Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA or Developer rules?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
KarenS27
(Texas)

09/12/2019 2:07 PM  
I built my home on a corner lot in a master planned community. While under construction I submitted an application to the ACC to install an 8' fence and extend the fence enclosing more of my yard for privacy. I supplied a survey with new fence lines to them as required. I received an approval from the HOA- ACC in June 2018. I moved into my home December 2018. This week my builder reached out to me and said the developer is requiring them to move my fence 4' into my yard on the side of the corner and that they were also required to plant an evergreen type plant in the new area that will now be exposed to the street. I paid a premium to have a larger corner lot, I paid extra for the 8' fence and extension, I got HOA approval for it. I plan to have a pool built and all the quotes I have received incorporate that 4'x40' area they are trying to take from my fenced in yard. So, essentially they are taking 160 sq. ft. of my fenced yard, I now have to maintain evergreen plants as those will be on my property, they have to move my sprinkler system to accommodate the new plants, dig up metal fence posts and reset, damage my grass, damage my existing fence and I am sure try to reuse the same pickets. I have gone through the CCr's and rules and regulations and cannot find anything that mentions this begin a requirement for a corner lot in my subdivision. I will say that I drove around and all the other corner lots do have the fence installed 5' setback from the sidewalk. This is a new community still under construction. But again I got HOA-ACC approval. Any advice?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/12/2019 2:47 PM  
Who owns the HOA? Is it still Developer owned or turned over the owners? Hard to tell till know that information.

Former HOA President
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/12/2019 3:07 PM  
If the Developer is in control, then he basically IS the HOA, and any vote about this issue would go his way.

In your shoes, I would try to negotiate some kind of compromise with the builder since it appears that everyone acted in good faith and only found out after the fact that there was an issue.
KarenS27
(Texas)

09/12/2019 3:24 PM  
The developer is still in control of the HOA.
KarenS27
(Texas)

09/12/2019 3:25 PM  
Still developer owned.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

09/12/2019 4:35 PM  

In your shoes, I would try to negotiate some kind of compromise with the builder since it appears that everyone acted in good faith and only found out after the fact that there was an issue.

Talk with him. I'm sure he has maps and easements. Its possible your corner lot has easements that allows him to go 5 ft into your land and plant evergreens and you cant say squat. Yes, the HOA can approve you to do something, but if you build a fence on an easement without a survey, its your fault, even though it was approved.

Buy maybe it doesnt have an easement. Gotta have a conversation about it.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

09/12/2019 9:52 PM  
Posted By SteveM9 on 09/12/2019 4:35 PM

Talk with him. I'm sure he has maps and easements. Its possible your corner lot has easements that allows him to go 5 ft into your land and plant evergreens and you cant say squat. Yes, the HOA can approve you to do something, but if you build a fence on an easement without a survey, its your fault, even though it was approved.

Buy maybe it doesnt have an easement. Gotta have a conversation about it.

Good point by Steve.

You must satisfy 2 sets of requirements - The HOA/Developer AND the local zoning laws.

Then again, your contractors should have checked local ordinances before they planned your yard.

That's especially true where it was obvious that every other home had setbacks.

In your shoes, I would reach out to your local zoning office to find out if this requirement is coming from them.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA or Developer rules?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement