Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, January 19, 2020
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Moving a trash dumpster
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SusanB37
(California)

12/05/2019 7:42 AM  
For over 2 years I have been trying to get the trash dumpster relocated. It is right behind my patio fence on common area and wild animals and bugs are a problem. The HOA committee keeps coming up with issues why they have not moved it. Now received an email saying the city might have to get involved with having it moved. It has become a health issue. What can be done to get it moved?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/05/2019 9:32 AM  
Work with your Board, and whoever (city) owns the dumpster.
SusanB37
(California)

12/05/2019 9:38 AM  
We have been working with the board and it's one excuse after another. I have sent an email to the City of Torrance and waiting to hear back from them. Thank you

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/05/2019 9:47 AM  
Phone call to City?

Formal letter to City?

Formal letter to Board?

Attending Board meetings to address the Board, formally?
AugustinD

12/05/2019 9:47 AM  
Is there a place on common area where the HOA could move the dumpster such that wild animals and bugs are not a problem to someone in the HOA?

Is there a more secure type of dumpster that would at least keep the wild animals at bay?

Can the HOA require that only garbage tied securely in (double?) plastic bags is allowed? I know some municipalities or waste management companies require this.

Maybe contact the California Department of Public Health and see if they have any ideas? See https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Pages/contact_us.aspx

I am not saying this is good. I am saying that a solution that will please all may not be easy.
SusanB37
(California)

12/05/2019 10:09 AM  
Board meeting have been attended on a regular basis have submitted letters with pictures and also a petition signed by others. At one time they were going to move it and a renter complained no other complaints from anyone. I own my place and pay my dues. I really don't feel the board is taking this matter seriously. In the meantime I will continue to contact and do whatever is necessary. Thank you
SusanB37
(California)

12/05/2019 10:11 AM  
Also the Company who owns the dumpster has no problem with it being moved to another location.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

12/05/2019 10:46 AM  
There may be other issues that make this more problematic than you know, such as:

Is there another place where the dumpster can be moved to? What happens if those neighbors object?
If it's moved, will this inconvenience your close neighbors who also use it (especially the ones who may be disabled)?
If the dumpster is moved, it will need a cement pad to sit on and those aren't cheap (we had to replace several in my townhouse community)
If the dumpster is moved, will the truck be able to get in and out of the new area?

While those questions are being pondered by the board (and the city), I suspect a good dose of resident education is in order, such as no loose garbage, tie up your bags securely to keep down the trash that attracts wild animals and bugs, etc. Depending on what type of critters are showing up, the board may need to have some traps set.
ND
(PA)

12/05/2019 11:20 AM  
Was the dumpster there when you purchased your home?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

12/05/2019 2:36 PM  
So I want to hear these "excuses" the board keeps coming up with. That may lead to figuring out why it is staying. Who says they do not have a good REASON for why it is there. Have not heard the reasons the HOA isn't taking action.

Former HOA President
SusanB37
(California)

12/06/2019 3:18 AM  
Over a year ago the board had approved to relocate the dumpster and where they would move it too. It took several months before they started to get the area ready and then it stopped. A renter gave a business card with a persons name on it from the city to a board member and it was said he came out to the complex and said the dumpster could not be put where they were going to move it to everything stopped. Months have gone by now and the truth finally came out no one came to the complex and said anything to anyone. The card was given to the person from someone he knew. Now the grass has to be cut and flowers planted fences painted dumpster has to be measured and once again measure the spot and hire someone to do this. Well heck I could get my tape measure and give all the measurements necessary. The dumpster is small not large it would take no time at all to level the area put the boards up where you will pour the cement into to make the slab to set the dumpster on, rope it off let it dry next day move dumpster. Roofs had to be repaired , trees sprayed because of termites excuses , excuses ,excuses. The latest one Ground Committee will have to do a survey and let people know how far they will have to walk to dump their trash and the City will get involved because the dumpster will get overloaded cause the dumpster is gone and the original plan of the complex will change. Complex build in 1964!!!!
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

12/06/2019 4:11 AM  
Okay so it sounds like how slow a HOA typically works. Give you an example. Our HOA meets 1 time a month. We make decisions at those meetings. So let's say a light is out at the front entrance. Someone has to report it at the meeting. We then decide to hire someone and arrange the budget to buy the light/contractor. Next month the Bids are in and we are to approve the contractor/correct light options. 3rd meeting we then choose to hire the contractor and purchase the light IF in the budget.

It is now up to 3 months for a "simple" light bulb change. The wheels of progress run slow. People don't want us to make decisions outside of the meetings because that would be considered "Making decisions behind closed doors". It would not go over well if members think we just spend money outside of a meeting and being open about it...

My suggestion now know more details... Why don't you VOLUNTEER to head up the project? I am sure the board members who also VOLUNTEER wouldn't mind having someone taking the reigns to get things done. So next meeting ask if you can take on the project and get it done.

Former HOA President
SamE2
(New Jersey)

12/06/2019 4:57 AM  
Whenever there is a project not moving as I would like I volunteer to head it up and get it done. I think it is important you are not just moving the problem to someone else.
SusanB37
(California)

12/06/2019 7:54 PM  
I have volunteered and my husband also. Not only once but everytime a new problem arises. The person in charge now wants to do it himself and doesn't want to hear or listen to anyone else. New excuse if you move one dumpster you have to move them all . Can't wait till next Wednesday for meeting to hear some more excuses.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Moving a trash dumpster

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement