Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, May 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Vandalism to Condo Buildings - Targetted at one condo owner
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
EkremS
(Virginia)

07/17/2008 9:51 AM  
We have a dilemma in our condo. One of our condo buildings was vandalized last week and was targeted at one homeowner specifically. They threw a bucket of paint at the front door of the building, all over the telephone entry pad and spray painted some very evil, nasty things targeted at the homeowner. They even spelled out his full name, and his unit number. They did this in not one, not two but five different locations - primarily where the most number of people would see it.

The police feel that the homeowner angered somebody greatly enough that he brought this vandalism upon himself - unfortunately the damage was caused to the association building so the whole building was victimized and the association as a whole. The resident will not admit to anything, says he has no idea why they'd pick on him.

Residents are demanding we bill the homeowner for the damage caused since he obviously knew who did this to him, and he's not telling either the police or us anything.

It has cost us over $1,500 to remove the graffiti and paint and it's still not all gone.

What would you do?

Should the whole association have to suffer because of the actions of one individual?

Who's the real victim here? The homeowner or the residents of the building or the association as a whole?

Please help us work through this.
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

07/17/2008 10:01 AM  

EkremS,

Vandals are vandals. They make the decisions to ruin property, being that they are angry at 1 person or society as a whole. I am sure that this guy did not invite them to do their nasty work. You do not know what any circumstances are which started this. He could have had a valid reason to confront whoever this is so don't use the blame finger on this --yet. I have heard of anyone who has to make a decision will come across someone else who doesn't like his decision, and BAM!!! then we have this kind of junk started.

Do you know for a fact that he knows who did this? In the mean time, let the Police handle this because this is what you pay taxes for .
BradP
(Kansas)

07/17/2008 11:36 AM  
OMG...I can't believe I actually read this. Lets sort through this, vandalism is a crime in most parts of the country (giving the benefit of the doubt for any undeveloped areas). If a crime is committed the property owner has two means of paying for damages...1) they can pay for it themselves with either insurance or their own money, or 2) they can sue or ask the court to award damages to the party who did this damage.

It makes no difference who the vandalism was targeted at, even if this person angered the other one how in the world can you hold them accountable for it. The residents of your association should be ashamed of themselves, for all you know this person is a victim. They may be afraid of further retaliation if they tell you or the police who did this. The person went this far to commit a crime, what is next, a bullet?

Bottomline is your association should pay for it, you should apologize to this person and offer support and let the police handle the investigation.
MaryA1

07/17/2008 4:08 PM  
I, too, am shocked that the members of the assn would feel the h/o should be resp. for paying for the damages inflicted by this horrible act of vandalism. Hasn't anyone ever heard the saying, "But, for the grace of God go I"? Whether or not the h/o knows who did this is not the issue; the issue is HE didn't do it and he should not be liable for the cost of repair. Doesn't the assn have insurance?

I guess this h/o can now see who his friends are in the community. Instead of commiserating with him (as a good neighbor would do) they want to rob his bank account!
MicheleD
(Kentucky)

07/17/2008 4:28 PM  
Yea, and women who wear short skirts are just asking to get raped, so WTF, eh?

OMG. I am stunned, and I probably shouldn't be, that this homeowner is being victimized twice, first by this group of thugs, and then by his OWN community.

I'm also pretty ticked at the cop for even making the "she brought this rape on herself" statement. Oh wait, he didn't say THAT, did he? He said, that "the homeowner angered somebody greatly enough that he brought this vandalism upon himself."

I've been vandalized. I angered someone enough that they felt the way to 'get back' at me was to damage my outdoor Christmas decorations.

Let's see, what heinous thing did I do. . . Did I kick their dog? Nooooo. Did I punch their kid? Noooo. Did I slash their tires? Nooooo.

Oh I remember what it was, I was president of the HOA when they received a notice to stop parking their commercial vehicle in their doorway.

Who knows what triggers some lunkheads to do what they do? But because THEY have anti-social behavior and no respect for the law doesn't mean their VICTIM needs to be further traumatized and victimized.

Grow some big ones and tell the homeowners that are blaming him and wanting him to pay for it to suck it up and find a way to reach out to this guy (and his family) to see if they need anything. Don't forget, they're already pretty traumatized knowing that someone would be THAT destructive. They may well be fearing for their very lives or safety right now.

Knuckleheads. . . .
JeanneK3
(Maryland)

07/17/2008 5:11 PM  
Whatever happened to empathy? It appalls me that a community would blame the victim. This is a mob mentality that must be stopped in its tracks.
KirkW1
(Texas)

07/17/2008 7:33 PM  
...The police feel that the homeowner angered somebody greatly enough that he brought this vandalism upon himself ...

...Residents are demanding we bill the homeowner for the damage caused since he obviously knew who did this to him, and he's not telling either the police or us anything....

...Should the whole association have to suffer because of the actions of one individual?

Who's the real victim here? The homeowner or the residents of the building or the association as a whole?

Lets start with the root of the situation. The root is that some person or group felt that it was acceptable to attack the property of a large group because they were upset with a single person.

Nobody "brings this on themselves." Your whole town has a crisis on its hands because the police are being allowed to think along these lines. That they would say this is an indication that they are not going to seriously pursue this crime. If their logic level held, they should be beat out back behind the woodshed.

As for the residents, who died and gave them such knowledge of what others know? And if they have the powers to know what the resident who was targeted knows, why don't they use their power to reveal the perpetrator.

As for the bill, you have no legal basis. The argument will not be allowed in a court. But it is quite likely that a judge will entertain an argument of emotional distress and damages against the individual resident. If nothing else, only spend a few hundred to have the association lawyer explain to the others how this has no legal basis and is bound for failure.

As for who is the "real" victim here. Everyone in the association is a victim. Some person or group attacked your entire community to get at one person. And there is reason to be concerned that the resident named in the attack should be concerned for his/her personal safety. What is worse is that while concerned about being physically attacked, at least some of his "neighbors" are showing depraved indifference for his plight.
NicoleO4

07/17/2008 9:54 PM  
Even by my crazy HOA standards.. this is insane.. totally crazy insane.
GlenL
(Ohio)

07/18/2008 1:17 AM  
Ekrem just what clause would you use in your documents to justify charging the cleanup back to this person? While he and the whole community are the victims in this, he is not the perpetrator and in most CC&R's you can only charge the person or persons who actually did the damage. That is unless you like the thought of being on the news because if you try to charge this guy for the cleanup I can almost guarantee that you will be and it will not be flattering to your HOA.

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
DJ1
(Ontario)

07/18/2008 4:40 AM  
Victimize the victim a second time, yeah, that'll solve things. Glad to see there are rationale HOA board members posting how ludicrous it would be to charge the victim!

Maybe the victim should SUE the HOA for ALLOWING the vandalism targeting the member, yeah, that makes about as much sense as the latter situation!

The vandalism was done in FIVE very visible areas according to your statement yet no one saw it. Hmmm, one or maybe two public areas someone could get away with but FIVE. Must have been the HOA BOD doing the vandalism, only possible explanation how five very visible areas could be done without someone seeing something! (tongue in cheek)
NicoleO4

07/18/2008 6:56 AM  
THis whole scenerio sounds like an HOA who just is looking to lynch someone "just to show them"....

Frankly if I was the victim and I knew about this... I would be contacting an atty!
NicoleO4

07/18/2008 6:56 AM  
THis whole scenerio sounds like an HOA who just is looking to lynch someone "just to show them"....

Frankly if I was the victim and I knew about this... I would be contacting an atty!
BradP
(Kansas)

07/18/2008 7:01 AM  
Posted By EkremS on 07/17/2008 9:51 AM

The police feel that the homeowner angered somebody greatly enough that he brought this vandalism upon himself - unfortunately the damage was caused to the association building so the whole building was victimized and the association as a whole. The resident will not admit to anything, says he has no idea why they'd pick on him.

If I were the unit owner who is being targeted I would file complaints with the police department, would have contacted every news outlet in the area with this story and would have contacted an attorney.

For the police to make that statement above is ludicrous and the officer who made it should be disciplined. Meanwhile if I were a member in this condo community and especially a board member I would start backpeddling to avoid looking any more stupid than we already do...
KirkW1
(Texas)

07/18/2008 7:28 AM  
If I were the unit owner who is being targeted I would file complaints with the police department, would have contacted every news outlet in the area with this story ...

I think the board president should do this. There was a time and place when neighbors looked out for each other at some level. The whole concept of the association is to look after all neighbor's interest. I would get on the camera and throw the police as far under the bus as possible.

I would also state (on camera) that nobody deserves this kind of treatment, or "brings it on himself."
BruceF1
(Connecticut)

07/18/2008 9:29 AM  
Posted By BradP on 07/17/2008 11:36 AM
OMG...I can't believe I actually read this. Lets sort through this, vandalism is a crime in most parts of the country (giving the benefit of the doubt for any undeveloped areas). If a crime is committed the property owner has two means of paying for damages...1) they can pay for it themselves with either insurance or their own money, or 2) they can sue or ask the court to award damages to the party who did this damage.

Didn't you mean to say, "they can sue or ask the court to award damages TO BE PAID BY the party who did this damage?"
BradP
(Kansas)

07/18/2008 10:07 AM  
I am sure I did...
EkremS
(Virginia)

07/18/2008 1:24 PM  
Thank you to everyone who has commented. Much appreciate the guidance!
MicheleD
(Kentucky)

07/18/2008 1:42 PM  
De nada. . .

Oh, and just a word to the wise, watch your back with those homeowners!

MicheleD
(Kentucky)

07/18/2008 1:43 PM  
. . . that is to say, watch your back with the homeowners who want the VICTIM to pay.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Vandalism to Condo Buildings - Targetted at one condo owner

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement