Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, April 05, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Yearly meeting requirements???
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SheilaM9
(South Carolina)

07/01/2017 5:50 PM  
Our HOA has not had any meetings since fall 2015 but continue to send bills for HOA fees.
#1 - Is this legal? Is the HOA still a legally recognized entity?
#2 - Can a meeting be held nearly 2 years later and just continue on as never missed?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/01/2017 6:12 PM  
The HOA does not stop existing because you don't have a meeting. There is A LOT of paperwork, voting, and entire process involved. Which is in your CC&R's and/or Articles of Incorporation. Do you have a copy?

As long as there is common area, amenities, or other items shared by all the owners, there's going to be bills to pay. Those bills get paid by dues...

Former HOA President
JanetB2
(Colorado)

07/01/2017 9:38 PM  
Posted By SheilaM9 on 07/01/2017 5:50 PM
Our HOA has not had any meetings since fall 2015 but continue to send bills for HOA fees.
#2 - Can a meeting be held nearly 2 years later and just continue on as never missed?

Well ... CCR's are attached to everyone's Property Titles. Any expenses outlined in those CCR's must be paid for by the owners. The questions is what do your HOA dues cover??? Mine covers irrigation water (a highly valuable commodity) ... So if my HOA did not hold a meeting should I NOT pay for my irrigation water??? If the HOA did not bill and pay for irrigation water shares (which is cheap and my irrigation is around $100 per year + extra for HOA expenses and reserve account) how would I water my 5.75 acres of land? Potentially potable water would cost me two arms and two legs ... which I am not willing to loose ... LOL.

If you and others do not like how your HOA is being ran then you and others need to step up to the plate and replace the BOD at your next annual Membership Meeting OR the members can call a Special Meeting to replace your current BOD sooner. As noted in my scenario I am not sure why you have an issue of paying your fair share of your HOA common expense? When you purchase in an HOA that comes with the territory.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/02/2017 7:24 AM  
Shelia

Typically there must be an Annual Meeting and said meeting must be announced usually 30 days before.

Are you owner or declarant controlled?
TimB4
(Virginia)

07/02/2017 12:30 PM  
Shelia,

Typically, per corporate laws, Directors continue to serve until a replacement is elected or appointed (unless they resign). Therefore, yes, a meeting can be held two years later and things just continue on.

What would you have liked them to do (it's two years later)?

KerryL1
(California)

07/02/2017 7:14 PM  
How often do your governing documents say annual meetings to elect directors should be held? Usually this'd be in your Bylaws.

But even if the current Board or whoever is running your HOA isn't doing the right thing, do NOT stop paying your dues. instead, educate yourself.
KerryL1
(California)

07/02/2017 7:14 PM  
How often do your governing documents say annual meetings to elect directors should be held? Usually this'd be in your Bylaws.

But even if the current Board or whoever is running your HOA isn't doing the right thing, do NOT stop paying your dues. instead, educate yourself.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

07/10/2017 2:36 PM  

The fees are due whether there are meetings or not. Apathy happens. Try to get involved.

Yes, a lack of meetings does not eliminate the HOA.

Again, yes. My neighborhood went almost five years without a meeting. people tend to wait until it's an absolute need to have the meeting; place falling apart, etc.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Yearly meeting requirements???

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement