Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, April 05, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Yearly Financial Reports
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JudithH3
(Ohio)

02/17/2016 12:55 PM  
This may seem rather obvious to some but in looking over the last two years of our association's finance sheets I don't think they're correct. All I need to do is add the checking and savings balances for the beginning of the year, add to that figure the total amount of income (condo fees for the year) and subtract all the disbursements (repairs, insurance bills, etc) from the former figure. This SHOULD be the total amount in your checking, savings and reserve funds. Correct?

I don't think I'm missing anything but the figures for the last two years show a shortage of approximately $5,000 each for both years. I want to be sure that I'm not overlooking anything before I open my mouth.

RichardP13

02/17/2016 1:22 PM  
Really, this is all you give this discussion group. How about what is owed the association, like accounts receivable?
JudithH3
(Ohio)

02/17/2016 1:39 PM  
Richard, All I wanted to know was whether this was the correct way to figure the association's yearly balance. I wasn't asking anyone to figure it for me but if I was using the proper procedure.
GenoS
(Florida)

02/17/2016 1:43 PM  
Transfers to reserves?

Is the discrepancy exactly 5,000?

Are you reconciling the numbers on a balance sheet with a transaction history from a bank account?

The answer to "am I doing it right?" is, "it depends."
PitA

02/17/2016 2:10 PM  
welcome to the wonderful world of forensic accounting

good luck

you will need much ..... and prayer
RichardP13

02/17/2016 2:16 PM  
Posted By JudithH3 on 02/17/2016 1:39 PM
Richard, All I wanted to know was whether this was the correct way to figure the association's yearly balance. I wasn't asking anyone to figure it for me but if I was using the proper procedure.

Exactly where are you getting the numbers. Is the association using cash, accrual, or modified cash accrual for their accounting. Are you looking at an actual balance sheet? Have you looked at the general ledger.

THERE are many things to consider. Also depends on the size of the association as to how complex the issue can be.

It is not as simple as 1 plus 1 equals 2.
JudithH3
(Ohio)

02/17/2016 2:38 PM  
the individual who takes care of the books gave each unit owner a spread sheet for 2015. It's divided in half as to credits and debits as well as numbers for each month.
At the beginning of the sheet she shows a beginning balance of $5737.24 in checking and $21078.35 in savings for a total of $26815.59.

As far as credits she has a total of $33080.00. And for disbursements she has listed $37360.96.

There is also a section where she shows the balances. Checking is $1456.88 and savings is $16081.50 - grand total of $17538.38.

If I've done this correctly, we're short $4,996.25. (if not, what am I missing?)
RichardP13

02/17/2016 2:42 PM  
A spreadsheet? That's all?

Do you have any delinquent homeowners, now or in the past that still owe money?

Do you have a balance sheet?

NpS
(Pennsylvania)

02/17/2016 3:11 PM  
Example:
Invoice comes in on 12.15.2015 for $3,000. Gets logged in as an expense when invoice arrives.
That $3,000 invoice doesn't get paid until 1.25.2016.

A lot depends on how the transaction got accounted for.

Maybe $3,000 expense and $3,000 payment got recognized in 2015.
Maybe $3,000 expense got recognized in 2015 and $3000 payment got recognized in 2016. That will create a discrepancy.

There's always going to be a cut-off date. And there's always the possibility that one or more transactions get split so that part winds up in one year and the other part winds up in another year.

And just like the 2015/2016 year end, you have to consider what transactions straddled the 2014/2015 year end - because those could also affect the cash analysis you are trying to do.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
GenoS
(Florida)

02/18/2016 11:04 AM  
In Florida every HOA must, by law, annually provide homeowners with a set of financial statements prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. These can be compiled, reviewed or audited statements depending on the association's total revenues. I imagine that's true in other states as well.

A spreadsheet by itself wouldn't meet the legal requirements for an HOA annual financial report in Florida. Does Ohio state law require any minimum level of reporting to the owners?
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/18/2016 8:13 PM  
Judith,

Without seeing the actual spreadsheet, it's difficult to say.
If you're willing to share, I'm willing to take a look at it. My e-mail is [email protected]

In general, the obvious question I would have is (and was expressed by others) the total credits actual physical deposits or only what was expected to be received if everyone paid their assessment in full and on time?

If they were actual deposits, there may be an issue.
If they were what was expected, vs. what is actual, this can explain it.

The second question I would have would be if the expenses listed include placing money into the reserves? If it does, what you provided here doesn't help others answer your question, as you need to look at the two accounts separately.

However, the biggest concern I would have is that actual expenses exceed income. Hence the question: did the expected income equal expected expenses when the budget was proposed and how is the Association making up for the difference (some $4,280)?

Again, if your willing to share, e-mail me the info and I will take a look and give you my opinion.

In lieu of that (or even if you do share), you may want to approach the Treasurer with the question "I'm having a little trouble understanding your report. Can we get together sometime over coffee so you can help me understand it?" Don't ask where the money went. Ask what the numbers mean.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Yearly Financial Reports

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement