Get 6 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
HOA Websites by Community123.com (National Community Website Provider)
We built HOATalk and we'll build your community website for free!  Click here for information on a free trial website.
Community Associations Network (National HOA Reference Library)
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Enforcing Dog Leash and Cleanup
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BobW
(Florida)

04/05/2006 4:14 PM  
Our HOA is brand new and cannot come up with a plan to enforece dog leash and dog cleanup rules. I'm sure this is a typical problem so can anyone give us some ideas as to what we can do?
RobertS
(Georgia)

04/06/2006 6:13 AM  
We have a similar problem with our HOA. The problem is that unless you can get folks to report the problem and who is not picking up, it's nearly impossible to do anything about it. Once we find out who is doing it, they get a letter of warning, and then a $25 fine for each additional offense.
JulieS
(Georgia)

04/06/2006 11:21 AM  
Leash laws are typically a county regulation and animal control can be called to enforce this issue. Also, some counties and cities now have strict regulations regarding pet waste. I would see if there is anything on the books for this where you live. Often we receive these same complaints... post a friendly reminder in the our newsletter and encourage residents to contact the animal control or the police for this.
AdamM
(Utah)

04/08/2006 9:51 AM  
We have put notices on doors and included information in newsletters. At our last board meeting we approved an increase in the fine.

Now it is a $100 fine if you do not clean up after your pet.

We also said that two witnesses need to report the incident and they each receive a $50 reward.

It has worked pretty well. It is worth $50 to take notice and call in.

Hope this helps.

Adam
BeckyW
(Georgia)

04/08/2006 10:03 AM  
Interesting idea, Adam. A reward system just might have some impact for people to step forward.

Our HOA might run into some problems with requiring two witnesses because our "incidents" seem to happen late at night, but it's food for thought and I appreciate you sharing.

HaroldS
(Arizona)

04/08/2006 2:33 PM  
Yes, a very interesting concept Adam. Pay for poop. "Hey Sue, want to make an easy $100 by reporting old Crabapple for letting his dog poop in the common area?" Never mind that it wasn't old Crabapple. By golly, you've got two people saying for $100 that it was him. Has your board suspended due process too? Harold
KevinK2

04/09/2006 2:21 PM  
I agree with Julie. The best method is to contact animal control in your county or city to see if they have rules. Our county has done a good job of talking to people who don't clean up the messes they make. Often all it takes is for someone in a uniform to wake the offenders.
BrianB
(California)

04/09/2006 9:11 PM  
in general, i advise that a board enforce CC&R's, and let the city, county, state and feds enforce every thing they have rules in place for. Don't try to do another entity's work, you got enough on your plate without taking on more.
GeorgeB1
(North Carolina)

03/04/2007 12:25 PM  
Thanks AdamM for your idea. We have a major problem with individuals who will not clean up after their dogs. We have provided pooper scopers, baggies, etc. I will present to my board the award idea. However, to take it even further --- take a picture of the offense! Many people carry cellphones with cameras this should help. Note, we had a picture, went to the owner only to have him tell us that it wasn't his dog! So you will hear it all. If others have ideas, let me have them. We are short of hiring a service to clear up the common areas of the offense and levying a charge to all dog owners of this service; but that does not seem fair to those owners who do clean up after their dogs.
RonaldW
(South Carolina)

03/04/2007 1:30 PM  
I agree with a couple of the others - if there are county, city or town ordinances in place, let the authorities handle it. You're much better off having owners angry with the authorities than the HOA.

This goes for animal complaints, noise complaints, junked vehicles, just about any nuisance.

Ron
SC
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

03/04/2007 9:46 PM  
Our CC&R's and By-laws do have a reference to ALL animals must be leashed. We also "assigned" designated dog doo-doo areas. At one point, our largest piece of open common area by the pool was being used by owner's to let their dog's. I stopped that by placing a temporary fence (cheap decorated wire fence) up with a sign. The sign said: "Warning area treated with Pet repellent. Do NOT allow pets in area". I did treat the area temporarily with a pet repellent that you can buy in stores. However, I did have some owner's complain about the "smell" bothering their senses. (Ironically, I hadn't even applied it at the time!). I also recommended anyone with cat issues to also place the dog/cat repellant in their flower beds if they so desired.
We called the Animal Control department if someone was walking their animal off a leash. We have leash laws here in my city. Another city actually has laws about letting cats run free. You may want to contact your city to find out the laws.
I would not encourage putting the dog/cat repellent out without discussion or warnings. Some owner's may feel their animals may be put into "danger" or get sick. I will say that this did work in my HOA but as long as I did it short term. That seemed to get the message across to the offending owner's. The product is safe it just smells and only last a few days.
I do own 2 dogs and a cat. So I can understand both sides of the issue. It was a matter more of training the owner's more than the pets. And this old dog here, had to learn a new trick!

Former HOA President
DaleH3
(Florida)

04/11/2011 11:16 PM  
Please respond ASAP...is it common HOA procedures for HOA Board Members to go unannounced to an owner's condo to follow up on the complaint of another condo owner that their dog left poop at the complainer’s door based on the fact that that owner lives above the complainer?....vs. sending an email to all owners about cleaning up after their dogs? this action seems odd and accusing someone of something before confirmation and using members of the board to harass and slur without probable cause to insult the character of person without real facts....and singling out someone when loose poop has been noticed all over the complex...where is the respect and what can be immediately done when unexpected arrivals venture unrestrained into the personal boundaries of a family owner member's privacy only to serve unjustified rude hurtful comments blaming someone for something that the owner was not aware of happening? Where is the sanctity of due order and honor and process? Simply quickly acting on a owner's complaint without investigation is the most ridiculous offense I have ever heard of and someone needs to be "fired" and severely reprimanded for creating emotional pain in the lives of a family member's owner of the condo and a dog that cannot safely venture out on its own without a leash thus could NOT have left this poop at the door of the complaining condo owner. What can be immediately done to help in the healing of the offended condo owner?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/13/2011 4:15 PM  
There is a difference between HOA duties and the LAW. Harassment is a LEGAL issue. Simply call the police and report them for harassing behavior. Being on a HOA board doesn't negate personal behavior. There is a line between the two and it may be time to establish that.

I will never forget working 2nd shift and going to bed at 3 -4 AM to be woken up at 7 AM about dog poop...When the kid's would be up to go to school, someone would always find a "pile" somewhere along the line. They always felt the need to call me about it and report it. Learned to post my "working hours" because of that. However, after designating certain areas for poo and a few mysterious drops of poo into the owner's yard...things improved...

Yes, a letter or notice should suffice and request the HOA develop a "form" for this type of violation. This way they won't get accused of harassment when giving out notices and it will limit PERSONAL appearnance of impolite people...

Former HOA President
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Enforcing Dog Leash and Cleanup

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement