Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, November 29, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Need Robert's Rules?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RobertG
(Arizona)

02/24/2006 8:10 AM  
Our board voted down a motion to use Robert's Rules of Order on the basis they felt that everyone used these rules anyway and thus didn't need a motion to establish this policy (new HOA - first meeting). Do you think they are safe in doing this?
LisaS
(Illinois)

02/24/2006 4:54 PM  
They can either accept or deny adopting Roberts Rules, so long as they adopt some sort of 'rule policy' (i.e. meeting conduct for Association members and/or Board members)

Without some sort of direction, many people have no idea how a meeting is conducted, or how to conduct themselves. Our Board (I am VP) adopted a casual code of conduct for meetings involving the five of us. We get along very well, and even when we disagree there is respectful discourse.

Our annual open meeting features an agenda, and a general statement by our President reiterating that we will follow our agenda, no outbursts will be allowed, and those who wish to be heard will all be allowed to speak, etc. This way, people know what to expect of us and what is expected of them. It keeps the meeting rolling, and keeps us from chaos!

Lisa

RobertG
(Arizona)

02/25/2006 6:36 AM  
If your legal documents don't specify what rules to use, then how would you know to use Robert's versus someone elses or even make up your own?
RogerB
(Colorado)

02/25/2006 6:37 AM  
RobertG, if they felt everyone used Robert's Rules of Order then why won't they pass a motion to use them? They are probably safe as long as the minority is provided their rights - but it only takes a moment to approve by acclamation. Seems so petty, makes one wonder if there is something else they to which they were reacting.

RogerB
SheliaR
(North Carolina)

02/26/2006 5:17 PM  
I thought as of January 1, 2006, when the new Federal laws went into effect, that ALL associations had to run their Associations under "Roberts Rules of Order"??? PLEASE ADVISE!
RobertG
(Arizona)

02/27/2006 6:24 AM  
Where did you get that idea?
RogerB
(Colorado)

02/27/2006 7:41 AM  
SheliaR, I am not aware of such a federal law. I googled and found nothing on this. Can you give an identity for this law.
Incidently, when making rule to adopt Robert's Rules of Order make sure to clarify they will be used when not in conflict with your bylaws.

RogerB
WilliamsburgH
(North Carolina)

05/11/2006 8:16 AM  

I live in North Carolina and there are some new 2006 HOA laws im my state.

click here >>> http://www.frb-law.com/hoacondochanges.htm

2006 NC law states:
"Board and annual meetings shall be conducted in accordance with the most recent edition of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised."

I'm not sure what other states have these new laws on Robert's Rules. If I find any new information I will post it!
SwanB
(Washington)

05/11/2006 10:26 AM  
We are not bound by state law to use Robert's Rules of Order, however, our bylaws specify that: Robert's Rules of Order, Current Edition, shall be recognized as authority governing all meetings when not in conflict with the law, and our governing documents.
We tend to use a looser 'conduct' at our meetings and adopt that strategy before each meeting. By looser, we don't require the formal calls and motions, etc. as written in Robert's as many members don't know those steps and aren't schooled in parliamentary actions.
However we have one 85 year old gentleman who will fight to his dying breath that a motion was not properly dealt with because we did not use the correct words, etc. as dictated in Robert's Rules of Order. He attends all AGMS and Board meetings and is hard of hearing and even if someone does use the correct phrases, he still doesn't hear it and stands up waving his tattered Robert's.
What to do?
I have had knock-down, drag outs with him over semantics. My life is too short for this nonsense.
RobertG
(Arizona)

05/11/2006 11:11 AM  
I would suggest, if you truly use Robert's Rules, you go to http://www.robertsrules.com/cp/Scripts/ASP/forum/default.asp and ask there. This forum is dedicated and staffed by Robert's Rules experts.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Need Robert's Rules?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement