Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, September 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Swimming Pool Dress Code?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AnnaD2
(Florida)

01/30/2010 4:42 AM  
Do any of you have a "dress code" for your pool areas? Do any of your rules specify what type of swim wear is allowed or not allowed?

The only rules that we have concerning clothing are that diapered babies must wear waterproof pants (nothing about diapered adults) and that shoes and coverups must be worn when walking to and from the pool.

We have some people complaining about young girls wearing t-backs and old men wearing speedos. We don't want to be the fashion police yet I'm curious if any of you have specific rules at YOUR community?

Thanks all!
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

01/30/2010 6:52 AM  

Anna,
There should be a law on any guy older than 29, may not wear a Speedo. Better yet, unless you are a distance swimmer--no Speedos allowed.

I think that trying to make any restrictions on what one can wear at the pool is just asking for big trouble. "Appropriate" is as far as you can state but even that is a horrid event waiting to happen.

On a cruise one day, a European woman, probably age 50, appeared on deck in a total see thru swimsuit. Acceptable in Europe but not in the U.S. The best that the deck staff could do was to find her seating in a less conspicuous place. Your HOA?? not going to be enforceable.
RobertR1
(South Carolina)

01/30/2010 11:26 AM  
To all,

May I suggest the creation of the Creation of the First and only "eyeball" Panel to insure High Moral principals and Tasteful attire be assured within the Hallowed confines of the Swimming pool, to include all egress and ingress routes leading to said pool areas and include the autthority of this panel will carry enforcement powers to decide, if too much skin is showing,what should be covered up, if not enough skin is showing, then, determine what should be uncovered. If a panel decides that not matter what is done, nothing will help, the BOD are ordered to hereby kidnap the offended and execute them within five business days. If it is determined at any time the mere presence of a guest at the pool is cause for all the animals to leave the compound en mass, this individual will be bronzed and placed at the main entrance to the community.
DennisT
(Ohio)

01/30/2010 2:17 PM  
Donna's right. Quite honestly it's a tough thing to regulate since it's very subjective. Basically what you want is a "I'll know it when I see it" standard which is just asking for trouble. Short of something being to the point where the person could be arrested for indecent exposure it probably just won't work. As much as some people don't like seeing old men in speedos and girls in thongs I think it would really be pushing it to say that it's creating a nuisance to the point that the association can or should get involved.

Beyond that you're pretty much limited to rules for safety and health/welfare. Footwear would clearly be a safety rule and be permitted. Likewise water diapers are a sanitary rule and would past muster.

Just be thankful the old men are only wearing their speedos to the pool and not while using other parts of the property like taking their trash to the dumpster or hanging around homes that are for sale!
MicheleD
(Kentucky)

01/30/2010 2:44 PM  
One year I attended an upper management team "meeting" (retreat) in Bermuda. This industry is a male-dominated industry (alcohol beverage industry), so there were very few of us women there.

One afternoon at the beach I was sitting on one of those low beach chairs (I think I was putting on suntan lotion or something), and our CFO walked up to talk to me. He was standing, I was sitting. My head - - my eyes - - were crotch level. He was wearing a banana sling (Speedo). He was in his mid-50s I would guess, covered in hair/fuzz over his entire body, and looked about 7 months pregnant.

In a speedo.

Plus, I discovered he was Jewish. Wanna know how I knew?????????

Oy. I wanted to rub sand in my eyes.

I will never ever forget that moment. To this day, I cannot see him in a suit and tie and not have a visual flashback to him standing there in front of me on the beach.

RobertR1
(South Carolina)

01/30/2010 2:55 PM  
Michael,
Just a suggestion, as you know I worry about such things.

Maybe if you took his picture off the wall....................your memory would dim.
AnnaD2
(Florida)

01/30/2010 3:47 PM  
You guys CRACK ME UP!!!

Keep the comments coming!
AnnaD2
(Florida)

01/30/2010 3:48 PM  
By the way Robert---Michael's name is really Michele...I thought you've known her for years! LOL
AnnaD2
(Florida)

01/30/2010 3:52 PM  
Dennis---one of the problems we DO have is the guys ARE taking their trash to the dumpster with their Speedo's on and walking around the property that way.

Violating the "shoes and coverups required when walking to and from the pool" rule is another issue we're dealing with.

I DO appreciate your comments!
RobertR1
(South Carolina)

01/30/2010 4:06 PM  
anna,
Micheal name is not really Michele either. She and I used to go to different schools together when we were kids. She is a Bounty Hunter, bet you didn't know that. Has a big old dog named, "Kill". No, her husband is named "Kill", her dog is named "Poochie".
AnnaD2
(Florida)

01/30/2010 4:17 PM  
Donna-- you said:

"There should be a law on any guy older than 29, may not wear a Speedo. Better yet, unless you are a distance swimmer--no Speedos allowed."

I agree with you 100%!! But as you know...those our just our opinions.

I'm glad you brought up the European thing. The ONE unit offending eveyone is the ONE European owner in the complex. I get really, REALLY tired of hearing that the Americans are so "uptight" and "prudish" about their bodies.

I THOUGHT that American culture was based on morality, decency, dignity, and respect of their neighbors....I could be wrong.

I'm curious as to WHY we who live here full-time are supposed to conform to the European standards.

What ever happened to the adage: "When in Spain...."

It seems that every single European in this country expects US to change OUR ways to accomodate them!!!

I'll get off my soapbox now......before I start on the "other" people who have had free access to our country.
GlenL
(Ohio)

01/31/2010 4:10 AM  
Our only rule on attire is: Swimsuits are required. No swimming in cutoffs or street clothes will be allowed.

Anna as to your rant; I’ve found over the years that those who yell the loudest about understanding their position are the least likely to be willing to understand someone else's position.

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

01/31/2010 6:34 AM  

Anna,

I agree with adapting to local culture--"when in Spain" but the way that our world has become so intermingled, there is no local culture anymore. I guess we just have to look the other way, like it or not. Just because I prefer being more covered up, doesn't mean that someone else does.

Driving along the beach near Cannes France, we never saw 1 female with a swimming top on. I was embarrassed and my Husband was in his glory.
RobertR1
(South Carolina)

01/31/2010 6:55 AM  
Donna,
I knew this thread had a "tin" sound to it.
I checked it out.

It is not, "When in Spain."

It is, "When in Rome."
RobertR1
(South Carolina)

01/31/2010 7:00 AM  
Just included to keep the internet police off my case: Full credit is referenced:

Origins of Sayings - When in Rome, Do As the Romans Do
About the history and origins behind the famous saying when in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Stories behind Famous Sayings

The Saying: WHEN IN ROME, DO AS THE ROMANS DO.

Who Said It: St. Ambrose

When: 387 A.D.

The Story behind It: When St. Augustine arrived in Milan, he observed that the Church did not fast on Saturday as did the Church at Rome. He consulted St. Ambrose, bishop of Milan, who replied: "When I am at Rome, I fast on a Saturday; when I am at Milan, I do not. Follow the custom of the Church where you are." The comment was changed to "When they are at Rome, they do there as they see done" by Robert Burton in his Anatomy of Melancholy. Eventually it became "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

© 1975 - 1981 by David Wallechinsky & Irving Wallace
Reproduced with permission from "The People's Almanac" series of books.

NoelleC2
(California)

02/02/2010 8:51 AM  
The only thing we could list as appropriate was swim wear. We had adults in the pool wearing short and tank tops a few summers ago... so now it's swimsuits only or no pool going. We really did have a big issue with people wearing regular clothing in the pool!
AnnaD2
(Florida)

02/02/2010 9:41 AM  
Noelle, I forgot to add that we, too, have a rule stating that only regular bathing attire is allowed in the pool; no shorts, shirts or street clothing allowed.
DJ1
(Ontario)

02/02/2010 10:10 AM  
"Donna-- you said:

"There should be a law on any guy older than 29, may not wear a Speedo. Better yet, unless you are a distance swimmer--no Speedos allowed." "

Donna, and AnnaD2, ...isn't no speedo worse than having a speedo?
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

02/02/2010 10:38 AM  

DJ,

Okay, now I have to go and scratch my eyes out with that image planted.

Reminds me of a rental story. I had new tenants in a condo. Got a call from the police at 11p.m. Seems the 15 year old daughter of my new tenant was having a topless hanky panky in the HOA spa with her boyfirend. You just have to know that there are condo comandos armed with binnoculars waiting for this moment. Trust me when I tell you that it never happened again. The tenant was asked to leave because this kid had already proven that she would be more than the HOA could legally handle so I did the right thing. Gave them 2 options. Guarantee good behavior or leave. I had the rental ad up the next day.

I am sure this is close to what Anna is telling us about.
RobertR1
(South Carolina)

02/02/2010 12:54 PM  
Donna,

We are talking Speedo's, you know, those tiny little black pants that someone tries to pack a hundred pounds of butt, ( and God knows what else) into.

And you say it reminds you a renter? Then you are going to scratch your eyes out because of the implanted image? Then you take off after some teenage innocent young lass out making summer memories.

Aren't you ashamed. Next tell contact MichelleD and borrow her shoehorn, you can do anything with that.
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

02/02/2010 1:15 PM  

Robert,

Speedos are the male version of the females Butt Floss (g strings)

I was just telling swimming pool attire story or in my case, lack of attire. Annas problem was trying to set limitations on it but my story(tenant) gave a whole new meaning to clothing restrictions. And NO, I am not ashamed as I know that you are just yanking my cord.
AnnaD2
(Florida)

02/02/2010 1:26 PM  
Donna you said:

"You just have to know that there are condo comandos armed with binnoculars waiting for this moment."

For Christmas I got my boyfriend a pair of binoculars with a built in zoom camera!

Strictly for "bird watching", of course!
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

02/02/2010 1:43 PM  

Birds? You mean, chicks, hens, gobblers?
AnnaD2
(Florida)

02/02/2010 2:49 PM  
Peacocks; cockatiels; cockatoos; titmouse; whatever type of "bird" hangs around our complex.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Swimming Pool Dress Code?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement