Get 6 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, December 20, 2014
HOA Websites by Community123.com (National Community Website Provider)
We built HOATalk and we'll build your community website for free!  Click here for information on a free trial website.
Community Associations Network (National HOA Reference Library)
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Accounding: Fiscal Year vs. Calendar Year
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BW
(Colorado)

08/12/2008 9:29 AM  
My association's Fiscal Year is July 1-June 30th. We have just hired a manager who stated that we "should change to a calendar year". It seems to me that the change is more of a convenience to his bookkeeping then a reason for us to amend our Declaration. My question is:
what would be the advantage or the disadvantage to keeping our current July 1-June 30th year; or changing to a January 1-December 31st year?
JohnK3
(Pennsylvania)

08/12/2008 9:36 AM  
BW,

As S/T of our HOA, and with minimal accounting skills, I have to agree with calendar years. Much easier for Membership (and me) to understand.
SusanW1
(Michigan)

08/12/2008 9:38 AM  
Your fiscal year is stated in the Declaration? Is that common? I really don't know.

I'd say bookkeeping conveience is a REAL reason to change.

When is the Annual Meeting? When are the IRS forms due?

Those are also keep questions.

BW
(Colorado)

08/12/2008 9:52 AM  
My association's annual meeting is during the month of June. All forms are filed by September 14th. BW
ScottC
(Indiana)

08/12/2008 10:47 AM  
One good reason to change is if a calendar year fits a more natural business cyle for you. For example, we incur our greatest costs during the summer months. It would not make sense for our HOA in Indiana to end the fiscal year in the middle of the mowing/maintenance season. At the end of December, our costs in operating the HOA are minimal. Therefore, December is a logical end to the natural business cycle for us.
GeorgerwilliamsW
(Indiana)

08/12/2008 11:02 AM  
Posted By ScottC on 08/12/2008 10:47 AM
One good reason to change is if a calendar year fits a more natural business cyle for you. For example, we incur our greatest costs during the summer months. It would not make sense for our HOA in Indiana to end the fiscal year in the middle of the mowing/maintenance season. At the end of December, our costs in operating the HOA are minimal. Therefore, December is a logical end to the natural business cycle for us.

Scott's post makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't worry much about coordinating the annual meeting with the close of the fiscal year, although it is convenient to hold it as soon as practicable after the books are closed.
BW
(Colorado)

08/12/2008 3:31 PM  
In Colorado, the Annual Homeowners meeting is held before the end of the Fiscal year because the next year's budget & assessments must be voted on by the owners. The proposed budget is sent out to the owners, along with prior meeting minutes and agenda at least two weeks ahead of the Annual meeting. If we changed to the Calendar year, the Annual meeting would be in December?
KirkW1
(Texas)

08/12/2008 5:36 PM  
Wow, I would not have guessed that I would have much to offer on accounting, but here are several answers:

Tax paperwork is always filed in accordance with a fiscal year. And if you change then your tax filings have to change as well. This will mean an extra tax filing at the end of the calendar year.

If your annual meeting is tied to the fiscal year (as many are) then you will also change when the annual meeting occurs and need to budget for the extra meeting when you change.

If you get an annual audit you will also need to plan on an extra expense there as well.

On the other hand, any accounting software on the market will deal with a fiscal year quite well for you and it should be no big deal. It will quite readily handle and track your budget through the fiscal year.
MaryA1

08/12/2008 7:07 PM  
Posted By BW on 08/12/2008 9:29 AM
My association's Fiscal Year is July 1-June 30th. We have just hired a manager who stated that we "should change to a calendar year". It seems to me that the change is more of a convenience to his bookkeeping then a reason for us to amend our Declaration. My question is:
what would be the advantage or the disadvantage to keeping our current July 1-June 30th year; or changing to a January 1-December 31st year?

BW,

Some corps. are required to obtain permission from the IRS to change their tax year, others are not. This is not something that can just be done on a whim. I would suggest contacting your CPA to make a determination as to whether or not the HOA must obtain permission from the IRS. A Form 1128 must be filed to request a tax year change.

Are you saying the tax year is specified in your CCRs?

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Accounding: Fiscal Year vs. Calendar Year

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement