Get 6 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, September 30, 2014
HOA Websites by Community123.com (National Community Website Provider)
We built HOATalk and we'll build your community website for free!  Click here for information on a free trial website.
Community Associations Network (National HOA Reference Library)
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOW TO WIN ELECTION TO BOARD?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LisaB10
(Florida)

06/22/2008 7:24 PM  
Hi, My board sent out notice that two seats are up for election.I am intrested but new to HOA and condo boards. They say to send a letter of intent and one page about your qualifications. What is the election process? What is the best way to get votes. Is it politics as usual...all in who you know? What do they look for in a candidate?
CharlesW1
(Georgia)

06/23/2008 3:25 AM  
Posted By LisaB10 on 06/22/2008 7:24 PM
Hi, My board sent out notice that two seats are up for election.I am intrested but new to HOA and condo boards. They say to send a letter of intent and one page about your qualifications. What is the election process? What is the best way to get votes. Is it politics as usual...all in who you know? What do they look for in a candidate?

LisaB10,

I would highly suggest introducing yourself to members of your community, perhaps making frequent appearances at the pool, gazebo, or other member’s only congregate would certainly increase your chances of being elected.

Solicit for proxies and/or ballots to increase your chances of being an elected board member.If proxies are permitted, gather as many as possible from residents who reside within the community. Be certain to have them authorize you, the power to vote for them or ask them to complete the ballot itself. More than likely they will vote for you. They wouldn’t know who (if any) floor nominations, but that would be entirely their choice. Especially “IF” they feel you would be best qualified.

Sounds as though you need to start “pounding the pavement”, if you want it to be a board member that BADLY.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

Chuck W.

Charles E. Wafer Jr.
AnnaD2
(Florida)

06/23/2008 4:24 AM  
Lisa, is it a regular election or are there vancancies on the board? If they are vacancies, then there is no election. The remaining board members simply select and appoint two interested people to fill the seats. You'd be sending your letter of intent directly to them. If it is a regular election then the entire membership receives your letter of intent and they vote on who they want to be on the board.

I'd be very educated as to your documents and state statutes before being on the board. That can be one of your "qualifications"--that you know the rules and proper proceedures to act as a board member.

Let us know what happens and I wish you the best of luck!
SusanW1
(Michigan)

06/23/2008 4:37 PM  
I hope you have had an opportunity to observe the going-ons of the board at their meetings. That will give you an idea of whether or not you want to even be a part of this.
KirkW1
(Texas)

06/23/2008 7:40 PM  
I would second the opinion to gather proxies. I think even people who don't sign over their proxy will be more apt to vote for you if you have proven interest. The president will probably have some proxies as well since most organizations allow for people to simply sign and return proxies giving the president the vote.

While you are out asking for proxies, listen to what people's concerns are as well so you have ideas on what is wanted. Also keep in mind that if only two people volunteer including yourself you will automatically win the election.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOW TO WIN ELECTION TO BOARD?

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement