Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, November 30, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: PLAYBOOK for BEST PRACTICES
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AdrianC
(California)

02/05/2006 9:25 AM  

Hi All,

I am president for the moment, till March anyway, of a 136 unit HOA in California. We have recently changed Management Co as the old one did a terrible job. Under the old MC and before I was on the board our reserves ran down and were not replenished.

I wish to start a PLAYBOOK of BEST PRACTICES for our HOA.

This would list, have explanatory pages, for each particular function, operation, or common scenario together with suppliers, contacts, resources, applicable legislation or rules.

The idea is to give new board members a reference manual to help them learn what is expected of them and the supplier/HOA Member, and to serve as a tickler file for the annual claendar.

For Example:
Landscape - Pruning and cultivation sheets for shrubs & trees
Poinciana, Bird of Paradise, Fuschias, Cypress,Junipers
Lawn care, scarification, reseeding, mowing
Tree trimming
General Maintenance - Size and type of waterheater for each 4plex
Fire Extinguishers - monthly inspection & Annual Maint.
Electric Gates Lubrication, Common care,reset motors
Laundry Rooms- Supplier, copy contract,Expiration Date
money collections
Board Meetings - Sample minutes - what is needed
Draft minutes in 5 days
Contract requirements
Conflict of interest Disclosures
Annual Audit and bookkeeping
Insurances, HOA coverage - Homeowners liabilities
Liability Matrix-Attorney reviewed matrix/spreadsheet of who pays
for what water leak, broken wall etc.

This is just a beginning.

Has anybody seen anything like this for HOA,s?

Would anybody like to cooperate? Many things would be standard and others specific to your HOA.

Adrian
BeckyV
(Michigan)

02/05/2006 10:21 AM  
I just posted in the thread prior to yours and I will offer you the same info. If you go to www.communityassociations.net you will find a wealth of information relating to the topics you are interested in. I have found this to be an extremely helpful site. Be sure to look at everything it has to offer. You will find answers to your questions in places you might not expect them to be.
Becky
ValerieC
(North Carolina)

02/05/2006 2:59 PM  
I think that is a great idea. I would love to help. I am a current board president and member for the last 4 years. Increasing the number of people who are willing to take the responsibility of board membership is a goal of mine. I think this idea would further that.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > PLAYBOOK for BEST PRACTICES

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement