Get 6 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, July 24, 2014
HOA Websites by Community123.com (National Community Website Provider)
We built HOATalk and we'll build your community website for free!  Click here for information on a free trial website.
Community Associations Network (National HOA Reference Library)
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Resigning from HOA president
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SharonK
(Maryland)

10/24/2006 7:02 AM  
Any reccomendation on how to resign from president? Iam so fed up with having to do everything and no one helping out. I recently have beed working 7 days a week and do not have the time to take care of the issues at hand.
RogerB
(Colorado)

10/24/2006 7:11 AM  
Sharon, at the next Board meeting submit your resignation as President if you want to resign that position. Advise the other Board members on why you are resigning and the status of your desires to serve on the Board. You do not have to resign from the Board to resign as President.
SharonK
(Maryland)

10/24/2006 7:15 AM  
Would it be okay to send out a letter(a very NICE professional one) to all homeowners stating my resignation? I cannot have any more meetings at my house until next year and I want out of the position as president ASAP. Unfortunately we never elected a VP.
WilliamT
(Arizona)

10/24/2006 7:26 AM  
If you would like to stay on as president provided you get the support you need, then an option is to advise the board that you can no longer do all of the work, and must have help. You would submit your resignation letter, resigning from the president office, but remaining as a board member, that is effective 30 days from that date. This gives you the option of cancelling the resignation if people begin to help out.

You could go into the meeting with a plan, which would delegate specific duties for several individual members, with a timeline for the completion of the duties. Ask for volunteers to perform those duties, both from board members and home owners who are willing to be on committees.

If you don't have committees, then that is the first thing to do. Have several committees set up, such as maintenance, compliance, finance, etc with specific duties spelled out in a charter.

During the 30 days, only work on the organization of the committees. Do not do the work yourself because you have told them that you cannot continue doing all the work. If at the end of 30 days no one has done anything, then the board will have to accept your resignation as president. You will still be on the board, and you or someone else can nominate another person as president.

The presidents job is to guide, delegate, and make sure that the work is done. It is not to do all the work. Learn to organize and delegate.
WilliamT
(Arizona)

10/24/2006 7:27 AM  
Your resignation letter should go to all the board members. It does not need to be sent to the homeowners.
RogerB
(Colorado)

10/24/2006 7:42 AM  
Sharon, I would not send a letter to all owners. Another option is to hire a managing Agent. That is what HOAs do when the few good members who volunteer burnout from being overworked. Just that suggestion may cause others to step forward and help.

I second William's suggestions.
JulieS
(Georgia)

10/24/2006 8:21 AM  
I am the president of our HOA and we have a management company...and quite often I feel like I am doing everything! We have four other board members and many of them do not attend the board meetings or even read email. Thankfully, we do have a management company to handle most everything. I do get burned out but the thing that keeps me motivated is knowing that some other crazy people are not handling things (and we do have them and they do think they can do things better).

I would seriously look into hiring a management company. Also, if you wish to resign as president but stay on the board, I would not notify the community, only the board members. If you do resign your position but stay on the board, I do not think it will change anything. You will still be the person who does everything because others will not step-up and you are a person who gets things done.
JoyceS1
(Indiana)

10/24/2006 8:54 AM  
SharonK

I'm experiencing the same scenerio you described. I just spent 3 days solid, working on HOA business.....the board will just show up and vote up or down what I present and go home believing they have fuffilled their responsibilities. Nice, huh.

In my situation, as much as I'd like to just give up, I know what I give up will be more than my position on the board.

If it doesn't matter what happens, then I guess the decision is clear.

Good luck with your decision. I truly sympathize with what you are experiencing.

Joyce
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Resigning from HOA president

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement