Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, February 26, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Mini Google StreetView
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

08/22/2019 12:15 PM  
Posted By GlennA4 on 08/22/2019 11:43 AM
My style doesn't differ from that, but nothing about me personally really plays into this. I'm determined to provide a tool to save Management Companies time & money to accomplish their contracted duties of compliance review in a safer, more efficient manner that I believe is actually better than the current system. It will certainly attach exponentially more photos to each homeowner's file to provide a dispute/question resolution tool that doesn't currently exist. And we all know money talks.

My system is unproven on a large scale at this point so there will be naysayers. I truly understand your point of view. I've also obviously thought about those objections a long time ago and overcome them through my system in my opinion. I'd prefer you to reserve full judgement on things you haven't seen the full picture of (there's a lot of detail in my product that just can't be conveyed through here), but you certainly have a right to do and say what you want.

How management companies choose to use this tool and the savings that come with it to focus on things like the priorities you mentioned above is up them. You can still care about your community, do a great job, AND use an effective system to make a profit. That's just my opinion. And yes, you are fortunate if your boards shared your views! That doesn't always happen.

Thanks for the input again!

Gently, I'm going to suggest that you not take such an argumentative tone when you are trying to sell this to management companies. It's great that you think your product is awesome and amazing and everyone needs it. If people disagree, calling them naysayers and arguing that their objections are meaningless isn't going to win them over to you.

Throughout this thread, your tone has been that your system is great and anyone who disagrees is either stupid or sadly misinformed. It's really off putting.

Clearly, you know everything about HOA management so I'm sure I can't possibly give you any information of value, but I noticed you didn't mention C3 (made by ATG) which is the software used by Associa, Connect, the proprietary software developed by and for First Service or CiraConnect, the software developed by and for RealManage. Those three companies are multi-state management companies and the largest players in our game. RealManage licenses a version of CiraConnect to other management companies and self managed properties and C3 is widely availble as well. If you really want this product to be a success you'll need to figure out how to get in with them.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/22/2019 12:28 PM  
I went through a crazy experience on here yesterday where I felt like one person in particular wasn't even reading what I was typing and then just running with their own narrative so my defense shield is up. That's still not an excuse for the tone so I apologize to you in particular. I've put a lot of time and effort into this so I just don't want the narrative to stray too far from the parts I know to be true or subjective.

That said, there's a ton I don't know. I know you are giving me great and experienced feedback. I did not know about those companies so that gives me a new direction to head. It may not turn into anything. Please accept my apology.
RichardP13

08/22/2019 12:55 PM  
In California, we need to properly document violations. Let's say I have three types of violations I am focusing on tomorrow during my monthly inspection tour. One is for trash cans not stored and out of view from the common area, second is recreation vehicles on the street and/or driveways and third, lawns not maintained. In my letters, I will state the date and time of the inspection an d the pictures taken will also be time-stamped. If a hearing has to be called because the violation hasn't been corrected, the person who did the inspection or filed the complaint is to be present during the hearing verifying the accuracy of the information. In this case, your company is the one providing the information or person from vehicle a violation notice is being created. Is a representative from your company going to be available?

If I was being hired to just to do violations, then I would turn down the RFP. I detest doing violation walks, but they are a necessary evil. But, when I am doing the agreed upon inspection, it is not only for violations. It will be inspecting landscape issue or projects, is the pool and pool area cleaned and maintained, how is the equipment, maybe meet with a vendor, posting notices,, meeting a homeowner, working with a committee., etc.

When we answer a RFP, we will videotape the complex for reference. If we are fortunate enough to win the bid, we will be an extensive video taping of the complex and detailed pictures of all the amenities that will require maintenance.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

08/22/2019 12:56 PM  
Yes, yes you will love our association. We have cameras that go up and down the street looking for possible violations. Nothing escapes us.......
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/22/2019 1:40 PM  
I mean I am my company right now. Anything is negotiable. I'd like to show you what it is and see if that triggers an avenue for success in your mind for my company and for you. I am not an HOA expert. I am a guy that had an idea, got told by high level people at several management companies around my house that it was a great idea, and decided to make it a reality. I've made a proof of concept and I'm here peddling it looking for an opportunity. I don't have it all figured out, but I think you'd be more impressed after seeing it and it will answer a lot of questions.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

08/22/2019 2:36 PM  
Be careful. Big Brother is watching........
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/22/2019 3:55 PM  
I agree with Barbara. Your not selling your service very well. It's basically just missing the mark. HOA's don't generate business. MC's are separate from HOA's. Passing savings onto a MC does NOT equate savings passed onto a HOA.

My previous life I did work as an outside/inside sales person. So going to be brutally honest. Someone telling you that your product/service is a great idea isn't necessarily BUYING your product/services. Your most likely just dealing with some nice people who just want you off the phone. To go and decide to make this idea your career? Why???

What are your costs for this product/service? Are you going to be licensed and insured for this business? Most HOA's/MC's will ONLY do business with those licensed/insured. Is this going to be a local or national operation? Are you going to incorporate as an LLC or S-Corporation? Is this a Product or is it a Service?

Your trying to sell your "idea" but you are argumentative. Plus not receptive to hearing advice. You told me that I was in the majority of people who wouldn't purchase/support your idea. However, I've yet to see 1 poster say they would be interested. The idea lack much follow through except for talk. If your going "sell" your product/service need to LISTEN to what other's ideas are they want with your idea. A lone idea doesn't sell unless others buy it.

Former HOA President
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/22/2019 4:12 PM  
I don't apologize to you by the way.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

08/22/2019 4:31 PM  
It's interesting to watch two people who obviously disagree argue back and forth, time and time again, knowing full well they will never change each others mind. I'm not sure what the point is but I do find it mildly entertaining to witness and it's free!
RichardP13

08/22/2019 4:48 PM  
I love watching an idiot trying to make a point. It's the same watching Twitter on a daily basis.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/22/2019 5:03 PM  
Wait, are you calling me an idiot or Melissa?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/22/2019 5:41 PM  
Richard is calling me the idiot. He's so original. Wouldn't trust his opinion on anything much. Let's just say I would never hire him as a MC for my HOA.

Glad I "amuse" you... LOL! Just making a point you want your opinion given back to you, this isn't the place. Don't ask for an opinion and get offended by the response isn't what you want to hear. I deal with reality. The reality is that this "Business" model is flawed. Either let this person go blindly through their idea or show some light on it.

Former HOA President
RichardP13

08/22/2019 6:30 PM  
Melissa answered you correctly. She wouldn't hire a MC, whether it was me or someone else, because quite frankly, she has no idea what we do. She thinks we are a contractor, just like the landscape or the pool guy.

To each their own.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/22/2019 6:39 PM  
Yep. It's amazing how little people understand about what you do Richard. A lot of residents think an MC is the HOA itself. Anyways, the MC is my target client. Luckily, you do understand what I'm trying to do here even if you don't think it will work.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/22/2019 8:35 PM  
Simply put Richard. Are you or are you NOT paid by a HOA to do your work? Do you have a VOTE or an OWNER/MEMBER in the HOA you represent? If not, then you are a PAID contractor to a HOA.

Former HOA President
RichardP13

08/22/2019 9:29 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 08/22/2019 8:35 PM
Simply put Richard. Are you or are you NOT paid by a HOA to do your work? Do you have a VOTE or an OWNER/MEMBER in the HOA you represent? If not, then you are a PAID contractor to a HOA.

Melissa, you are just plain ignorant. You pass yourself off as something you're not. While I am paid by the Association, it is to do THEIR work, not mine. If the toilet overflows in the middle of the night, they don't call the landscaper, they call me. If the pool doesn't work, they don't call the accountant, they call me. If legal papers have to be served, they don't call the janitor, they call me. If a house needs to get sold, I am the one they call. Board meetings, who do you think runs them, takes the minutes, prepares the budget.

You self ran a HOA, who knows what size. You don't do it any longer, and we won't ask why. You don't even live in one any longer. Your experience is with yours only, and yours is probably not typically of most HOA's, especially in the more heavily regulated states. Yeah, California has more regulations than I would like, but then we have to wipe your butts down in Alabama ever once in a while.

You don't like what MC's do, I get, but quite frankly, you really don't know what the hell we really do.

Have a good life!
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/23/2019 4:11 AM  
While I am paid to do the HOA's job? Mmm... Paid contractor to the HOA. All things a MC does for a HOA is NEGOTIABLE and CONTRACTUAL. A MC is NOT a member of the HOA. I am the one that is ignorant and doesn't know what I am talking about...

A MC job is to do what the HOA asks of them NOT what the MC does for them. It is why the lines between MC and HOA are blurred. A HOA hires a MC to do certain work for them for many factors. (Services, ignorance, don't want to do certain jobs). A MC can tend to take over the HOA's role which feeds in a vicious circle of where does the lines separate?

If a MC wasn't a paid contractor, then why can a HOA be self-managed?

Former HOA President
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

08/23/2019 7:47 AM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 08/22/2019 12:56 PM
Yes, yes you will love our association. We have cameras that go up and down the street looking for possible violations. Nothing escapes us.......

Minority Report

In the year 2054 HOA violations are virtually eliminated from Washington D.C. thanks to an elite HOA enforcing squad "Pre-violation". They use three gifted humans (called "Pre-Cogs") with special powers to see into the future and predict HOA violations before they happen.....
RichardP13

08/23/2019 8:45 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 08/23/2019 4:11 AM
A MC is NOT a member of the HOA. I am the one that is ignorant and doesn't know what I am talking about...

ACTUALLY, that is a correct statement! There are HOA's out there that Directors aren't required to Members and members were not required to be owners. I currently manage a properly where only the president needs to be a director, but the director doesn't need to be a owner. I have been asked by a former association that is run by a dictator to run for their Board. Again, their Directors don't need to be owners. Their docs were never changed. It is clear you have no idea how HOA's work outside your former little world.
RichardP13

08/23/2019 8:46 AM  
Posted By SteveM9 on 08/23/2019 7:47 AM
Posted By JohnC46 on 08/22/2019 12:56 PM

Minority Report

In the year 2054 HOA violations are virtually eliminated from Washington D.C. thanks to an elite HOA enforcing squad "Pre-violation". They use three gifted humans (called "Pre-Cogs") with special powers to see into the future and predict HOA violations before they happen.....

We might laugh now, but that could very well be other people's (not mine) future. You may be executed without due process for leaving your trash receptacle out past their designated time period.
PestY

08/23/2019 9:41 AM  
We might laugh now, but that could very well be other people's (not mine) future. You may be executed without due process for leaving your trash receptacle out past their designated time period.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Been there, Done that

Interesting 'lay-out'.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Mini Google StreetView

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement