Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, November 30, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Letter to Homeowners
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
FrancesD

02/07/2006 8:17 AM  
We have several Teenagers that climb up ont the porch roof of there house.They also climb out of the second story window to sit on the roof for hours. I need some examples of a letter to write to these homeowners warning about the danger,consiquenses, and that the H.O.A. board will not be held accountable to pay for these teens if they should become injured due to roof colapse or falling off.
RogerB
(Colorado)

02/07/2006 10:00 AM  
FrancesD, I would ask your Board to pass a Rule & Regulation which states no one is allowed to be on the roof except for inspection or repair purposes. The owner is responsible for any damages to the roof or an individual which occur as a result of a violation plus the owner may be fined (see Covenent and Rules enforcement policy).

Do not refer to any class of people (teens).
Stating one is not responsible won't carry much weight in court - a Rule which has been provide to all owners will.

Good luck,
RogerB
HaroldS
(Arizona)

02/08/2006 6:48 PM  
FrancesD states.. ...climbing out on the porch roof of there(sic)HOUSE (my emphasis), so can I assume these are not condos where the HOA is responsible for the roofs? What earthly concern can this be of an HOA? And this needs another "rule and regulation"??? I'm sorry, but this is wrong. Harold
KathyS
(California)

02/09/2006 8:18 AM  
I have to agree with Harold. Unless they are condos, it's none of the associations business nor a nosey neighbors business. If these teenagers are dumb enough to be sitting on the roof and fall off....so be it.

One less idiot in the gene pool.
FrancesD

02/09/2006 9:34 AM  
These are townhomes and the H.O.A. is responsible for roof replacement.I do not want to fine these individuals. I just want to cover the association against any possible lawsuit from theese idiots fall off the roof.As well as to make the homeowner responsible for repairing damage done to the roof by these idiots.
EdR
(Texas)

02/09/2006 10:06 AM  
Whatever route you take with this one, since these are townhomes, do it quickly--if one of these kids falls off and gets hurt, it's the associations' problems. If it were their personal roof on a house it might be different. If everyone is paying for these roofs to begin with, then everyone needs to be concerned. Although it is not an attractive nuisance, the kids are using it as one--my opinion is that they are trespassing and it borders on vandalism if it can ultimately hurt the roof (also involves everyones' monies) (even if it's right over their specific area) and the police should be called. I just hope these aren't kids of the directors of your board--if they are -- good luck!
EdR
RogerB
(Colorado)

02/09/2006 10:36 AM  
HaroldS and KathyS, I agree with you when the HOA is not responsible. But since they are, do you agree with the need for a rule which will allow enforcement and to protect the HOA in case of a law suit.

"What earthly concern can this be of an HOA? And this needs another "rule and regulation"??? I'm sorry, but this is wrong. Harold"

RogerB
HaroldS
(Arizona)

02/09/2006 12:18 PM  
Well of course if the roofs are HOA common area. His use of the word "house" just conjured up individual houses. Sorry.
And adding a rule begs my other question about owners being notified of that and other rules which are in addition to the CC&Rs. Do new owners get a list of rules as well as a copy of the CC&Rs? Do existing owners get an updated list of all the rules as a new one is added? In eight years here I have never seen such a list. If we have rules in addition to the CC&Rs I have no knowledge of them. The only thing I found in our CC&Rs about rules states: The board shall have the right to adopt rules and regulations setting forth procedures for the purpose of making assessments and for the billing and collection of the assessments provided that the procedures are not inconsistent with the provisions of this declaration. Harold
KathyS
(California)

02/09/2006 6:49 PM  
Agreed. If it's a condo.

RogerB
(Colorado)

02/09/2006 7:25 PM  
HaroldS asked "Do new owners get a list of rules as well as a copy of the CC&Rs? Do existing owners get an updated list of all the rules as a new one is added?"

They should and for those HOAs we manage the answer is absolutely. Furthermore, in Colorado a prospective buyer must be provided these and other association records; and if they are not satisfactory to the buyer they can back out of the sales contract.

I just e-mailed over 100 pages of required documents to a buyer's real estate agent. We do this easily and rapidly since we convert all paper documents to digital text. For those who are not aware, digital text eliminates the white spaces which are present in a digital image file. Thus resulting in a hugh reduction from megabytes to kilobytes to create a manageable size for e-mail and web pages.

RogerB
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Letter to Homeowners

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement