Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, September 20, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Revoking Proxies
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JimL6
(Florida)

04/02/2010 11:55 AM  
Hello,

My Association Bylaws state that a proxy can be revoked either in writing delivered to the secretary or by attendance in person at the meeting. That's all it says.

Is there anyone with experience in revoking a proxy form? Can revoking it in writing be done by a personal letter, or is a proxy revocation form required? Other than the Member's name and Member number and the statement that the preceding proxy form is to be revoked and the signature, is there something else that is required in order for the proxy revocation to be valid?

Jim
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

04/02/2010 12:01 PM  

Jim,

Here is what the Statutes says on proxies. 720, 306 (8)

"(8) PROXY VOTING.--The members have the right, unless otherwise provided in this subsection or in the governing documents, to vote in person or by proxy. To be valid, a proxy must be dated, must state the date, time, and place of the meeting for which it was given, and must be signed by the authorized person who executed the proxy. A proxy is effective only for the specific meeting for which it was originally given, as the meeting may lawfully be adjourned and reconvened from time to time, and automatically expires 90 days after the date of the meeting for which it was originally given. A proxy is revocable at any time at the pleasure of the person who executes it. If the proxy form expressly so provides, any proxy holder may appoint, in writing, a substitute to act in his or her place.

So unless your governing documents (Bylaws) state a procedure for revoking the proxy, I would guess that a letter of notification should be sent to the Board. Don't forget, all proxies in Florida are good for only 90 days so keep that in mind.
GlenL
(Ohio)

04/02/2010 12:02 PM  
Jim, we've never had one revoked in writing and there is no form that I know of but you have the content down. I gave Joe Blow my proxy on 03-25-10, it is my desire to revoke that proxy at this time on 04-02-10. Signed GlenL address etc.

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
JimL6
(Florida)

04/03/2010 6:27 AM  
Posted By GlenL on 04/02/2010 12:02 PM
Jim, we've never had one revoked in writing and there is no form that I know of but you have the content down. I gave Joe Blow my proxy on 03-25-10, it is my desire to revoke that proxy at this time on 04-02-10. Signed GlenL address etc.

Thanks, GlenL.

Is it absolutely necessary to state the exact date that was written on the proxy form being revoked, or is it enough to simply refer to ANY previously sent proxy form with that Member's name and Association number and Association address on it? Do you have an experience that tells you that correctly stating the date on the previous proxy form is important?

Jim
JimL6
(Florida)

04/03/2010 6:35 AM  
Posted By JimL6 on 04/03/2010 6:27 AM
Posted By GlenL on 04/02/2010 12:02 PM

Thanks, GlenL.

Is it absolutely necessary to state the exact date that was written on the proxy form being revoked, or is it enough to simply refer to ANY previously sent proxy form with that Member's name and Association number and Association address on it? Do you have an experience that tells you that correctly stating the date on the previous proxy form is important?

Jim

Oops! You said that you've had no previous experience with a written revocation. I wasn't paying attention. So never mind. I'm going to assume that the exact date that was written on the proxy form that is being revoked is not important. Whereas it's hard to forget the name and Association number and Association address, it's easy to forget the date. Logic tells me that it doesn't matter. Identifying it simply as that proxy that was sent prior to this revocaton being sent logically has to be good enough. If there's something that I'm missing, please let me know.

Jim
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement