.. I would not like my assessments going to pay for the privilege of one person only.
CheyenneS
(California)

12/11/2019 8:40 AM  
I'm sorry we are a 15 unit condo, parking spaces are assigned. the outlet was installed in between his and a neighbors parking space. Davis sterling act only gives guidance on electric vehicle charging station. This is just an outlet? So I'm confused on what I should do? I've emailed our board in the past and they either dont respond or respond with a bunch of codes that I dont understand and then at the end of their email say "this is not an invitation to respond"
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/11/2019 8:44 AM  
Posted By SamE2 on 12/11/2019 4:16 AM
I think the user should pay to have the outlet installed and pay a monthly surcharge for the use.

I agree.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/11/2019 5:00 PM  
Posted By CheyenneS on 12/10/2019 6:49 PM
Hi all,
They also had an electric outlet installed in the garage. .......Is that okay? Can they do that?

It is absolutely not "ok". An electric sub meter should have been installed when they installed the outlet. They can be found for $160 to $1000 depending on how complicated you get. Some will bill the person automatically, and others will require the HOA to read the meter once a month or quarter and bill the person directly.

It no different than stealing gas from the HOA that they bought to run vehicles or machinery.

If they give you a hard time, ask them for a HOA debit card so you can fill your car up with gas at no charge.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/11/2019 5:50 PM  
Another thing to think about long term is how to deal with the popularity of electric cars. More and more people will get them each year.

Does your garage have the electrical capacity to handle this?
Picking the right sub meter system to monitor and bill each user?
Etc.
KerryL1
(California)

12/11/2019 6:34 PM  
Say, Cheyenne, you need to bring this up at an open board meeting so the board can discuss this. As other have pointed out, of course, the Owner/president must pay for the installation and for the electric use. How do you know he has not paid? Ask him at the required open forum at the board meeting if he paid. How often are your board meetings? How many are on the Board?

In addition, didn't he get ARC approval to install the outlet? What do you documents say about installing electricity or anything in the common areas? Most HOAs forbid such installation or applicants must go through an achitectural committee. In your small HOA, Cheyanne, the Board might be the ARC. In that case, the prez, should recuse himself form voting on this matter as there's a conflict of interest.

This will be in architectural guidelines or even in your CC&Rs.

The trouble is with a wall HOA and probably a very small board, how can Cheyanne get the Board to vote to do what is required by law? And how does she get the prez to pay for joule if, in fact, he is not?

All: visit davis-stirling.com, Main Index for tons of info about EV charging stations, sample ARC requirements, state requirements, etc. There is no need to speculate about or invent what's needed--it's all available online.
CheyenneS
(California)

12/13/2019 3:03 PM  
Well when I asked about it just in passing he said well we had to run electricity for the sump-pump and we just needed an outlet there too. So I'm assuming he has the hoa pay for it and is going to claim it needed to be done because of the sump-pump. Convenient. Our hoa president is a lawyer and people just believe him because he is highly educated. But they do a lot of things wrong. Seems that I'm the only one in the building who cares. They have a meeting on the 15th. So I'll ask again on the 15th.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/13/2019 5:01 PM  
At 120v a tesla charger takes 1400 watts continuously for 10 hours. Its real money.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/13/2019 5:17 PM  
... and its theft.
CheyenneS
(California)

12/13/2019 5:32 PM  
I feel the same way. I just hope others in the building see it and feel the same way. Hopefully all the owners can come out on top and get our HOA fixed. So it's fair.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement