Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, February 28, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Mini Google StreetView
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 4:19 AM  
I’ve created a way to capture images and automatically associate the desired images with the proper addresses for compliance review on the website. This will save significant time, liability, and money for the review process. It will also return photos of EVERY home EVERY drive.

So my questions are... A) Does this sound like an attractive idea to you? B) Do you have a suggested company/person I should contact in an effort to introduce this to the market?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/21/2019 4:50 AM  
Bad idea and an invasion of privacy... Even Google has gotten sued for posting people's homes. Plus can you use the "google" platform to provide this "service" without paying them?

I don't think this whole idea is necessary nor wanted.

Former HOA President
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 4:59 AM  
Thank you for the feedback. The last google image of my home is from 2015 so that's not going to service much for the purposes of what I'm trying to accomplish here. My system allows for regular compliance reviews (typically biweekly). The photos are not for public consumption. Photos are already being taken of people's home every day for this same purpose so I don't see where the invasion of privacy is relevant.

It may be that my idea is not necessary or wanted, but you are literally the first person of over 200 that I've talked to about this with negative feedback since I started this over 2 years ago.

I really do appreciate the feedback. I'm definitely looking for the truth and all perspectives.
LetA
(Nevada)

08/21/2019 5:39 AM  
BAD idea, add to that. the time and date of the Google image is from months or years ago. Just stick to your governing documents that allows you easements and access to homeowners property for inspections.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 5:49 AM  
I think some conclusions are being drawn so far that just aren't factual. Maybe I didn't explain what I'm doing clear enough.

I'm not using Google images. My cameras take photos automatically from the street each drive. There's no easement violations at all. The purpose of what I'm doing is to reduce vehicles, collect photos of every house every drive for violation review on a computer, and reduce Management Company cost and liability. These photos aren't public and they aren't a privacy violation. I'm still sticking to the governing documents.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback.
CjC

08/21/2019 5:57 AM  
Our rules are such that you are only in violation if the violation can be seen by a common area or it is a violation that infringes on a neighbor who can see it. It would be a stretch that would end up in court if you receive a violation from a drone etc.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 6:01 AM  
I'm not using a drone. It's just cameras on a vehicle. The vehicle drives the streets. That's the only photo views that are returned for violation review. It's no different than what's taking place now except photos of every home are returned, instead of just those deemed to be in violation by the driver.

There's no distracted / stop & go activity by the driver.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 6:11 AM  
To be clear, this has nothing to do with Google at all. It's not 360 cameras. There's no drones. I'm not using Google in any way. My photos will be taken by cameras on the same schedule that an HOA is currently reviewed (i.e. biweekly) from the same spots the vehicles travel now. My subject was an attempt to make what I'm doing easily understandable. I think I won't use the terminology used in my subject anymore.

I welcome some constructive feedback please.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

08/21/2019 6:18 AM  
Google has aerial and street views. Which do you offer?

I could see value in an imaging system that captures the location of our trees at ground level.

Aerial views show the crowns of the tallest trees - which misses a lot.
Street views show what you see when driving - not what's visible from an off-street perspective.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 6:25 AM  
I do not offer aerial views. The cameras are mounted at the top of the windows of a vehicle on both sides of the car. The cameras take photos at a set interval (i.e 0.5 or 1 sec/photo). My program has an algorithm that automatically associates the photos to the correct homes, discarding photos outside the preset radius'.

The current process is to assess violations from as a driver slowly moves through an HOA in his/her vehicle OR walks the HOA. These photos are from that same vantage point.

I'm not trying to change the photo view. I'm trying to provide more photos, less drivers, safer technique, less liability, less cost to Management Company/HOA itself/Software Company, historical review options, homeowner portal so they can see their home's history in photos, etc.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

08/21/2019 6:38 AM  
Have you reached out to some local MCs? What was their response?

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 6:43 AM  
Yes I have. They ALL love the idea, but they want it fully integrated with software such as TOPS, CINC, Caliber, SmartWebs, etc. I had a meeting with Caliber yesterday and got access to their API so I can merge my product to theirs as an add on. Until yesterday, I thought I had to make a deal with one of those software companies OR try to build mine up to match all of their services (huge undertaking obviously).

So I'm excited that there's an easy way to integrate my service and overcome the MCs only objection. Now I just need to make that happen.

The issue I have is that none of the MCs I talked to used Caliber and the other software companies won't call/email me back so far. So I need to find a Caliber user and ask them if they'd be interested in my services as an add on. If I get some positive feedback there I'll spend the money necessary to integrate.

Thanks for the question!
RichardP13

08/21/2019 8:54 AM  
I use the same technology. I use a Russian spy satellite, left over from the 2016 elections. The images are up to the minute, the only problem I have is getting the correct translation.
RichardP13

08/21/2019 8:55 AM  
I use the same technology. I use a Russian spy satellite, left over from the 2016 elections. The images are up to the minute, the only problem I have is getting the correct translation.
GenoS
(Florida)

08/21/2019 12:29 PM  
Posted By GlennA4 on 08/21/2019 6:43 AM
Yes I have. They ALL love the idea, but they want it fully integrated with software such as TOPS, CINC, Caliber, SmartWebs, etc. I had a meeting with Caliber yesterday and got access to their API so I can merge my product to theirs as an add on. Until yesterday, I thought I had to make a deal with one of those software companies OR try to build mine up to match all of their services (huge undertaking obviously).

If you think this has a chance to be commercially viable then you should also take steps to protect yourself. Companies have been known to steal ideas and innovations before. If you're not ready to file for a patent, or if that's not even possible, at the very least you should consider getting a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Especially if you're "integrating" with someone else's system. The fine print regarding the use of an API, for instance, might grant them rights to your intellectual property that you don't want them to have.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 12:41 PM  
Thank you for the advice! I do have an NDA in place with them. I do think it's commercially viable. What do you think? I've been advised that the patent thing is a waste of money for this, but I am at a point where I don't mind airing it out on this forum because I've put a lot of work into it and know how difficult it has been to get to this stage. I have a bigger vision than I'm sharing here and some major hurdles that aren't easily or able to be duplicated that we've jumped over. The risk is real, but I think it's worth the reward if I can get some good feedback and/or the right contact out of a forum like this.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the advice.
GenoS
(Florida)

08/21/2019 2:06 PM  
I've had ideas about a similar solution for my community, but there are significant show-stoppers here. One is predictably cost. In a perfect world we'd have a security robot (sort of like this) roaming our 4,200 ft. of roads and taking still photos every few seconds. They'd be periodically reviewed, but we don't do "compliance reviews" of any sort. We're self-managed so even though our current bookkeeper uses TOPS (and the one before that Caliber), we don't use them to find or report violations. We also have a 4,000 ft. perimeter walking path that's surfaced with crushed shells and we'd need the thing to traverse that as well since many homes back up onto it and that's where we find many violations. But "many" is relative and only on the order of a dozen a year or so.

If we had something we'd definitely use it in-house. We only have 100 homes on about 25 acres so browsing through a set of a few hundred pictures twice a month wouldn't be onerous. The biggest "problem" we have is residents putting things outside in the back of their homes. We already have Rules against that, but it's hard enough to recruit people to walk around the property for anything when the weather is good, nevermind when a hurricane is 48 hours away. A quick tour with a camera mounted on wheels would be ideal in a case like that, but only if it could get around to the backs of the homes.

We also have a lot of common property and I also thought to perhaps buy or rent a 360 deg. camera to drive around the community and create a full panoramic photo array, a la Google Street View, that could be used as a virtual tour of the neighborhood. That could also be used by real estate professionals who could show prospective buyers a tour of the place from the convenience of their office. That kind of survey would only need to be done infrequently, though.

A management company would probably be able to make more efficiant use of it, especially if they deployed it in multiple associations.

I see TOPS allegedly has an API that others can use to push or pull data in and out of TOPS. I looked at that for the purpose of integrating some accounting data into a website we were considering. The effort never went too far as TOPS seemed to be extremely unfriendly to work with. They have a Partner Integration page on their website but the link at the bottom to their "TOPS Connect App Store" doesn't always work. When it does work all I've ever seen there is a smartphone app for managers.
RichardP13

08/21/2019 2:10 PM  
Posted By GlennA4 on 08/21/2019 6:43 AM

So I'm excited that there's an easy way to integrate my service and overcome the MCs only objection. Now I just need to make that happen.

The issue I have is that none of the MCs I talked to used Caliber and the other software companies won't call/email me back so far. So I need to find a Caliber user and ask them if they'd be interested in my services as an add on. If I get some positive feedback there I'll spend the money necessary to integrate.

Thanks for the question!

My email is [email protected] and I am a Caliber user. My subscription to the Russian spy satellite is about to expire.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 2:22 PM  
Geno,

This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for when I posted this thread. I have a solution for all of those obstacles. I mentioned I had a few tricks up my sleeve that aren't easily copied. The common areas issue is one of them.

I appreciate the critical comments from others early in the thread and I love to hear the obstacles you described because it tells me there's people out there thinking of ways to do things more efficiently that will probably buy my Version 2 or 3 product. The problem for me is that I have Version 1, which is a proof of concept or minimally viable product. It does function and I am proud of it more than I can describe, but it needs more work and software is expensive and risky to contract. I need to find people willing to use my end product. At that point, I'll spend the additional money on it.

I've tried to contact several of these software companies. Caliber is the only one that gave me the time of day and API access. TOPS won't even call me back. Their chat personnel take 10-20 minutes to respond to a question and it's a short answer. I'm frustrated but determined.

Anyways, thank you thank you thank you. It's harder than I thought to find people to give real feedback like you did and go beyond the surface level with their preconceived attitudes on the subject.

Glenn
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/21/2019 4:16 PM  
It's just not a good idea. Let's put it this way... How would you feel if your HOA bought into this? Would you like your property/home being put on blast? Remember when you point fingers there are always 3 pointing back...

Former HOA President
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 4:36 PM  
Put it whatever way you want and point as many fingers as you want, but you're in the vast minority so far. You might be right though. We'll see. And I would feel great if my HOA bought into it. Thanks for asking. Nobody said anybody was "put on blast" and if that's what you got from anything I've said you simply just didn't read or understand what I'm doing. I understand using the term "google street view" in the title was a mistake that may have inferred something that I'm not. I apologize for that, but I understand the hill you've planted your tree on here. I just think you don't have all the facts and should keep a more open mind.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/21/2019 4:38 PM  
I am trying not to lean toward your spam...

Former HOA President
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 4:42 PM  
...whatever that means. Look, I respect your opinion for what it is. Let's just say we disagree. I'm not angry about it. I just believe I should be given a chance to defend my product with facts is all I'm saying. I feel you jumped to conclusions and slandered this thread early. I'm going to address that since we are in a forum here.

Anyways, I'm not going to respond to you after I hit send here. You can have the last word. We both need to move on.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

08/21/2019 5:01 PM  
Daily photos looking for a photographic violation? Of what? Without anyone complaining? I dont see the point.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 5:08 PM  
No sir. Photos on the same scheduled basis that currently exists, not daily. The system simply collects photos of all homes instead of just violations for review on a computer. The review is done for compliance, the same principle that exists now. This saves time for the management company. Time is money. This money could even be passed on as a discount to your HOA fees. I'm sorry you don't see the point. People complain about everything, but I'm prepared to handle objections.

Thanks
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/21/2019 5:09 PM  
I agree Steven. I don't really see the point or the profit. Except the person selling the "product".

Sorry not telling you what you want to hear to get you off the phone... The reality is what it is. Taking pictures of violations so can use it to enforce HOA violations? Not so much...

Former HOA President
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/21/2019 5:12 PM  
Uhm don't follow the logic on reducing HOA dues? It costs money to buy this "product/service". So there is still money coming out of the HOA's budget. Fines are NOT sources of income for a HOA nor Management company. So not much of a financial benefit to a HOA at all.

Former HOA President
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

Complicance of what? One photograph of the front of the house? Useless.

Whats it going to catch? A single trash can left out front overnight?

Again, I dont see the point.
GlennA4
(Texas)

I have and can explain the profit potential to those that are interested. I don't understand the "get you off the phone comment." Yes, the reality is what it is. Pictures are taken every day to enforce HOA violations so I don't understand "Not so much" either.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/21/2019 5:16 PM  
You have NO idea how a HOA budget works. Especially when you mention "Profit making". A HOA is NOT a profit making. A HOA makes a profit, then they have to pay the Tax Piper.

There is NO profit to be made here, reduction in dues, or use that someone can't already do when enforcing the violation. A HOA board or MC already takes pictures of the violation when sending notices.

Sorry but your selling an idea that has little to no use for a HOA just your pocket...

Former HOA President
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 5:16 PM  
Money is not coming out of the HOA's budget. Management companies are my target clients. I can SAVE them money. If they can service the HOA for less money they can A) pocket that money and/or B) charge less (i.e. less HOA dues).

Again, I didn't say anything about fines. That's no part of my business model at all and doesn't benefit me in any way, shape, or form.

I don't understand where you are coming up with this stuff.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 5:18 PM  
It's multiple photos of every home. Compliance with the CCRs. It can catch anything a human being standing or driving outside a house can catch (which, again, happens daily and is the way HOA Management Companies enforce violations). A single trash can is a violation in many neighborhoods, yes. And yes, my system can mark that.

Most people do see the point.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

08/21/2019 5:22 PM  
Posted By GlennA4 on 08/21/2019 4:59 AM
....what I'm trying to accomplish here. My system allows for regular compliance reviews (typically biweekly).

You said yourself bi-weekly photos. Daily, twice a a week, whatever.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 5:23 PM  
I worked as a Community Manager at an HOA Management Company. What do you know about what I know about HOA budgets?!

An HOA Management Company IS for making profit Melissa!!!!!!!!!!!! They aren't a charity. There is a difference between HOA & HOA Management Companies. I have clearly stated which one I am talking about throughout this discussion.

There is a profit to be made. There is a reduction in dues (if the management company wants to share the savings). The fact that they already take pictures tells me you're not even reading what I type (I take multiple pictures of ALLLLLL houses...there's a difference). You may not see a benefit, but that's your loss. I don't care at this point.

You can't make that last statement. You don't have facts, you make up your own conclusions, and you're not logical.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 5:25 PM  
Haha. There's quite a bit of difference between daily & bi-weekly Steve. So yes, I did say it myself. Please google the definitions of those 2 words. They are about 13 apart (14-1).
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/21/2019 5:27 PM  
The basis of how a HOA works is where coming from...

Let's follow the bouncing ball shall we? A MC works for the HOA. The HOA collects dues and a portion of it goes to paying the MC. The HOA may request the MC to enforce violations. Your taking pictures of the violations for the MC to enforce. Which may be through the use of Fines. Those fines go to the HOA. They don't go the MC. Fines are NOT profit but punitive expenses.

So your not "saving" anyone money.

Former HOA President
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 5:34 PM  
I DID NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT say the income comes from fines. You are killing me!!!! This is crazy. The fact that you called me illogical is ridiculous.

I am getting sick of typing things that you can't comprehend, but I'll try one more time...

1) Yes, I'm taking pictures for the MC
2) NOOOOOOOOO, it has nothing do with fines. The MC charges a rate to do many things. Sometimes, one of those things is assessing violations. The cost to assess those violations is factored into the MC's charge.
3) If I can reduce the cost to assess violations (and I can) for the MC, they can A) reduce their charge (benefiting the HOA) and/or B) keep that extra profit (NOTTTTT profit from fines, but profit from reducing their cost)

So I AMMMMMMMMM "saving" people money!!!!

Pay attention to what I'm saying for just a few minutes before firing off these ridiculous accusations. It's literally not sane what you are saying.
RichardP13

08/21/2019 5:41 PM  
Posted By GlennA4 on 08/21/2019 5:34 PM
I DID NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT say the income comes from fines. You are killing me!!!! This is crazy. The fact that you called me illogical is ridiculous.

I am getting sick of typing things that you can't comprehend, but I'll try one more time...

1) Yes, I'm taking pictures for the MC
2) NOOOOOOOOO, it has nothing do with fines. The MC charges a rate to do many things. Sometimes, one of those things is assessing violations. The cost to assess those violations is factored into the MC's charge.
3) If I can reduce the cost to assess violations (and I can) for the MC, they can A) reduce their charge (benefiting the HOA) and/or B) keep that extra profit (NOTTTTT profit from fines, but profit from reducing their cost)

So I AMMMMMMMMM "saving" people money!!!!

Pay attention to what I'm saying for just a few minutes before firing off these ridiculous accusations. It's literally not sane what you are saying.

Don't pay attention to Melissa, she is completely CLUELESS!
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/21/2019 6:00 PM  
So Richard would you pay for this? Would you see a cost savings for your MC in doing so? Just curious from someone who is "clueless" on such things... Care to share your opinion and pay for this?

Former HOA President
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 6:01 PM  
Thank you sir. I was beginning to think I'm on some reality episode. This has been crazy.

Anyways, to anyone reading this thread that likes saving money and time now or in the future, the fact is that I was able to tell some of the story above. I think the intelligent ones will at least "see the point" even if you disagree with the method, etc. You can contact me at [email protected] and I'd love to show you more.

I'm normally very professional and won't respond at all when I'm personally attacked because I know who I am and it doesn't matter. The issue here is that I've spent money, time, and effort problem-solving and creating something I'm excited about (for more than just myself believe it or not). I don't need any particular person to feel the same way, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone accuse my product of something it's not (or vice versa) when I know they don't have the facts and it can persuade other people.

I'm not asking anyone to agree. I'm asking you to ask questions, raise concerns, or tell me something I don't know. If you want to have a debate, let's debate. I'm ready. I may learn something I don't know that stops this in it's track. Or you may learn something if you're open.
RichardP13

08/21/2019 6:19 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 08/21/2019 6:00 PM
So Richard would you pay for this? Would you see a cost savings for your MC in doing so? Just curious from someone who is "clueless" on such things... Care to share your opinion and pay for this?

Well, you asked for it.

I happen to use Caliber for my management software. There are some more extensive HOA software that cost much more, but it is something I wouldn't ever use. I have used three software packages and Caliber has by far been the much responsive.

I currently use something like this. I can use a tablet in the field to handle compliance issues and maintenance issue. I have a map where each lot is separated and I click on that lot to bring up the customer file. It will show the complete history of compliance and also any maintenance that may have been done at their unit. If I notice a violation, I will click the unit on the map, select the drop down box of the violation, a date and time is recorded and a picture is taken. I have 313 different letters for the different steps in the compliance process based on the rules and regulations of every individual association and the six steps of the process. Before I leave, the file is saved and the letters are generated before I even get back to the office. Through the software's web portal the Board can access all that information in real-time and stay on top of its progress.

I actually have mine go one step further and it links with a title company to access the property profile of that unit.

I know this went way over your head, but not all of us are clueless.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 6:23 PM  
I asked for it or Melissa?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/21/2019 6:29 PM  
Did not go a bit over my head. I did a similar thing myself. Just not everything electronically. That being that our HOA wasn't big on Technology. It was best to do hard copies.

My point is that if someone presented me with this, I would take a hard pass. It doesn't provide cost savings, time saved, or provide much benefit to pass onto anyone.

If owning a business, this isn't something that would have me passing any savings onto my customer the HOA. I don't see that happening. not buying what is being pitched.

Former HOA President
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 6:30 PM  
Nevermind...I see that you copied her message so it was to her.

Just to be clear, I'm sending less vehicles out than the current model because the drivers spend much less time (none) looking for violations while they are at the HOA. So the savings are in car, gas, insurance, & drivers. The increase in people is on the computer review. Overall, testing and extrapolation of numbers tells me I can do it much cheaper than it's currently being done. And there will be photos of EVERY home each time.

The system will still do all those other things you mentioned, the violation will just be assessed from the office with zoom functions, etc. with the eventual goal of using Machine Learning (AI) to detect new violations and limit the amount of homes that need an initial review.

Thanks Richard!
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 6:34 PM  
It doesn't provide cost savings, time saved, or provide much benefit to pass onto anyone.

You have no facts to back up that statement and I do have facts to the contrary. Take your hard pass, jump on someone else' thread and try to spin your yarn there. I'm officially taking a hard pass on you.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/21/2019 6:35 PM  
If this is still using Google street view... My house used to be yellow. It's now green. Still shows it yellow. Plus with trees cut down. So don't find it that accurate.

Former HOA President
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 6:37 PM  
OMG. You don't read or understand anything. God bless you Melissa. I wish you well, but I'm done explaining what I've already explained.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 6:38 PM  
And that top part of my 6:34:07 message was supposed to be a screen grab of Melissa's quote "It doesn't provide cost savings..." I did not write that for anyone looking at that.
RichardP13

08/21/2019 6:40 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 08/21/2019 6:29 PM
Did not go a bit over my head. I did a similar thing myself. Just not everything electronically. That being that our HOA wasn't big on Technology. It was best to do hard copies.

My point is that if someone presented me with this, I would take a hard pass. It doesn't provide cost savings, time saved, or provide much benefit to pass onto anyone.

If owning a business, this isn't something that would have me passing any savings onto my customer the HOA. I don't see that happening. not buying what is being pitched.

I am big on technology. It allows me to complete a comprehensive escrow package anywhere in the world in 5 minutes. I don't even have to be in my office. Outside of onsite inspections and meetings, I could run my business anywhere in the world as long as I have some sort of internet connection.

I am afraid you wouldn't know cost saving if it...well...you get my point.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/21/2019 6:49 PM  
We were not technology driven in our HOA because many of the board members were not of age of technology. So I accommodated them and others. Doesn't make it worst or better. Just the facts. Not everyone can share in the technology.

Know cost savings isn't going to be passed on to my customers. The contract is already signed on how much I would get paid. Violation enforcement isn't something one should "profit" from. It's a service.

Former HOA President
TimB4
(Virginia)

08/21/2019 8:20 PM  
We are self managed and do an annual inspection.
We take photos of any violations for use in the process.

When a property sells, we take a pictures of the outside of the property that goes into the Lot's file.
This is done to document what changes were on the house when purchased.

Our Association would not have a need for what you are offering.
RichardP13

08/21/2019 10:42 PM  
Unfortunately, some associations want their CCRs enforced and don't have have the stomach to do it themselves and thus hire others to do it for them.
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/21/2019 11:44 PM  
Sounds like ya'll have a good system Tim. Like a lot of things in life, there's certainly other ways to skin the cat. I'm glad what you're doing is working for you.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/22/2019 5:00 AM  
We did enforce our restrictions ourselves. Not by a MC. I don't see how this is a cost savings except for maybe the MC IF they are tasked to do such restriction enforcement. Not all MC's do this service. Even if they did and they saved money, they wouldn't benefit the HOA member in paying less dues. The MC would benefit by paying less money for the service.

My point being to sell this "service" as a way for a HOA to save money doesn't connect. I know of no MC that because they save on one service passes the savings onto the HOA. Plus one doesn't randomly reduce or increase HOA's dues. So there is no cost savings for a HOA. To advertise as such is snake oil.

Former HOA President
GlennA4
(Texas)

08/22/2019 5:19 AM  
You have no idea what you’re taking about. HOAs create business whether you like it or not. Business is not an evil pursuit. You’ve said what you think. I’m sure the people reading this can come to their own conclusions. Congratulations if they agree with you. I’m confident they won’t because I’ve already talked to a bunch of them. And they actually listened to what I said by the way.

I’m not interested in attempting adult conversation with you anymore. That ship has sailed. This isn’t meant to be responded to. You’re exhausting. Go shed your wisdom elsewhere and I’ll provide my “service” to those with a brain.
TimB4
(Virginia)

08/22/2019 6:29 AM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 08/21/2019 10:42 PM
Unfortunately, some associations want their CCRs enforced and don't have have the stomach to do it themselves and thus hire others to do it for them.

So True.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

08/22/2019 10:08 AM  
Some feedback from an HOA manager...

Your concept is not entirely new - lots of management companies employ "compliance coordinators" to drive properties taking photos of houses in violation. Yours is the same idea, just without a person driving the car. I never liked using a compliance driver though, for the same reasons I don't see myself using your service.

First and foremost - It's not saving me a drive. Properties cannot be effectively managed from a computer, in an office far away. I'm still going to drive out to the property. If I'm not doing a violation drive, the visit might be a little shorter, but...

The time it would take me to pore over a photo of every house in the neighborhood taken by your camera car would exceed the time it takes to drive down a street and stop when a violation catches my eye. So it's not saving me a drive or time.

Finally, what you see in the picture and what you see in person aren't always the same. I found that with yard maintenance, yards that looked a mess up close didn't look that bad in the photo. And maybe a photo captures items in someones driveway or yard, but in person I can see the owner is working in the yard, so those items won't be there long.

This just isn't something that would benefit me as a manager.

On and on a practical note, the large, national management companies use their own proprietary software, so you're going to have significant challenges making any inroads there.

GlennA4
(Texas)

08/22/2019 10:42 AM  
Barbara,

Thank you for the feedback. I understand it won't be a fit for everyone, but I believe I can save an HOA Management Company significant money so I'm banking on that being interesting to some.

I understand my system has limitations, but I've experienced one very similar (probably exactly) to yours when I was a Community Manager and I know there's plenty of issues with that system. That's how I came up with this idea after all. I would argue that properties can indeed be effectively managed from a computer, in an office far away just as effectively as they are being managed right now. Neither system is perfect, but mine provides photos of every home every drive for historical review if a question arises.

This system doesn't discourage driving out to the property. It just doesn't require it.

I disagree that the time it would take you to pour over photos of every house would take longer than the drives. I've tested this theory. But even if it's true that you take less time looking at homes while driving, what does it really say about the quality of your system's inspection vs. mine? In other words, do you think anything is being missed by your drivers currently? It'd be naive to think that. That said, if you take less time my business model will be broken so I better be right on this one. I've put my money where my mouth is so we will see.

You're right about the software. It will be a challenge to marry my product to theirs. I have an open API with Caliber already and I'm in conversation with a couple other companies so I'm hopeful there is a path.

Thanks again!
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

08/22/2019 11:21 AM  
Posted By GlennA4 on 08/22/2019 10:42 AM
Barbara,

Thank you for the feedback. I understand it won't be a fit for everyone, but I believe I can save an HOA Management Company significant money so I'm banking on that being interesting to some.

I understand my system has limitations, but I've experienced one very similar (probably exactly) to yours when I was a Community Manager and I know there's plenty of issues with that system. That's how I came up with this idea after all. I would argue that properties can indeed be effectively managed from a computer, in an office far away just as effectively as they are being managed right now. Neither system is perfect, but mine provides photos of every home every drive for historical review if a question arises.

This system doesn't discourage driving out to the property. It just doesn't require it.

I disagree that the time it would take you to pour over photos of every house would take longer than the drives. I've tested this theory. But even if it's true that you take less time looking at homes while driving, what does it really say about the quality of your system's inspection vs. mine? In other words, do you think anything is being missed by your drivers currently? It'd be naive to think that. That said, if you take less time my business model will be broken so I better be right on this one. I've put my money where my mouth is so we will see.

You're right about the software. It will be a challenge to marry my product to theirs. I have an open API with Caliber already and I'm in conversation with a couple other companies so I'm hopeful there is a path.

Thanks again!

I expect we just have different management styles. Writing violation letters has never been my priority as a manager. My priorities are maintenance of the common property and positive engagement of the membership, which I find takes care of covenant enforcement on its own. Fortunately I have almost always worked for boards who share that view.

GlennA4
(Texas)

08/22/2019 11:43 AM  
My style doesn't differ from that, but nothing about me personally really plays into this. I'm determined to provide a tool to save Management Companies time & money to accomplish their contracted duties of compliance review in a safer, more efficient manner that I believe is actually better than the current system. It will certainly attach exponentially more photos to each homeowner's file to provide a dispute/question resolution tool that doesn't currently exist. And we all know money talks.

My system is unproven on a large scale at this point so there will be naysayers. I truly understand your point of view. I've also obviously thought about those objections a long time ago and overcome them through my system in my opinion. I'd prefer you to reserve full judgement on things you haven't seen the full picture of (there's a lot of detail in my product that just can't be conveyed through here), but you certainly have a right to do and say what you want.

How management companies choose to use this tool and the savings that come with it to focus on things like the priorities you mentioned above is up them. You can still care about your community, do a great job, AND use an effective system to make a profit. That's just my opinion. And yes, you are fortunate if your boards shared your views! That doesn't always happen.

Thanks for the input again!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Mini Google StreetView

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement