Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: More disappearing money
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BradP
(Kansas)

06/26/2006 7:41 PM  
This is a follow-up to a previous thread I started, orginally I noticed two cash withdrawals for $210 total from three years ago in our association. I asked the previous treasurer in person about it, she said she didn't remember anything.

Well...Since then I have done a thorough check on all bank statements and have noticed more mysterious transactions. She did three seperate check deposits in 2003 and got cash back. In total we have $349.50 that was withdrew and unaccounted for.

What should I do, send a letter to her asking for an explanation and telling her that the appearance of these transactions is bad for the association? I know she will deny any knowledge of it. But, can I ban her and her husband from every being a board member again? Can I revoke her membership rights? I was willing to take 2 transactions and $210 in the shorts and move on, but 5 for $349.50 bothers me a lot.

Thoughts?
HaroldS
(Arizona)

06/26/2006 9:40 PM  
Did you read the board minutes for those dates? Maybe she was authorized to reimburse herself for money spent on association business or supplies. If anything, she is certainly guilty of poor judgment for not identifying every cent while under her control. But believe me, if I were going to embezzle it would have to be worthwhile and certainly for a lot more than $349.50.
If you are sure of your facts, you need to turn them over to the proper authorities and let them handle it. Harold
PS - Does your documents actually give you the power to ban someone for life and their spouse too? And to revoke their membership rights?
WilliamT
(Arizona)

06/27/2006 5:59 AM  
Regarding reimbursement of money that board members advance for small items:

Is it proper for a director who has spent money, such as $50 for small repair parts, to just hand a receipt to the MC for reimbursement?

Or should the director first make a motion to have the board approve the expenditure?

Would the MC need authorization from the board (through a resolution) to cut a check?

I'm trying to find the best way for this sort of expense reimbursement.

Thanks,

Bill

BradP
(Kansas)

06/27/2006 7:16 AM  
Harold:

Herein lies the problem, there are no record or copies of minutes from back then. Our HOA did a very poor job of running meetings, keeping minutes and just about everything. Part of it could be for reimbursement of but she withdrew $320 with three seperate transactions on the same day.

Our docs provide that we can suspend member rights, i.e. voting and use of common areas, if they break any of our CC&R's and if the board feels there is good cause to do so.

I am not 100% sure of the facts, unless she talks we can only speculate. Is this something that should be brought up in a board meeting?
JulieS
(Georgia)

06/27/2006 8:02 AM  
Bill,

I am always purchasing items for the neighborhood. Most items are for a specific item, or related to something, that the board has voted and agreed to (i.e., purchase of new basketball goal, community cookout, website hosting, etc.). I create an expense report and include copies of all purchases in which I am asking to be reimbursed for. The MC then writes me a check to cover these items put on my personal credit card.

We had a situation last year in which a resident overturned the board and during that process, four people spent the morning at the MC's office going through everything. They specifically were interested in what I did and anything with my name on it. They were unable to find any wrong doing on my part. Documentation is everything.
GeraldT1

06/27/2006 8:04 AM  
Hi Brad - I would only bring this up in private session because the facts are dated, sketchy and the implications could be damaging. You have no proof that a violation occurred, no matter how suspicious the withdrawals may seem. Since this owner is not a treasurer anymore, it doesn't seem like any future damage could occur. However, I would document the sums that were unnacounted for in your general ledger, I would institute a policy and a repercussion to prevent this from occurring in the future. Typically, officers can have their title stripped but remain on the Board as Directors. GeraldT1
WilliamT
(Arizona)

06/27/2006 8:08 AM  
Thanks Julie,

Bill
LisaS
(Illinois)

06/27/2006 9:00 AM  
Records of account and receipts are supposed to be kept for 10 years. It's not a difficult task...heck a shoe box would do! So i too would be suspicious.

I would not make any public accusations that you cannot factually back up. But I would make mention of concerns regarding accounting practices, and the fact that you had questions and were not able to find answers that should have been easily provided. People that have nothing to hide and that have made honest mistaked will not be offended. And those that are not that honest will take note that someone is watching.

BradP
(Kansas)

06/27/2006 11:08 AM  
I appreciate the feedback. As much as it angers me it really isn't worth taking the risk of accussing her of wrongdoing. I am simply going to send her a letter and ask if she has receipts and remembers what happened, then we will discuss at a board meeting proper safeguards and penalties for when those aren't followed.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > More disappearing money

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement