Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, July 19, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: White Window Solutions
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
KM1
(FL)

07/18/2010 11:14 AM  
Hi all! I've read a few posts on the white/light vinyl window dilemma, and challenges with meeting existing ACC standards. Our neighborhood has the same issue in that the trim and previous windows of days yore are dark brown/bronze aluminum. Very few here have been changed out, and no action has been taken in the past few years for white/tan colored vinyl windows. They look terrible, and while I understand the efficiency and value of the windows, they tend to cheapen the aesthetic qualities of the homes. I've researched enough to see that existing vinyl paints are not recommended to be used (per brand websites themselves) in dark colors, as they will absorb heat and potentially warp the vinyl. Understandable, especially in Florida!

There are quality windows from brand name companies, but the cost seems more high-end rather than "standard." My interpretation of creating a standard, is that it should be of average cost. When researching the various shapes of windows, colors, buying sources, etc. it's been taxing and I can understand how the previous boards did not take action. Can someone share specifically what their solution has been or what has worked?

Someone here in the neighborhood created a new dark brown frame with strips of wood to camoflauge the white vinyl. It's definitely less offensive than the white, and doesn't require one to buy expensive windows. Doesn't work for those with unique arches, but may work for traditional four-sideds. Does this sound like a reasonable compromise? I'm at my wits end thinking outside of the box and researching this issue.

Thank you!

JohnB26

07/18/2010 11:53 AM  
purchase windows with exterior color which meets your requirements ... maybe more money per window ($30) but definately doable ... however, they would need to be ordered .. as per:

http://www.askthebuilder.com/196_Colorful_Replacement_Windows_-_Vinyl_Aluminum.shtml

"Certain vinyl window companies decided to blend two maintenance free materials together. You can purchase a vinyl window that has an aluminum exterior and a vinyl interior. The aluminum exterior is available in a variety of light and dark colors. Custom colors are also available. Painted aluminum finishes can last 15 years or more with minimal color fade. The aluminum frames are an excellent choice if you live in a high wind area or desire a window that resists forced entry."
KM1
(FL)

07/18/2010 12:36 PM  
Sounds good, but I can't find a source online! (Someone responded in 2008 to the site sent asking for a source due to difficulty finding one.) I've spoken at length to local building suppliers and the big-name hardware stores and have not been advised of these types of windows. Do you have personal experience in buying this type or know of a specific name?

Thanks
JohnB26

07/18/2010 1:19 PM  
try:

Window World for the least expensive type.

ps. the 'big box' stores only sell second rate junk

WINDOWS ARE EXPENSIVE ... if you and I find inexpensive ones, they are second rate

http://www.windowworld.com/products/replacementwindows/

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/color-replacement-windows.html

http://www.regencywindow.com/windowscolors.asp

http://customordervinylwindows.com/listproducts/61/Simonton_Reflections_5300_Series_Replacement_Double_Hung_Vinyl_Windows.html

http://www.findreplacementwindows.com/specialty/Specialty-Colors-VA.html

>>> http://www.weatherkingdoors.com/vinyl-color.html <<<

etc, etc, etc
KM1
(FL)

07/18/2010 11:30 PM  
I appreciate the research, but:

Regency - serves vinyl in Ohio only
Simonton - White and Tan vinyl options only for Florida
Weather King - vinyl to Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Chicago, Kentucky only
Andersen - no dark brown available in standard windows http://www.andersenwindows.com/servlet/Satellite/double-hung-windows-for-your-home.htm

Window World - I can check this out, but have heard they don't have a good reputation in this area.

I guess no great solutions have been found for Florida HOAs. Not sure if we are any more unique in region due to building code standards for 140 mph winds, heat, humidity, etc.
JohnB26

07/19/2010 4:40 AM  
last solution:

aluminum frames painted to desired color
EllieD
(Vermont)

07/19/2010 6:26 AM  
Do you have to use vinyl? Have you considered an all fiberglass window – costs a bit more but may be what you are looking for. This one is made by MARVIN Windows and Doors, but there may be others.

http://www.integritywindows.com/?page=All_Ultrex
KM1
(FL)

07/19/2010 8:47 AM  
Thanks - looks like I will continue to pull my hair out on this one. We're trying to set a new window standard for 80+ townhomes, as after 30 years people are slowly changing out windows and claim the white vinyl is most readily available, rated most energy efficient (to aluminum, which doesn't qualify for energy tax credit here), and is of standard cost. I've called around and researched online, and their claims appear to be accurate.

If aluminum doesn't qualify for tax credit in energy efficiency, I don't feel good about telling a homeowner to buy that kind of window in Florida heat just to meet color standards. Am I thinking incorrectly here?

Personally, i'd rather look at the pricier options, BUT I thought with architectural standards we should have windows that are of "standard" price. I don't know how that would be defined.

Thought about changing the trim colors, but it's too hard with townhomes. This is why I was wondering what other neighborhoods may have done - especially FL - because i'm starting to feel like we're the only area with this problem! :-)
GlenL
(Ohio)

07/19/2010 12:55 PM  
KM, I would start by visiting window dealers in your area, not the big box stores and explain your problem and let them find the solution. Here is a link for a window outfit out of Indiana but they have hurricane products: http://www.gorell.com/pages/frame_finish_colors.htm

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
KM1
(FL)

07/19/2010 9:27 PM  
Thank you to all for suggestions and sources.

After my post, someone advised me that if we were to change a standard, it would have to be voted on by the members. I have not located any official documents that state what the standards are in the office -- the member stated that it's obvious what the colors are so there is no need for this.

The governing documents do not state anything about voting on standards, but I do agree this is a business and homeowners are a stakeholder and the BOD should make decisions in the interest of the homeowners.

Is a special meeting how it's normally done?

Recently at a BOD meeting we "set" a standard for light fixtures. Was difficult because this was not done before but the decision was made based on the majority of existing fixture style, color, and what is readily available to buy. I hope I didn't do something wrong!

Please advise, or if I should start a new topic thread, I will be happy to do so.

JohnB26

07/20/2010 6:26 AM  
what is 'readily available to buy' at the 'big box stores' is junk

the real fixtures are a 'special order' (translation: not normally stocked)

food for thought: why would 10 year old fixtures/windows need replacing at all?
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

07/20/2010 8:50 AM  
I've ordered Harvey vinyl windows for years. They come in a large variety of exterior color and 3 colors for the inside.

http://www.harveybp.com/product.aspx?pid=15&shape=2

They are 10x the quality of the home depot windows at a slight price increase. Were not talking Pella window prices, much, much less. I've ordered many custom size Harvey windows where a stock window wouldn't work. They fit perfect. Turn around time was about 3 weeks. Never any problems with these windows, I love vinyl. No maintenance besides Windex.

If your not local to Harvey shipping zones, I'm sure you can find a similar window company that offers the same idea.
KM1
(FL)

07/20/2010 7:14 PM  
Great sources, I will research all!
FredS7
(Arizona)

06/22/2018 8:40 AM  
Posted By KM1 on 07/18/2010 11:14 AM

There are quality windows from brand name companies, but the cost seems more high-end rather than "standard." My interpretation of creating a standard, is that it should be of average cost.

I don't understand this.

The reason for specifying a particular type of window is to have uniformity across the association. Saving money is not the objective. If it costs more to get matching windows, so be it.

Now if you can't buy matching windows, then you have a problem.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > White Window Solutions

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement