Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Owner vs Owner violation enforcement
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
GenoS
(Florida)

09/08/2019 2:53 PM  
I see and hear all the time that individual homeowners can enforce the governing documents themselves as a private action even if the HOA itself does not. That's written in the Florida HOA (and condo) statute explicitly. Also, our CC&Rs spell it out explicitly, too.

What I haven't seen are accounts of where such enforcement has actually happened. Does anyone have any knowledge of such ownver vs. owner violation enforcement activity?
PaulJ6
(New York)

09/08/2019 3:21 PM  
Posted By GenoS on 09/08/2019 2:53 PM
I see and hear all the time that individual homeowners can enforce the governing documents themselves as a private action even if the HOA itself does not. That's written in the Florida HOA (and condo) statute explicitly. Also, our CC&Rs spell it out explicitly, too.

What I haven't seen are accounts of where such enforcement has actually happened. Does anyone have any knowledge of such ownver vs. owner violation enforcement activity?

I don’t know about Florida HOAs specifically but in many states, an owner can send a demand to the HOA board, demanding that the board enforce rules. If the board does not, then the owner can file a lawsuit against the rule breaker. This is called a “derivative lawsuit”. It’s rare and if an owner pursues a derivative lawsuit, the HOA board will not like it. I’ve seen this done before.
KerryL1
(California)

09/08/2019 3:42 PM  
When I was on our board, an owner went into mediation with another owner for noxious odors and nuisance behavior due to the lower floor owners' balcony smoking that bothered the residents in the floor above. About 8 years ago.

I don't recall the details, but the upper's action was to get the board to tell the lowers to smoke inside. The HOA attorney went back & forth between us (the board) the complainer's room and the smokers' room. They each spoke to the mediator. The upper also name u in and spoke with us for a few minutes. The mediator finally after about 3 hours told us via our GC to instruct the smokers to smoke in the unit or outside on the exterior of the building on the ground floor level. I believe their was a fine schedule involved. We complied and so did the smokers.

I don't remember who paid the mediator. I guess the HOA paid the attorney. I believe the procedure is at Davis-stirling.com. I believe it's a required first step that must be taken before a neighbor sues the HOA & the neighbor.. I'm not going to look it up.

If I'm off on some details, It appears that Richard won't correct me as he's left the building.
GenoS
(Florida)

09/08/2019 10:25 PM  
Interesting. In Florida a dispute headed to court must first go through non-binding mediation when it's between an owner and the HOA. FS 720.311 requires that, "Disputes between an association and a parcel owner" must go through presuit mediation and if no agreement is reached then the dispute can be the subject of a lawsuit. FS 720 does not provide for presuit mediation proceedings when the dispute is between owners so I think proceding straight to a lawsuit without any ADR would be appropriate. But I'm not sure and would definitely consult with a licensed attorney before going down that road.

I still can't find any references to actual cases where the dispute was one owner vs another owner. I wonder how often that actually happens, where an owner files a covenant or rules enforcement action against a fellow owner who is alleged to have violated same. I'm beginning to think that even though such an action is available to owners, that those actions are far and few between (like never).
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

09/09/2019 7:09 AM  
Posted By GenoS on 09/08/2019 10:25 PM
I still can't find any references to actual cases where the dispute was one owner vs another owner. I wonder how often that actually happens, where an owner files a covenant or rules enforcement action against a fellow owner who is alleged to have violated same. I'm beginning to think that even though such an action is available to owners, that those actions are far and few between (like never).

Agree that it would be very rare.

When we receive a complaint by owner A against owner B, we notify B that we received a complaint.
We don't tell B who complained.
We don't tell A if the BOD took any action against B.

We can have a long-standing complaint that doesn't get resolved. The complaining owner might think that the BOD hasn't taken any action, even though it has. The only way to find out would be to sue, and we've never had an incident where that happened.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

09/09/2019 7:14 AM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 09/08/2019 3:42 PM
The mediator finally after about 3 hours told us via our GC to instruct the smokers to smoke in the unit or outside on the exterior of the building on the ground floor level. I believe their was a fine schedule involved. We complied and so did the smokers.

It would have been Arbitration if you were instructed what to do.
It would have been Mediation if, based on all the discussions, a recommendation was made, and all parties accepted it.
The distinction is that in Arbitration the decision is imposed by a third party, but in Mediation the parties themselves come to an agreement (and form a contract).

JeffT2
(Iowa)

09/09/2019 1:45 PM  
There was a case in Iowa where one condo owner sued another, because a balcony had been built in violation of the documents (too large). The balcony was built six years before the lawsuit.

An appeals court found that a condo declaration should be interpreted in the nature of real estate covenants, which has a five year statute of limitations, and not under general contract law, which has a ten-year statute of limitations. So the plaintiff owner lost and the balcony stayed.

Business contracts and real estate covenants are different. On this forum, we sometimes hear the advice to get a contract lawyer not a real estate lawyer, but in this case the law for real estate won out. If an HOA lawyer was not available, I might hire an experienced real estate lawyer over a contract lawyer.
KerryL1
(California)

09/09/2019 2:34 PM  
Thanks, NpS, showing the distinction. I can't honestly remember if the mediator "advised" us or directed us. I do not think, though we were in arbitration.

Btw, the board recently voted 5-1 for a rule change that permits smoking only in condo units-- no more on balconies,/patios/decks. It's been prohibited on our exterior common areas for years.

A director voted "no" as he "occasionally" smokes "socially." HA. I saw him a few days ago pacing like a maniac in his patio smoking. His arrogance is really insufferable. And, sad to say, he is an attorney.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

09/09/2019 3:10 PM  
Posted By JeffT2 on 09/09/2019 1:45 PM
Business contracts and real estate covenants are different. On this forum, we sometimes hear the advice to get a contract lawyer not a real estate lawyer, but in this case the law for real estate won out. If an HOA lawyer was not available, I might hire an experienced real estate lawyer over a contract lawyer.

Hi Jeff
If your post is in response to my statement about a mediation contract, let me clarify.
In mediation, the parties come to an agreement. That agreement is whatever the parties agree to. And when 2 parties agree to something - they form a contract. If later there's a dispute about the contract, it will usually be won or lost under contract law rather than RE law.

In your example, you referenced a judicial decision. That's different. The judge determined which laws applied. In mediation, there is no judge. It's up to the individuals to come to an agreement (contract) or not.

JeffT2
(Iowa)

09/09/2019 7:04 PM  
Posted By NpS on 09/09/2019 3:10 PM

Hi Jeff
If your post is in response to my statement about a mediation contract,...

My post was a general response to the main topic that just happened to be on the subject of contract versus Covenant.
GenoS
(Florida)

09/10/2019 1:04 PM  
Thanks, JeffT2, that is interesting and just the kind of thing I was asking about.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Owner vs Owner violation enforcement

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement