Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, January 26, 2020
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Committee Email Read at Meeting
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NpB
(Arizona)

11/15/2019 12:14 AM  
Our HOA has permanent Architectural and Landscape Committee binders with records of approved alteration applications, meetings, etc., going back 20+ years. These records also contain some intra-committee emails whose content is comprised solely of ALC matters (nothing personal or off topic). The law of my state indicates that all records of the HOA shall be made available to any member.

https://www.azleg.gov/ars/33/01805.htm

Suppose one of those committee emails (from the chair to the committee members) dated 10 years ago suggests installing a swing set in a certain common area open space and what a great idea it is, and how the homeowners (many of whom still reside in same location) who live adjacent to the common area have no problem with it. Is there any law prohibiting that committee email from being read at an open Board meeting?

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/15/2019 4:45 AM  
Why would it not be? You and your neighbors are ALL members of the same HOA. It's all about the "transparency". The purpose of the law/rule. People have the right to be "informed".

Now as far as playground equipment and it being a "great idea". Not so much in the actual application... Once you all start investigating the "great idea" you will find a great many road blocks. None of which will be your neighbors/members. Seems children tend to outgrow playground equipment pretty quickly. Leaving that equipment an eyesore and liability. Not to mention that you can't buy just an "off the shelf" playground equipment. Seems if you read the warranty, it is limited to private and # of kids to use. Putting in a public area with access to more than 6 kids makes the warranty no good.

Former HOA President
NpB
(Arizona)

12/04/2019 12:07 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 11/15/2019 4:45 AM
Why would it not be? You and your neighbors are ALL members of the same HOA. It's all about the "transparency". The purpose of the law/rule. People have the right to be "informed".

Now as far as playground equipment and it being a "great idea". Not so much in the actual application... Once you all start investigating the "great idea" you will find a great many road blocks. None of which will be your neighbors/members. Seems children tend to outgrow playground equipment pretty quickly. Leaving that equipment an eyesore and liability. Not to mention that you can't buy just an "off the shelf" playground equipment. Seems if you read the warranty, it is limited to private and # of kids to use. Putting in a public area with access to more than 6 kids makes the warranty no good.

Are emails from the committee President to members of the committee generally part of Architectural and Landscape Committee records?
SheliaH
(Indiana)

12/04/2019 12:27 PM  
Why even bother reading the email - that was 10 years ago, and it's possible the attitudes have changed.

Is there a reason why the board can't say something like "the playground equipment came up several years ago and most folks thought it was a good idea. No action was taken at the time, but we will poll the homeowners to see what they think - would they like the board to proceed, prefer something else be done with that spot, leave it alone or don't have an opinion? Please respond by X date - thank you." this way, current thinking will drive the decision.

NpB
(Arizona)

12/04/2019 12:35 PM  
Posted By SheliaH on 12/04/2019 12:27 PM
Why even bother reading the email - that was 10 years ago, and it's possible the attitudes have changed.

Is there a reason why the board can't say something like "the playground equipment came up several years ago and most folks thought it was a good idea. No action was taken at the time, but we will poll the homeowners to see what they think - would they like the board to proceed, prefer something else be done with that spot, leave it alone or don't have an opinion? Please respond by X date - thank you." this way, current thinking will drive the decision.

The majority of the people still reside on that street 7 years later.
NpB
(Arizona)

12/04/2019 12:37 PM  
Posted By NpB on 12/04/2019 12:35 PM
Posted By SheliaH on 12/04/2019 12:27 PM

The majority of the same people referenced in the email still reside in the area where potential playground equipment would be installed.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/04/2019 2:46 PM  
Again. You are making scenarios up.

That said, what I said and believed 10 years ago does not mean what I would do today. Playground equipment is a good one. There have been lawsuits against HOA for no maintaining playground equipment so today, I would no playground equipment allowed. Read an Email sent by me 10 years ago saying yes, I would reply how naive I was then.

10 years ago she promised to cherish and obey me, now I am fairly sure the bytch wants me dead..........LOL

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/04/2019 3:20 PM  
More weird stuff.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/04/2019 3:21 PM  
More weird stuff.
KerryL1
(California)

12/04/2019 3:24 PM  
I agree with John.

KerryL1
(California)

12/04/2019 3:25 PM  
I agree with John.

BobB31
(Florida)

12/04/2019 3:34 PM  
Is this not a good argument for purging records that the law does not require one to keep? 20+ years seems excessive to hold onto records that aren't required by law. I'm not aware what the AZ statutes have to say about it, but 7 years seems more than sufficient to me.
NpB
(Arizona)

12/04/2019 3:36 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 12/04/2019 2:46 PM
Again. You are making scenarios up.

That said, what I said and believed 10 years ago does not mean what I would do today. Playground equipment is a good one. There have been lawsuits against HOA for no maintaining playground equipment so today, I would no playground equipment allowed. Read an Email sent by me 10 years ago saying yes, I would reply how naive I was then.

10 years ago she promised to cherish and obey me, now I am fairly sure the bytch wants me dead..........LOL

Thank you for diverting the thread to a non-criticial discussion of whether ALC records customarily include emails between committee president and members.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/04/2019 3:51 PM  
More of the same.

I’m out.
MarkW18
(Florida)

12/04/2019 4:05 PM  
Hypothetical

I was watching a movie last night, National Treasure: The Book of Secrets. The Book of Secrets is supposedly a book prepared by presidents for presidents only. A FBI section chief told the actor "The only way you're going to see what's in the book, is to become president".

I have read a number of your posts, and my comment to you if you want to change your association and how things are done, you either sh$t or get off the pot!
NpB
(Arizona)

12/04/2019 4:08 PM  
Posted By MarkW18 on 12/04/2019 4:05 PM
Hypothetical

I was watching a movie last night, National Treasure: The Book of Secrets. The Book of Secrets is supposedly a book prepared by presidents for presidents only. A FBI section chief told the actor "The only way you're going to see what's in the book, is to become president".

I have read a number of your posts, and my comment to you if you want to change your association and how things are done, you either sh$t or get off the pot!

I am on a Board of people who want to run things by the book and this disruption is not being taken well by people used to the old ways of lax enforcement, cliques, favoritism, etc..
MarkW18
(Florida)

12/04/2019 5:10 PM  
I once lived in a community and wanted to do the same as you. People don't care about how correctly things are done.

I manage HOA's hopefully to make them better, but I would never live in one again under any circumstance. Not that I don't believe in the concept of HOA's but because of the execution, or lack thereof.

Through their newsletter, I saw how one HOA treated a long time contributor here. NO THANK YOU.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/04/2019 5:23 PM  
Since Mark couldn’t help himself ...

I, on the other hand, would never consider any community not locked down tight with an HOA.
MarkW18
(Florida)

12/04/2019 5:26 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 12/04/2019 5:23 PM
Since Mark couldn’t help himself ...

Would you like to explain that comment?
NpB
(Arizona)

12/04/2019 5:27 PM  
Posted By MarkW18 on 12/04/2019 5:10 PM
I once lived in a community and wanted to do the same as you. People don't care about how correctly things are done.

I manage HOA's hopefully to make them better, but I would never live in one again under any circumstance. Not that I don't believe in the concept of HOA's but because of the execution, or lack thereof.

Through their newsletter, I saw how one HOA treated a long time contributor here. NO THANK YOU.

If people don't care about an organization being run business like and with best practices, and more about cliques, favoritism, selective enforcement etc., that can open them up to lawsuits, then why do they live in an HOA where abiding by the CCRs is a legal contract?
MarkW18
(Florida)

12/04/2019 5:56 PM  
Reality is, almost all new development are HOA's. Reality is, it is cheaper to buy a new home than a older home.

Reality is, 90% of people buying into a HOA have no clue what they are buying into.

I have managed a lot of HOA's and have seen things you couldn't even dream up. Business like, please stop me from laughing.

I feel I am a responsible person and if my neighbor happens to have left his garbage can on the side of his house and not behind his fence I am not going to lose sleep over it.

I think the concept of HOA is fine, but then unqualified person got involved. I then watched the impeachment hearing the last couple of weeks and especially today and thought these are the morons that legislate us. Enough said.
JaredC
(Texas)

12/04/2019 6:28 PM  
NpB why is this an issue? I can't help but feel like there is information missing.

My initial reaction is: It's an email from 10 years ago regarding a play set, read away. Really who cares?

I think there is more to your post than described in your initial comment.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/05/2019 5:28 AM  
And, now into impeachment comments?

Stay on topic.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Committee Email Read at Meeting

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement