Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, October 18, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Portable Basketball Hoops
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
WardellD
(Washington)

02/18/2006 9:56 AM  
Does anyone have a policy on using portable basketball hoops in their develoment? We would like to come up with a policy to allow basketball hoops to remail close to the homes when not actively using the basketball hoop and not in the road as it my poses a potential hazard or if they are not planning on using it during the winter it it should be relocated and store in the back yard.

hoatalk
(California)

02/18/2006 11:45 AM  
Our rules summary says:
Basketball Goals
• For the safety of all residents, no basketball goals are allowed at street-side or in cul-de-sacs

HOATalk.com, A free service of Community123.com
Provider of Upscale Community Websites
CLICK HERE to get a FREE trial community website
*See legal notice below (end of page) or go to www.hoatalk.com/legal
cksiiEditor
(Colorado)

02/18/2006 12:45 PM  
Placing these hoops or anything else on the sidewalk is a violation of our county ordinances, which prohibit blocking a public right-of-way. Typically, a friendly reminder is first sent. However, if not corrected quickly, the county is contacted. As a result, we do not have any requirement within our covenants to address this.
RogerB
(Colorado)

02/18/2006 1:35 PM  
We use this rule & reg.: Portable basketball stands shall be located in a manner which keeps players and balls away from the sidewalks and streets.
LisaS
(Illinois)

02/19/2006 3:01 PM  
Per our county an state law nothing can obstruct the public sidewalk or roadway. We allow the basketball hoops in the driveways, or on the apron but nowhere else.If we find them to be an obstruction we send a 'friendly reminder'. If they do not comply we contact the town (who issues a $75 fine).
HankL

02/20/2006 2:59 PM  
As "portable equipment" the hoops can be made to be stored in a garage when not in use. However, permanent hoops are basically the same thing visually. Our neighborhood's hoops must be half way up the driveway,permanent or portable, and kept in good condition. You'd be amazed how many owners just refuse to do that. Some Associations simply don't allow hoops of eny kind. Also, the "playschool" toy hoops should be addressed seperately. Safewty considerations do in fact come into play, and the Board may have some leverage throught that provision.
KatherineP
(West Virginia)

08/12/2010 3:11 PM  
I'm happy to have found someone discussing this. I have the neighbor from hell (preferred weapon of choice is a Jeep Cherokee Laredo SUV...) who installed a basketball hoop on a paved area (shoulder of the road) on the border between our houses. It is loud and just very annoying. Our HOA president had added rules 1 year ago (when he took over the HOA) to the HOA rules (not the CC&R) that "basketball hoops are allowed but must be brought in when not in use". Recently he held a election (by email... which I think is a crock) to make it "legal" to keep them in the street all year around. Basically this has resulted in our streets being used as a playground - and many more to be erected soon I'm sure. It makes it difficult to back out of my driveway and to navigate some of the streets (for example cars parked on the street on one side - kids playing in the street on the other). So now basketball hoops are allowed on the shoulder/street area of properties - so our HOA president says. Is there any language in my CC&R or county zoning laws I should look at that might help me fight this.

Note - while the basketball hoop is on the shoulder (which is my neighbors property - but with egress rights), the hoop itself hangs over the community street.

Also - I'm going to repost this in a separate thread.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

08/15/2010 3:39 PM  
This sounds like a legal issue with the local police or roads department.
SusanE5
(New York)

08/27/2011 12:27 PM  
Our HOA allows hoops, but only if placed behind the front corner of the front of the home. The precludes placement in most driveways.

A large section of our community is composed of single-family homes with front driveways. Most of these homes have 3-4 bedrooms and families with young children. As a nod to some families' wish to have basketball hoops, the HOA established a policy on hoops that essentially waived the placement requirement, but only for a certain timeframe (Easter to Halloween, as I recall). Not a single family applied for the waiver but instead defied the HOA's covenants.

As a result of several homeowners' objections to the waiver policy, it was rescinded. Attempts at enforcing the covenant item on basketball hoops have been only partially successful: 2 families continue to defy the rule.

Do other HOAs pay for some kind of service to have b-ball hoops removed? But where would they be taken? My first thought was to donate them.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/27/2011 5:38 PM  
This question brings back nightmares for me...We didn't have a policy against portable basketball goals. A neighbor had one at their house at the end of their driveway. The road curved around at that point. It wasn't in a bad spot and many kid's came to play there. We had a permanent basketball goal in our "Common area" near the pool but it was over grass and the area was full of dog poo. (That's another story about the poo issue...) The owner of the portable goal had no issue with anyone coming to play anytime. I played a few times myself...

Then the nightmare began...It turns out the boy who the basketball goal was for joined a team that was the RIVAL of the kid across the street...They used to play together for years. Now the parent of that child wants to install their OWN goal for their kid to practice on...Which would have been in an unsafe area and putting the kids in danger. I had to tell them "No". Well...Guess what? If THAT owner has one then everyone should be allowed argument began...This reached the board level. The board decided "No one can have one and they can play on the permanent goal in the common area". I physically had to remove that basketball goal(Which the owner donated to the HOA)to the common area. It had concrete in the bottom! I put it across from the permanent goal to make a mini-basketball court.

Realize if you make a rule of allowing portable/permanent goals for individual owners, the area may not be safe for everyone to have one. Make sure you can levy a fine if they leave it out. If you have a big enough common area consider putting a permanent goal in there. Check with insurance first...Understand, these things can cause trouble. Especially if there are competitors in the same area...I wouldn't allow them except in a safe common area accessible to all...

Former HOA President
GlenL
(Ohio)

08/27/2011 10:42 PM  
Posted By WardellD on 02/18/2006 9:56 AM
Does anyone have a policy on using portable basketball hoops in their develoment? We would like to come up with a policy to allow basketball hoops to remail close to the homes when not actively using the basketball hoop and not in the road as it my poses a potential hazard or if they are not planning on using it during the winter it it should be relocated and store in the back yard.

Wardell, this is from an HOA in WA:

Basketball Hoop Restrictions:

Permanent basketball hoops and courts may be located and used only in owners' back or side yards, subject to ACC approval, and should not be visible from the street or create an unsightly nuisance for neighbors. Portable basketball hoops may be used in front yards only on owners' driveways, subject to restrictions described below. The presence of a sloping driveway does not waive or limit this restriction. To prevent unsightly conditions, portable basketball hoops should be stored out of sight from the street when not currently in use. If moving the hoop for storage between uses is impractical, then it may be left in place, but only as described below. Hoops must not be used on or block common areas, sidewalks, or streets. The county will not clean or maintain streets if they are blocked. Problems with street blockage should be reported to Snohomish County Public Works Department at 425-388-6408.

* Portable basketball hoops may be placed in an owner's front yard, but only in an inconspicuous location on the owner's own lot, adjacent to and facing the driveway, and at least six feet back from County sidewalks.

* Visible hoops must be mechanically sound, clean, and well maintained. Owners may not permit visible hoops to become an unsafe or unsightly nuisance, and the Board in its sole judgment may require the removal of such hoops.

* Hoops, players, or balls must not be permitted to damage surrounding landscape, structures, vehicles, or signage in common areas or other owners' property.

* For safety reasons, hoops may not be positioned to encourage playing on a sidewalk, on neighbors' property, or in a street.

* Hoops are permitted in common areas only with prior written permission from the Association. Unauthorized hoops are subject to removal and disposal by the Association, with costs charged to owners.

* Non-portable hoops, like any other exterior change, are subject to advance written approval of the Architectural Control Committee. Hoops erected without prior approval might not be approved by the ACC; homeowners could be required to remove unapproved hoops, and may be subject to fines.

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
TimB4
(Virginia)

08/28/2011 1:27 AM  
Since Wardell started this thread over 5 years ago, I think they have come to some sort of resolution on the issue.
GlenL
(Ohio)

08/28/2011 6:18 AM  
Good catch Tim. Who knows it might have been the policy that Wardell came up with that I posted.

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
MartyS2
(Georgia)

10/31/2014 8:49 AM  
We permit portable basketball goals as long as they are moved into the garage when not in use. This is a balance between the enjoyment of the community and the appearance issue.
JamesO6

10/31/2014 9:52 PM  
Posted By WardellD on 02/18/2006 9:56 AM

Promoting healthier kids on our community's maybe building basketball courts and tennis courts should be included in all new developments of HOA community's on the common area's??? are re-deed on a new deed restrictions to reflect that no Lot owner shall have any form of basketball poles, hoops of any kinds all HOA members will utilize the courts provided on community property's.

Our community we have them on both sides of the streets, the kids just places them sideways on the land between the sidewalks and the curb when done getting healthy exercises and are always watching for cars and are respectful. fact imam buying one this week to place on the curb side next spring for my grand kids enjoyment and exercise. and get that HOA to street sweep my area also for the safety of our community children's on bikes.
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/01/2014 5:14 AM  
Everyone is aware that this thread is over 8 years old?
JamesO6

11/01/2014 7:21 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 11/01/2014 5:14 AM
Everyone is aware that this thread is over 8 years old?

Oh Ghad'ss we've be duped again.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Portable Basketball Hoops

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement