Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Security cameras in common area
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RobertG37
(North Carolina)

09/13/2019 9:57 PM  
Looking for some insight on a matter of cameras specificly at our pool. We have just installed cameras around our neighbor hood some at the entrance to see vehicles that come and go to combat theft. Also some at the pool to adress non residents that come in and unexplained damages. Once the cameras were up and running emails were sent out to residents informing them they were up and running and to let people know how the information on them were being handled and who had access. Residents were told tape would be reviewed only in time of a complaint or actual damage being reported and the info is being stored on a computer inside the clubhouse office. As it turns out any board member can and have it live streaming to there private residence and use it to monitor people at the pool. My question is 2 fold first. Would there have to be some kind of percentage of consent of residents to instal such cameras and can a board member stream that kind of video to there private residence. Any opinions on the matter would be helpfull

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/14/2019 12:10 AM  
Just why would anyone have the need or desire to live stream video at a pool area? Especially a board member? Anyone has a need to monitor would it not be the police? I don't see the need for a live feed option. That's just a little bit too much "Big Brother" to me.

Cameras usually do NOT prevent crime. They just help identify who did it and the crime. The police will be the ones to press charges. The video is there to help make the charges stick in a court of law.

Former HOA President
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/14/2019 1:16 AM  
Robert,

Regarding consent, you should ask an attorney.

Check out this resource:

https://www.rcfp.org/wp-content/uploads/imported/RECORDING.pdf
MarkW18
(Florida)

09/14/2019 11:05 AM  
The answer is no. Companies view security footage live. The Association just the extra step of informing all residents that security cameras had been installed. Kudos.
MarkM19
(Texas)

09/14/2019 3:54 PM  
Robert,
This question comes up often regarding cameras. If they are installed in Public spaces and signs are put up informing the people that enter that space they are under surveillance your HOA is covered. Most camera NVR/DVR system have only a week or 2 at the most of storage and then they erase the older footage. I have no idea how bad your crime and vandalism is in your community. If it is bad then I would think if a board member or property manager sees it happen when they are monitoring the cameras they can catch the person in the act by calling PD.

Cameras are everywhere and if you are anyone else does not want to be watched the only safe space for you is inside your home. In Texas we had a very big Gas Station franchise called "Bucees" I spoke to a camera provider that has done a lot of work for them. They install over 100 cameras in the average Store. They also have them monitored 24 hours a day by a highly paid Security team. HOAs do not have that luxury with our limited budgets. If you can get people on the board that are willing to check a few times a day you will be better off than chasing bad guys after the fact.

My association in Ca. established rules about our system after a few complaints. The only way we would turn over footage to a homeowner was if a Police report was filed and they requested the information. We had security on site 16 hours a day that had access. In that case we had cameras that had license plate capture capabilities. This caught several car break in vandals over the years if other personal cameras caught time of the incident.

Not sure from your post which side of this debate you are on.
RobertG37
(North Carolina)

09/14/2019 9:05 PM  
I am very much pro camera and as a former board member i see the need and view it as an excellent tool. I do on the other hand take issue with members of the board watching a real time feed of the pool from their private residence. Especially when the mission statement about the use of said cameras
that was sent out to all residence stated that tapes would be reviewed if and when a violation is reported or evidence of a violation warrants it. It just seems to me as abit to big brother for my taste. Also know the majority of our past problems were from trespassers from outside the community and with the cameras came a new gate blocking the entrance thats only opened with a key card so the gate alone has stoped all trespassers.
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/15/2019 6:08 AM  
Posted By MarkW18 on 09/14/2019 11:05 AM

Companies view security footage live.

Some do.

Some don't.

LetA
(Nevada)

09/15/2019 6:24 AM  
Would it be any different if the members of the board took turns sitting at the pool monitoring things?
How about the property manager live streaming the pool at peak times? Your HOA likely has a small budget and can't afford to pay a security firm to watch live feeds.

I am pro camera all day long, have cameras pointed towards the bathrooms doors, not inside the bathrooms. Boards need to protect their assets. cameras, especially at the gates and at the pool can identify culprits and recoup damages.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

09/15/2019 6:55 AM  
LetA, I'm not sure if you were kidding or not. I'm all for cameras also. However, as a board member there ain't no way I would take a shift watching live feed from security cameras. I have no desire to do this. If I ever get bored enough that I would do this, I think I'll check myself into an assisted living facility so I can play cards with the other old folks and have a social life.
LetA
(Nevada)

09/16/2019 11:01 AM  
I was just being hypothetical. I wouldn't want to sit and watch surveillance footage either. I would be happy to look at the push notification log to look at any after hours footage from motion sensor recordings to view captured incidents or view a timeframe x to x if someone said x happened at x time. Just my humble thoughts
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Security cameras in common area

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement