Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, November 29, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Builder vs Developer at transition
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MikeD2
(Florida)

02/04/2006 5:08 AM  
hi everyone

I am new to this forum and I am getting a wealth of information reading this forum.

We are a new community in Florida getting ready to transition from the developer to the homeowners.

The engineers report cited a number of issues. The builder and develop are attempting to sort out which items are theres to repair.

My question is can we take over the HOA from the developer prior to the items in the engineers report are fixed. There appears to be no major issues in the report

Thanks in advance to any feedback
JaniceP
(Florida)

02/04/2006 8:55 AM  
Your articles of incorporation and/ or bylaws will state at which point you can assume HOA responsibilities. I am curious- what is an engineer's report? I am unfamiliar with it. Good luck!
RogerB
(Colorado)

02/04/2006 10:40 AM  
MikeD2, I would assume you can. But I wouldn't before there is an agreement in writing as to who will repairs what items within what timeframe and who will pay for those repairs. Make sure to have an audit and get a managing agent and/or an attorney to help with the transition.

RogerB
JimR
(Colorado)

02/04/2006 11:18 AM  
You can take over from the developer when he meets the %sales requirement that is in you CC&r's. But Roger gave good advice to not do so until it is in writing as to whom is going to take care of which repairs or replacements of shoddy workmanship. The City should do the final inspection and release the subdivision at some point. Unfortantley some Cities do not do a very good job. I prepared the final inspection list for the developer and the City ended up using that list along with their's to make sure that everthing was done. Unfortunatly for us the City signed off before each and every item on the list was rechecked for the second time, and we still have spots of curb and gutter and etc. that were marked for replacemen, but never done. I will get the City to take care of that obligation now. They signed off, they are now responsible.

The in writing aspect is your only protection and assurance that some day everything may get corrected. The problem is that most new associations have no money to work with at the beginning because thier dues are artifically low because the developer is carrying part of the costs to make sales more attractive in his community. After the Association takes over reality hits home and your funds are very restricted and an attorney to get final repairs accomplished is out of the question and so you end up living with the problems until your association can afford to repair it themselves or force the City to take the responsiblity.

Play hard ball with the developer and your City!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Builder vs Developer at transition

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement