Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: City or HOA
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DavidJ17
(Florida)

12/08/2019 4:58 AM  
After the city approves the construction of a Condo Complex, does the City have any say what the Condo complex can do, or have on their property? For example too many trees, or bushes that grow out to the sidewalk?
LetA
(Nevada)

12/08/2019 5:57 AM  
Not sure more often than not these condo properties have onsite people that tend to the grounds and they hire landscapers that manicure trees, shrubs and bushes.
AugustinD

12/08/2019 6:19 AM  
Where I am, much of the City's land use law applies to condos. For example, city law requires a certain number of parking spaces for every condo (depending on the number of residences); that the condo get permission from the city before removing a tree; and more. If you have any questions where you are, call city staff of the appropriate department and ask.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

12/08/2019 6:29 AM  
These are apples and oranges. The city approves the developer to build the condo complex. There may be certain CODES like parking lot #'s, mailbox locations, and street issues. However, it's up the Developer owned COA/HOA to make the rules and do maintenance. Once the Developer is out then it's up to you and your neighbors.

So if there are landscaping issues, that is on the Developer/COA/HOA. It's also should be written in your documents.

Former HOA President
SamE2
(New Jersey)

12/08/2019 3:48 PM  
City rules/laws trump condo rules so yes the city can restrict what the HOA or residents can do.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/08/2019 4:13 PM  
Another case of the OP not providing sufficient information to allow reasonable consideration.

OP, please help us out!
SheliaH
(Indiana)

12/09/2019 10:27 AM  
That's always been a pet peeve of mine - it's true sometimes the poster doesn't know what he/she doesn't know and initial responses can help him/her provide more information - and hopefully get more thoughtful answers. On the other hand, I look at some of these questions and get the feeling the poster already knows what he/she wants to hear or plans to do and needs some sort of validation. That's not necessarily bad either, because people may provide viewpoints the poster hasn't thought of. When I see those "here's some more information" statements after the original question, it makes me wonder why didn't they mention that in the first place and save us all some time???
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/09/2019 10:44 AM  
Posted By SheliaH on 12/09/2019 10:27 AM
That's always been a pet peeve of mine - it's true sometimes the poster doesn't know what he/she doesn't know and initial responses can help him/her provide more information - and hopefully get more thoughtful answers. On the other hand, I look at some of these questions and get the feeling the poster already knows what he/she wants to hear or plans to do and needs some sort of validation. That's not necessarily bad either, because people may provide viewpoints the poster hasn't thought of. When I see those "here's some more information" statements after the original question, it makes me wonder why didn't they mention that in the first place and save us all some time???

Because they did not get the answers they wanted, they continue to shop by adding additional information.
SueW6
(Michigan)

12/09/2019 7:43 PM  
David
Most likely the developer had to submit plans of the complex to the city planning committee or city planner who would approve the landscape plan, among other plans. The wrong tree would be flagged.

So, yes, the developer/builder’s plans would need approval. But denial of landscapes permits would most likely hold up construction.
DavidJ17
(Florida)

12/20/2019 11:01 PM  
Hi Sue, I understood your answer the best. Although I sure don't understand our situation. We have a Condo with so many trees on property. (this is a set of 10 condo units attached to each other) Many trees hang over the (public) street. We live in Florida. We have daily thunderstorms during summer. Some storms are severe, and even an occasional hurricane. Street parking was further down the street many years ago where there were no Condos/Houses. The City banned parking in that area, so those cars had to park in front of the Condos. There were basically no cars parked in front of those Condos before the ban. Since the ban, the street if full of cars directly in front of these Condos. My opinion is that this section is too small for street parking. A tree limb has fallen onto a truck smashing the windshield. During our everyday storms, tree branches and limbs and twigs and leaves fall to the ground. This Storm Debris is put out by the curb. Because this section it too small for street parking, the Storm Debris is basically a few inches to a few ft from the parked car on the street. The parked car on the street is only inches to a few feet from the driveway. Many times there are 2 cars parked in the driveway, meaning 1 car is parked on top of the sidewalk nearly hanging out in the street. So you can envision a parked car in the driveway and a parked car on the street with Storm Debris in between those 2 cars. With no room for pedestrians to walk thru. Also blocking path of Firefighters tending to an Emergency. Our Trash service company also says the Storm Debris & trash & recycling bins may scratch the cars.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/21/2019 5:38 AM  
David,

Are you on your COA Board?

Is it still controlled by the developer?

To whom have you spoken in city government?

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement