Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: How to make rules or by-laws eco friendly
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RobertW31
(New York)

12/07/2019 3:13 AM  
Hi, I am pretty sure some of you have implemented changes in rules, policies that help combat or limit climate change. I would like to learn what you have done. 110 unit Townhouse comunnity in upstate NY. Thanks.

TimB4
(Virginia)

12/07/2019 3:51 AM  
An Association is limited in it's authority based on the covenants and applicable statutes.

Typically an HOA has the authority is limited to maintain common areas and common elements along with approving or denying exterior changes to the private properties that are within the Association. Condominiums likely have additional authority.

Ignoring any debate about climate change (which I think we all should do), what is it you think an Association has the power to adopt that would affect the climate?

CathyA3
(Ohio)

12/07/2019 4:47 AM  
Posted By TimB4 on 12/07/2019 3:51 AM
An Association is limited in it's authority based on the covenants and applicable statutes.

Ignoring any debate about climate change (which I think we all should do), what is it you think an Association has the power to adopt that would affect the climate?

Off the top of my head:

* rain-sensing irrigation systems

* landscaping products that minimize damage when they end up in the local water shed

* landscaping that is appropriate to its environment: for example, drought-tolerant plantings in drought-prone areas, lush plants in areas that get a lot of rain

* use of solar lighting in the common areas

* one thing we probably can't do is restrict grass cutting to off hours when ozone levels are high, since homeowners would squawk if this work happened during non-business hours

One issue that I see is that many of these environmentally friendly practices will be lower cost over the long term, but may be higher cost in the short run (eg. rain-sensing irrigation systems). Since many HOAs are strapped for cash and tend to manage short-term, trying to get people to think long term can be a tough sell.
AugustinD

12/07/2019 5:38 AM  
-- Check to see if any of your state's recent statutes, regarding energy efficiency, now override your HOA's covenants. In some states residential solar energy is now a property right, and HOAs can no longer prohibit solar panels.

-- If your covenants prohibit solar panels and your state's statutes are silent on the point, consider amending the covenants.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

12/07/2019 6:13 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 12/07/2019 5:38 AM
-- Check to see if any of your state's recent statutes, regarding energy efficiency, now override your HOA's covenants. In some states residential solar energy is now a property right, and HOAs can no longer prohibit solar panels.

Outside air drying of clothes prohibited in our documents, but no longer enforceable under state law.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

12/07/2019 7:05 AM  
Print your rules and by-laws on recycled paper. ;-)
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/07/2019 7:19 AM  
This is more of a “green” question, than a direct climate change question, even though the two topics do overlap at points.

Electric lawn mowing and trimming equipment?

Rainwater recycling for common and/or all properties?

Insulation audit and follow up of common and/or all properties?

Limits of concrete or asphalt?

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/07/2019 10:08 AM  
We have done nothing, nada, zippo and I see more of the same unless forced to do something.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

12/07/2019 10:35 AM  
80 unit townhouse community. Single water meter for entire community.
Initiated cost saving measures in 2013-15.
Saving more than $10k and 1M gallons each year.

Also made modifications to 30+ year old storm water system. Should add a bit to life of HOA-owned roads.

GenoS
(Florida)

12/07/2019 10:46 AM  
We haven't done anything. Even if there was something we could do, if it's not authorized in the CC&Rs we couldn't do it anyway. Ain't nobody burning coal in their furnace here anyway.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

12/07/2019 1:00 PM  
It isn't that black and white. Even Eco-friendly technology changes. Plus these changes need to be reflected in your CC&R's like solar panels or rain barrels. The location of solar panels can vary. The type of rain barrels can be different.

So I support all kinds of eco-friendly ideas and practices. Just know it should also be modified in the rules no matter what your HOA chooses.

Former HOA President
MarkW18
(Florida)

12/07/2019 1:54 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 12/07/2019 1:00 PM
Even Eco-friendly technology changes. Plus these changes need to be reflected in your CC&R's like solar panels or rain barrels.

Since when?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

12/07/2019 4:11 PM  
Because it is a change to aesthetics to the HOA...

Former HOA President
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

12/07/2019 4:30 PM  
So if I change the color of our entrance sign to red the color needs to be specified for me to do it?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

12/07/2019 4:47 PM  
Be reasonable. Talking about allowing the look of solar panels on the roof or type/size/color of rain water barrels. I know people who have rain barrels that look like Whiskey from Jack Daniels. (Don't live far from the place that makes them). So not sure how well HOA member would react to the look of a large whiskey keg in the front yard.

Solar panels they may want to have on the back roof or unseen from the street. Which is kind of ridiculous if the sun shines on the other end... However, solar panels are not exactly attractive. Believe I do have a neighbor that has them painted brown to match their roof color. So they blend in better than a huge kitchen stove rack...

So yes I believe adapting such ECO technology should be spelled out in your HOA documents. Just like the old satellite dishes... Remember the ones that were the size of a small car? Many HOA's regulate the appearances or where to install those as well.

Former HOA President
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/07/2019 5:57 PM  
here is no doubt that associations are going to have to modify/rethink things as technology changes and people become more aware of environmental issues. Rather than fight such, learn to embrace/control the inevitable or it will be forced down your throat at a cost.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/07/2019 8:03 PM  
Reducing pollution is a good goal, but I'm not sure how you expect to stop the earth's climate from changing which happens naturally for millions of years before humans existed.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/07/2019 8:06 PM  
Oh, don’t start.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

12/08/2019 5:23 AM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 12/07/2019 5:57 PM
here is no doubt that associations are going to have to modify/rethink things as technology changes and people become more aware of environmental issues. Rather than fight such, learn to embrace/control the inevitable or it will be forced down your throat at a cost.

Good point. Better to investigate solar and establish standards for the community than to get caught flat-footed when the first request comes in.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/08/2019 7:13 AM  
Posted By NpS on 12/08/2019 5:23 AM

Good point. Better to investigate solar and establish standards for the community than to get caught flat-footed when the first request comes in.

EV charging stations are starting to cause discussions. Who install? Where Installed? Pay for the electricty?
PaulJ6
(New York)

12/08/2019 3:44 PM  
Posted By RobertW31 on 12/07/2019 3:13 AM
Hi, I am pretty sure some of you have implemented changes in rules, policies that help combat or limit climate change. I would like to learn what you have done. 110 unit Townhouse comunnity in upstate NY. Thanks.

I am not aware of a HOA doing this, but corporations can become certified as "B corporations" or at least become "B corporations" under NY law. This gives the corporation the right to consider the environment in making decisions--in effect, instead of having legal duties just to owners, boards can consider the environment in making their decisions.

This would give a board some cover when it makes decisions that are pro-environment, and would take away some residents' rights to complain.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

12/09/2019 6:35 AM  
I think it’s great if your community is thinking about taking steps to become more environmentally friendly. No one person can tackle climate change alone, but If everyone did a little bit, it could add up. Doing things to reduce the amount of junk in landfills, reduce or eliminate the use of pesticides that can run off and ultimately wind up in the drinking water supply, may help the community save money in caring for the common area – and that always gets people’s attention.

AugustinD noted some states have passed laws prohibiting HOAs from enacting rules forbidding solar panels, so at some point you may want to discuss some of your proposals with your association attorney because there may be some city/county ordinances that may prohibit certain moves. For example, some people want to rip out the lawn and replace it with more environmentally-friendly plants, but others think they look like weeds or can harbor vermin if not kept under control. As for the solar panels, a town north of me is having a debate right now because a homeowner wanted to put several solar panels in his yard. The HOA doesn’t address the matter, but some of the neighbors are ticked off, saying they’re concerned about property values.

Cathy and George have some great suggestions to start off with – I’d start with seeing what could be adapted to the common area first and then run a poll by the homeowners to see what sorts of things they’d like to see or are considering, and review that against the CCRs. Look for some sort of environmental organization in your community that might be able to send in speakers to educate homeowners about the pros and cons of certain. If you don’t have one, try whatever agency is in charge of trash pickup – even establishing some sort of recycling program would be a good idea, especially if it saves the community money. Good luck!
KerryL1
(California)

12/09/2019 11:36 AM  
If anyone is interested in EV charging stations, that HOAs must permit them (under most circumstances) is well-established in CA. Visit davis-stirling.com, and scroll the Main Index to EV, etc., tabs. All of your questions should be answered--this isn't new--and sample Archit,. Guidelines, state statutes, etc. are available to give anyone some knowledge about this topic.

And, yes, CA is one state, ca. 2018, where HOAs cannot forbid solar panels on roofs--even if common area-- that service a single unit. We have about a dozen of these, but no Owner has been interested yet. And such an owner would literally have to accept all responsibility for "their" roof's future maintenance. (Most of our roofs cover 25 stories of 200 units so are common area with equipment, etc., on them.)

Again visit davis-stirling.com for sample ARC suggestions and also the statutes themselves.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/09/2019 2:58 PM  
One thing we have to keep in mind is we are not all in the same association. We vary from small, standalone patio homes in SC (such as mine) to multi high rise buildings in CA (such as Kerry's). Our concerns, guidelines, laws, etc can be quite different. Elevator. What is that? Pickleball Courts. What are they? Forget about snow plowing. Alligators and fire Ants I know a bit about......LOL
KerryL1
(California)

12/09/2019 4:54 PM  
My point in citing the references is that they apply to all kinds of homes. There will, obviously, be different muni codes, requirements, etc. in different HOAs and different states. The references are a way to get some beginner knowledge on the two topics.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/09/2019 7:10 PM  
No one person can tackle climate change alone, but If everyone did a little bit, it could add up.

Man is pretty amazing, but its not capable of changing the climate of a planet. It has changed throughout history and will continue to change.

The poles are going to reverse soon, we are not capable of stopping that either.

Nor stopping solar flares.

Again, I agree pollution and conserving natural resources are important, but I disagree we have the power to change climates up or down.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/10/2019 5:35 AM  
Steve,

You couldn’t help yourself, huh?

What nonsense.
LetA
(Nevada)

12/10/2019 4:58 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 12/08/2019 7:13 AM
Posted By NpS on 12/08/2019 5:23 AM

EV charging stations are starting to cause discussions. Who install? Where Installed? Pay for the electricty?

I think the jury is still out when it comes to state or local legislative bodies compelling common interest communities to install EV stations. Considering the amount of electric service needed for each EV charger is 30 amps. The cost of the install including the drop fee the utility changes to trench and install electric service could bankrupt some HOA's.. Devils advocate, lets say technology changes, solar panels are incorporated into the vehicle and vesicles self regenerate their energy as they're driven, that would render the EV charging stations useless and a potential waste of money.
KerryL1
(California)

12/10/2019 5:42 PM  
So far as I've heard, no entity is trying to force HOAs to install charging stations. In CA, in most cases, an HOA cannot prevent an Owner from installing one at their own expense, with ARC approval, following state statutes, and, of course, some arrangement to pay for the electricity.
GenoS
(Florida)

12/11/2019 1:51 PM  
Recycling seems to be more and more a waste of time. My county lost its recycling plant early this year after it burned down, so beginning next year the county entered into a contract to send its recycling to a facility one county away. For which the county residents will be on the hook for an additional $200,000 a year. Unfortunately, every county in Florida has a mandate to hit certain recycling goals imposed by the state of Florida.

Such a waste. Recycling is a hoax.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/11/2019 2:41 PM  
Geno,

I strongly disagree ... your version may not be working.
GenoS
(Florida)

12/11/2019 3:09 PM  
Version of what? The article I linked is one of many reports on recycling that have come out in the last year or two. Ever since China stopped buying our recycled paper and plastic most of it ends up in landfills anyway.

The vicious cycle of stupidity continues.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/11/2019 3:22 PM  
Again, I strongly disagree ... about the binary statements you have made.

Recycling is most assuredly not a hoax.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/11/2019 5:05 PM  
Recycling is most assuredly not a hoax.

Research where your recycling goes after it leaves your house.... you will not be pleased. Its true, ever since china stopped importing recyclables, the market has fallen apart. Once towns were paid for recycling, now they have to pay money to get rid of it. And yes..... much of it is going to landfills...... after you spent so much time separating it. Why? Its cheap to send it to a landfill vs doing anything else with it.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/11/2019 5:08 PM  
I know one very large company that has recycling bins with separators next to trash cans all over the place. Everyone loves to recycle because its the right thing to do. Little does everyone know, it all goes to the same trash bin at the end of the day. Nothing is recycled, but it makes people feel better.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/11/2019 6:11 PM  
Not all recycling program are failures - you have significantly overstated.

I am appalled you would be so negative.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/11/2019 6:19 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 12/11/2019 6:11 PM
Not all recycling program are failures - you have significantly overstated.

I am appalled you would be so negative.

Its obvious you have no idea where your recycling goes.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/11/2019 6:23 PM  
It is obvious you are incorrect.

It is also obvious you have missed the point of the obsolete necessity to make recycling programs successful.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/11/2019 6:24 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 12/11/2019 6:23 PM
It is obvious you are incorrect.

It is also obvious you have missed the point of the obsolete necessity to make recycling programs successful.

So tell us where yours goes......
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/11/2019 6:57 PM  
ECUA MRF ... even the rednecks of Escambia County, FL figured out it was important.

Were there issues? Sure. Did they get worked? Yes.

Is it flawless? No. Will there be continuing problems trying to balance cost and utility. Sure.

Is it overwhelmingly important that we try to find ways to deal with the waste? To me, it is.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/11/2019 7:24 PM  
ECUA MRF ... even the rednecks of Escambia County, FL figured out it was important.

Were there issues? Sure. Did they get worked? Yes.

A quick google search shows ECUA is just throwing recyclables in the landfill anyway. No buyers. So Escambia residents are being charged higher and higher extra rates to have their nice yellow recycle bins to recycle and it goes in the landfill.

As I said..... where is it going? Landfill.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/11/2019 7:26 PM  
And a ECUA employee just got caught sealing $510,000. That will be passed on to you too.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/11/2019 7:28 PM  
Right now we have three choices.....

1. Pay more to recycle with no guarantee those items won’t go to the landfill.
2. Pretend to recycle.
3. Don’t recycle.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/11/2019 7:48 PM  
even the rednecks of Escambia County, FL figured out it was important.

Doing a little more digging..... looks like Escambia County (Pensacola) pays the ECUA $45 per ton to pretend to recycle, then ECUA brings it to the landfill and pays them $20 per ton.

What were you saying about rednecks figuring it out? Your paying $25 extra per ton for someone else to toss it in a landfill when you could be saving money by hauling it to the landfill yourself and skipping ECUA.

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/11/2019 7:56 PM  
You’re just behind on the reading and angry.

Not to mention way off topic.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

12/12/2019 6:40 AM  
Geno may not be impressed with the recycling program in his community, but at least they have one. In my town, people have to pay extra to buy a special bin for recycling, plus an additional fee to the county, so the participation rate is very low. There’s been some discussion recently on changing the program to encourage more participation.

One program I support was set up to hire ex-cons, and they’ve been very successful at keeping them off the street and less likely to go back into crime. Most of the stuff they recycle is electronics and after they strip everything down, the metals are sold to other companies.

Recycling alone won’t resolve everything and there will be hiccups along the way, but anything that can reduce the amount of trash that goes into landfills should be considered.

“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make” – Jane Goodall
GenoS
(Florida)

12/12/2019 2:11 PM  
Posted By SheliaH on 12/12/2019 6:40 AM
Recycling alone won’t resolve everything and there will be hiccups along the way, but anything that can reduce the amount of trash that goes into landfills should be considered.

I agree with that. The thing is, reycling doesn't really reduce what's going into landfills anymore. The recycling industry is only sustainable if there are buyers for the recycled waste.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/12/2019 4:44 PM  
Geno,

Again, I find your broad brush strokes too broad - binary, even.

How could recycling, even if not “profitable,” not reduce the amount going into landfills?

Every community, county, state is desperate to make it work - the easy way is to recycle and sell the recycled material for a profit. Next best is to break even. Then to charge to recycle. All, and others, are being considered and worked.

Clearly, less must be going into landfills, right?

But my this is off the OP topic, right.

If you continue to post on this here, I will respond.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/12/2019 4:45 PM  
Yes, people are doing a GREAT job recycling. Then the market changed........once it goes to the recycling centers, there are no buyers, so it goes to the landfill.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/12/2019 5:56 PM  
Sheesh ... every pound not going to a landfill is a good thing.

Your turn.

I’ll wait and then respond.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/12/2019 6:21 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 12/12/2019 5:56 PM
Sheesh ... every pound not going to a landfill is a good thing.

Your turn.

I’ll wait and then respond.

Negatives of recycling at any cost:
- money (costs twice as much to recycle than disposal)
- co2 emission. (many more vehicles, machinery moving around recyclables many times then dumping them in landfill)
- Reduce waste (use legislation to require packaging to use less, such as europe with waste laws)
- Stop single stream. Require people to separate recyclables.
- Plenty more ideas... cant list them all

Sure it makes sense to recycle things that have buyers..... but recycling programs need to evolve. Only recycle materials that have buyers. Stop processing items with no buyers.

Bottom line..... the world market for recyclables has changed. We need to change too.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/12/2019 6:34 PM  
Nope.

The reason to recycle wasn’t to have a system with buyers and sellers.

It was to reduce the load on landfills ... if trash disposal evolves to a point where there are is profitable buying it will eventually evolve to where it is done as an additional cost ... as it should if it is to reduce landfills.

OK, now it’s your turn, again. Still off the topic, but go ahead.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/12/2019 6:40 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 12/12/2019 6:34 PM
Nope.

The reason to recycle wasn’t to have a system with buyers and sellers......It was to reduce the load on landfills ...

LOL. Your completely missing the point of the word recycle.

Recycling is the process of converting waste materials into new materials and objects.

If its not being recycled into something else, its not technically being recycled. Its simply being processed, then tossed in the same landfill.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/12/2019 6:55 PM  
Nope. The reason to recycle wasn’t to have a system with buyers and sellers.

How you think it would work without buyers and sellers?

People would volunteer gas and trucks to haul it?
People would donate 20 million dollar processing plants?
People would donate ships to send it to china to make things for us to buy? Free?

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/12/2019 7:39 PM  
Sorting is mandated for anyone using the private hauler municipal pickup. Material is delivered free, under contract, to a processing facility. If the processing facility can sell the material, great.

If the facility has to pay to deliver what is acceptable to the next level free - aluminum cans, glass, etc - the consumer of the trash pickup service pays the tab.

OK, your turn, but if I don’t respond immediately, it’s because I went to bed, it’s not because I’m giving up responding each time.
GenoS
(Florida)

12/12/2019 9:22 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 12/12/2019 6:34 PM
Nope.

The reason to recycle wasn’t to have a system with buyers and sellers.

It was to reduce the load on landfills ... if trash disposal evolves to a point where there are is profitable buying it will eventually evolve to where it is done as an additional cost ... as it should if it is to reduce landfills.

OK, now it’s your turn, again. Still off the topic, but go ahead.

It is off topic because recycling really has very little to do with climate change. They are tangentially related, though, because both address environmental issues. Recycling paper can mean less forests need to be cut down for pulp, and things like that would certainly help.

But "Everything Americans think they know about recycling is probably wrong".

Excerpt:
"Recycling isn’t a nebulous humanitarian environmental practice of collecting waste. It is, actually, a business. It’s a commodities market that we all participate in. It produces paper pulp and plastic pellets and glass shards and other materials that are used by manufacturers to make goods. So even in the best recycling systems the goods you send to the recycler to be processed are only going to become new products if there’s a market demand for them."

It's a business. With buyers and sellers. I don't think anyone can reasonably dispute that.

Another:
"Everything you've been told about plastic is wrong – the answer isn't recycling".

"Or so goes the story we’ve all been brainwashed into accepting: that if we all just get a few containers and separate out our waste, it will be taken by some nice people who will magically make it go away without any negative consequences."

I don't agree with that author's solution, but the points about recycling are valid.

"Recycling isn't working: here's why"

"The global recycling market is crumbling, the cost of recycling is skyrocketing, fewer materials are being accepted, and cities are forced to suspend their recycling programs or find stopgap solutions like incinerators and landfills in order to cut costs."

"Your Recycling Gets Recycled, Right? Maybe, or Maybe Not"

"In recent months, in fact, thousands of tons of material left curbside for recycling in dozens of American cities and towns — including several in Oregon — have gone to landfills."

These stories are easy to find, most are recent.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > How to make rules or by-laws eco friendly

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement