Get 6 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, September 20, 2014
HOA Websites by Community123.com (National Community Website Provider)
We built HOATalk and we'll build your community website for free!  Click here for information on a free trial website.
Community Associations Network (National HOA Reference Library)
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Board member 'at large'?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TaraR
(Arizona)

07/03/2006 6:03 AM  
In my association, there are 3 board members. It's my understanding just talking to friends, it should be a board of 5. So, when I asked the board president could we get 2 more people on the board, she said they could but they would be board members 'at large'. What does 'at large' mean?
SwanB
(Washington)

07/03/2006 6:47 AM  
We are a nine member Board with the following Directorships:
President, Secretary, Treasurer, Legal and Insurance Dir., Grounds and Maintenance, Violations Dir., Property Standards Dir., Social and Public Affairs Dir., and Director-at-Large.
Each of the above (other than the Director-at-Large) have specific duties and job descriptions. The Director-at-Large position is one that allows our Board to take on special projects or issues of a short range nature ie. launching a beautification campaign that the Grounds and Maintenance Dir. simply doesn't have the time to coordinate.
Other HOAs may use their 'at-large' positions in different ways. This is what works for us.
RogerB
(Colorado)

07/03/2006 7:28 AM  
Tara, a Board member who is a Director at Large holds no office. Many small associations (less than ~75), who have a property manager, have only three Board members. Larger associations and those without a property manager usually have a minimum of 5 to spread out the work.
WilliamT
(Arizona)

07/03/2006 10:38 AM  
Posted By SwanB on 07/03/2006 6:47 AM

We are a nine member Board with the following Directorships:
President, Secretary, Treasurer, Legal and Insurance Dir., Grounds and Maintenance, Violations Dir., Property Standards Dir., Social and Public Affairs Dir., and Director-at-Large. Each of us have specific duties and job descriptions.

SwanB,

Do you also have an MC, or are you a self managed HOA?

We have an MC, but there is much work that still needs to be done by directors. I've been thinking about how we could set up our board in a similar fashion to yours. I have some questions if you have some time to answer them.

1. Can each of the directorships enlist people in the community to work with them (as a committee), or must the board approve committee members to work with each directorship?

2. How many homes in your community?

3. With 9 directors, do you have any problem with quorums due to directors being absent from meetings?

4. How often are your board meetings?

We are a 148 member gated community with 3 entry gates (2 are required due to the physical location) and we only meet quarterly, which is not sufficient, in my opinion, to get the work done in a timely manner.

5. Is it possible for me to see a copy of your duties and job descriptions for each of these positions. Ours would end up being set up differently, if I can get this project off the ground, but the descriptions you have would be a starting place for us to get ideas that would fit our situation. If you can, my email is wtravis1@cox.net

Thanks,

Bill

JulieS
(Georgia)

07/03/2006 10:53 AM  
When our HOA was turned over to the homeowners, three board of directors were elected. Per our documents, the board could expand to five and did so shortly after letting the MC go. Our board of directors consists of the following titles: President, VP, Treasurer, Secretary and Director.
TaraR
(Arizona)

07/04/2006 3:22 PM  
I'm still confused, what does 'at large' mean? Does this member classification have limits or are they as involved as the other board members? Meaning, do they have the right to vote on issues as the other board members?
BradP
(Kansas)

07/04/2006 4:07 PM  
Tara:

Yes, they still have all the rights other Board members have, they simply don't hold an office or an official duty.
LuciusD

07/05/2006 5:00 AM  
Posted By TaraR on 07/03/2006 6:03 AM

In my association, there are 3 board members. It's my understanding just talking to friends, it should be a board of 5. So, when I asked the board president could we get 2 more people on the board, she said they could but they would be board members 'at large'. What does 'at large' mean?

Tara,
Some people use "at large" to refer to a Director (board member) who does not also occupy an office.
I suggest you read your Bylaws carefully. Bylaws I have studied distinguish the functions of directors from those of officers. (Directors direct and Officers execute.)
Some Bylaws specify a fixed number of directors. Some specifiy a range of numbers. Some allow an unlimited number.
Some Bylaws specify one or two officers (usually president and v.p.) be board members. Some do not specify ANY officer need be a board member.
My opinion is that the majority of any board should be "at large" and most officers should not also be board members. Officers should "DO" and the board should "DIRECT" and supervise. The quality control function should be separate from manufacturing and sales.
WilliamT
(Arizona)

07/05/2006 8:09 AM  
Posted By TaraR on 07/04/2006 3:22 PM

I'm still confused, what does 'at large' mean? Does this member classification have limits or are they as involved as the other board members? Meaning, do they have the right to vote on issues as the other board members?

Let's say you have a board consisting of 7 directors. The board then elects the following officers. President, VP, Tres., Sec. The 7 directors now consist of 4 officers and 3 directors at large. Everyone has the same voting rights. It's just that the 4 officers have very specific duties and responsibilities.

Now let's say you want to establish another office, instead of just a committee chair. You can have an office called, as an example, Community Affairs Director. The board writes a charter describing the specific duties and responsibilities for that office, and then the board elects a director to hold the office of Community Affairs.

Now you have 5 officers and 2 directors at large.

The directors at large debate and vote the same as the officers, just have no specified duty. They will perform whatever duties is asked of them, or that they volunteer for. The directors at large, and the officers can also be heads of committees that may be established.

Hope that helps,

Bill
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Board member 'at large'?

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement