Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Owner left note of accusation of theft by the board.
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NicoleO5
(California)

09/07/2019 4:13 PM  
Hi! I know every HOA has one of these. The owner you haven't seen at a meeting in years.. We have many of them.

Me a board member was in receipt of an anonymous note left in our CCTV covered area. Of course I looked at it. It is a note accusing the board of stealing from the reserves... and we can see who did it.

Calling them to a hearing so we can discuss this in person. I am very concerned that a person would accuse the board of "stealing reserves" post it in a common area trying to undermine the work we have all been doing.

I know this is weird. But maybe there is something else we need to do. I feel being publicly accused of theft and someone posting it is a real issue..
PaulJ6
(New York)

09/07/2019 4:21 PM  
Posted By NicoleO5 on 09/07/2019 4:13 PM
Hi! I know every HOA has one of these. The owner you haven't seen at a meeting in years.. We have many of them.

Me a board member was in receipt of an anonymous note left in our CCTV covered area. Of course I looked at it. It is a note accusing the board of stealing from the reserves... and we can see who did it.

Calling them to a hearing so we can discuss this in person. I am very concerned that a person would accuse the board of "stealing reserves" post it in a common area trying to undermine the work we have all been doing.

I know this is weird. But maybe there is something else we need to do. I feel being publicly accused of theft and someone posting it is a real issue..

Calling a person in for a hearing is bound to result in a fight.

Is the accusation widely known?

Why not just made financial statements available, particularly if they're audited, and blanket the community with information? And let the community know that the person who left the note has been identified, and invite the person to speak to the board if s/he wants?
RichardP13

09/07/2019 4:35 PM  

Should be easy enough to prove if a theft occurred, did it?
NicoleO5
(California)

09/07/2019 4:58 PM  
NO... we just took out a huge special assessment for over half million loan! I swear if I stole any money.. I wouldnt't be living in a 30 year old condo or driving a 10 year old car now would I?
RichardP13

09/07/2019 5:05 PM  
I had two board members steal from their reserve account and they thought no one would catch them. It was not much, about $4K.
PaulJ6
(New York)

09/07/2019 5:06 PM  
Posted By NicoleO5 on 09/07/2019 4:58 PM
NO... we just took out a huge special assessment for over half million loan! I swear if I stole any money.. I wouldnt't be living in a 30 year old condo or driving a 10 year old car now would I?

There are other board members.

All HOA accounts should be audited- and not just the numbers lining up, but the procedures that the HOA follows also need to be audited and shown to be foolproof. Is that done?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/07/2019 5:12 PM  
Just run an audit and make the results known afterward. No need to confront the person who wrote the note. Just find out if it is true or not by doing an audit. If it's true then the HOA needs to decide to press charges or demand the money back. If it's NOT true, then by all means make the audit results available for proof.

Someone here is trying to poison the water. Time to find out if the poison is salt or cyanide....

Former HOA President
PaulJ6
(New York)

09/07/2019 5:25 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 09/07/2019 5:12 PM
Just run an audit and make the results known afterward. No need to confront the person who wrote the note. Just find out if it is true or not by doing an audit. If it's true then the HOA needs to decide to press charges or demand the money back. If it's NOT true, then by all means make the audit results available for proof.

Someone here is trying to poison the water. Time to find out if the poison is salt or cyanide....

I agree 100%.

If you (the OP) proactively call in the person, particularly for a "hearing", expect a fight with a person who will then be adamant in wanting to cause problems.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

09/07/2019 5:38 PM  
What a dweeb. Didn't the guy remember that area is monitored by a camera???

Usually I don't give much attention to anonymous anything. If you're concerned, say so to the board 's faces. or run against them in the next election. Personally I might be inclined to ask the guy to an executive session, show him the video and then ask if he has any issues with the board's management of the reserves and if so why not say something in person before now.

Instead, focus on making sure the homeowners are fully informed about association finances and encourage them to ask questions instead of relying on rumors. You may not be able to control others foolishness but you can and should control yourselves.

GenoS
(Florida)

09/07/2019 6:32 PM  
Me a board member was in receipt of an anonymous note left in our CCTV covered area.

Throw it out.
NicoleO5
(California)

09/07/2019 8:14 PM  
It is but it has been noted by the board.. and we know who did it.. oddly enough, it's not an owner.. it's a family of the owner who is on the title. LOL- the like that person's concerns matter.
KerryL1
(California)

09/07/2019 9:17 PM  
Your reasons (rules violations, say) to call owners to hearings must be in writing, Nicole, so that owners know WHAT rule they're violating. What rule is this jerk violating?

KerryL1
(California)

09/07/2019 9:17 PM  
Your reasons (rules violations, say) to call owners to hearings must be in writing, Nicole, so that owners know WHAT rule they're violating. What rule is this jerk violating?

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/08/2019 9:22 AM  
When we get an anonymous complaint, we do investigate it. I say bring the note to the BOD and investigate it.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/08/2019 3:38 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 09/08/2019 9:22 AM
When we get an anonymous complaint, we do investigate it. I say bring the note to the BOD and investigate it.

Absolutely. Audit the books, and if there is no evidence of wrongdoing, ignore the complaint. (We never respond to anonymous complaints beyond investigating.)

I'd also suggest tooting your horns when you have good news to report. This will give homeowners confidence in the board and will help undermine the credibility of the chronic or anonymous complainers. Complainers can really poison the atmosphere of a community if people pay attention to their nonsense, and it helps if other homeowners recognize them for what they are.

GenoS
(Florida)

09/08/2019 10:29 PM  
In my opinion an anonymous complaint where the author can't be bothered to identify him or herself isn't worth the time of day, never mind conducting an investigation. Anyone who can't be bothered to put their name to a complaint or allegation doesn't deserve to be heard.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

09/09/2019 6:05 AM  
Posted By GenoS on 09/08/2019 10:29 PM
In my opinion an anonymous complaint where the author can't be bothered to identify him or herself isn't worth the time of day, never mind conducting an investigation. Anyone who can't be bothered to put their name to a complaint or allegation doesn't deserve to be heard.

I agree, I'd just ignore.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/09/2019 8:04 AM  

I do not agree. For the betterment of all, a complaint should be investigated.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

09/09/2019 8:27 AM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 09/09/2019 8:04 AM

I do not agree. For the betterment of all, a complaint should be investigated.

General statements rarely capture the nuances.
If there's a safety issue, one perspective. If it's a common complaint that the HOA can't seem to get under control, something else.
Tone is also important. If it's a gripe against a "do-nothing" BOD, one thing. If it attempts to inform, something else.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
SamE2
(New Jersey)

09/09/2019 4:53 PM  
I would confront the person with an email and ask for more information. I would investigate and publish the findings including the name of the person who started it. The reason I would take this route is because I think rumors and lies by members are the biggest concern for a HOA. People can say anything without any proof or accountability. I tell our unit owners all the time it is okay to have different opinions but not different facts. The guy needs to be held accountable.
SueW6
(Michigan)

09/10/2019 6:41 AM  
Our treasurer remodeled her home. Do you believe that the rumor was that she used HOA funds to do this? The Board ignored these rumors. Why? Because each month she gave bank statement-backed reports to the board in her treasurer’s report and 2 signatures are required for checks.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Owner left note of accusation of theft by the board.

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement