Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Disabled Parking on Private Property -
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NicoleO1
(California)

09/06/2019 11:30 PM  
Our HOA has private sub terrain parking. Our disabled bay are for residents only. One owner had a guest park in his spot and he in turn parked his car in the disabled spot using his mom’s placard. The car belongs to the owner the placard belongs to his guest. His other guest is in his spot. I asked about accommodating the displaced owner and got the door slammed in my face. Our rules are clear.. local police won’t get involved as it’s private property.

Our CCRs

NicoleO1
(California)

09/06/2019 11:42 PM  
Our rules are clear the only spot a guest can take must belong to the person being visited. It’s murky when it comes to disabled spot and an owner using a placard of a guest.
SamE2
(New Jersey)

09/07/2019 4:35 AM  
The rules I have read about placards are that only the people that they are issued to can use them. Is your state has that rule the owner could not use his mother's placard.
MarkM19
(Texas)

09/07/2019 7:16 AM  
Nicole,
When I was on my last board in Ca. we had a lady that abused her handicap Placard constantly. She actually was given 3 placards for 3 different cars and parked in front of her house verses her driveway. We had rules that did not allow street parking. We also had private streets. This went on for years and before I moved to Texas she was actually suing our HOA for harassment because we tried to reign her in. If I were you I would tread lightly. If this is an occasional thing you will probably be better off focusing on other issues. Our attorney told us that Handicap Placards allow them to break most rules.
NicoleO5
(California)

09/07/2019 9:58 AM  
Thats a tough one. I really think it just comes down to doing what is right. Some people can't see outside of their own bubble of narcissism. If you happen to get the spot when he lives. Make it a point not to move your car the rest of the weekend. This will ensure your spot and stop this from happening again.... People can be jerks.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/07/2019 11:45 AM  
Nic

I need this explained better. My assumption is:

1. Parking spots are assigned to owners and in this case, one spot.
2. The owner allowed a guest to park in his spot.
3. The owner then parked his own car in a Handicap spot using his Mother's Handicap Placard.

If the above is correct, about all you can do it catch the owner parking in or leaving from the Handicap Parking and then fine him for improper Handicap Parking, assuming you can fine. I say you have to catch him red handed otherwise he will claim his Mother is using his car and parking there then slam the door in your face.
NicoleO1
(California)

09/07/2019 12:46 PM  
Yes! I completely agree. And yes...you got it right..
RichardP13

09/07/2019 7:11 PM  
Using someone's placard in California is cause for that placard to be removed. Police should be used to handle that. They may not handle your parking issue, but tickets are issued all the time for placards used that don't belong to the owner of the vehicle, or the addresses don't match.
MarkM19
(Texas)

09/07/2019 7:28 PM  
Richard,
The top 3 things in life that get abused.

1) Alcohol
2) Drugs
3) Handicap Placards

I wish they had Cops at the stores in Ca. it used to drive me crazy to watch guys and ladies jump out of cars parked in handicap spots and run into stores dressed in workout attire. I have never seen one of them challenged. It happens everywhere but Ca. was by far the worst I have seen in my travels over the years.
RichardP13

09/07/2019 7:31 PM  
I would put 3 at the top. They actually have patrols that do cite offenders. My wife got one for using mine some years ago. Fixed that got one for each of us.
NicoleO1
(California)

09/07/2019 7:36 PM  
Posted By MarkM19 on 09/07/2019 7:28 PM
Richard,
The top 3 things in life that get abused.

1) Alcohol
2) Drugs
3) Handicap Placards

I wish they had Cops at the stores in Ca. it used to drive me crazy to watch guys and ladies jump out of cars parked in handicap spots and run into stores dressed in workout attire. I have never seen one of them challenged. It happens everywhere but Ca. was by far the worst I have seen in my travels over the years.

That’s not a fair analogy. Disability is not always plain in sight. That’s a rather ignorant comment. What about my neighbors who is 30 and has MS? She walks with a cane some days others not.
RichardP13

09/07/2019 7:39 PM  
What Mark and I are referring to are people who use other people placard thinking no one would check. Reality is they do check, maybe not all the time.
MarkM19
(Texas)

09/07/2019 7:44 PM  
Nicole,
Are you the same person who started this post?? Seems like the rules change based on the situation. If your neighbor is having a good day and does not need the placard why would they take a spot from someone who needs it everyday? If someone has a need I am totally with them using the best spots available for access. My problem is when they are used by family members because they are lazy people. If you have not seen this you should apply for a placard because your eyes must have a problem.
NicoleO5
(California)

09/07/2019 7:56 PM  
YOU ARE A RUDE JERK.. that wasn't necessary..
MarkM19
(Texas)

09/07/2019 8:09 PM  
Wow sorry I must have "triggered" you. Did you actually expect everyone on this site to agree with everything you say? I am sorry you are always right and we won't keep score anymore. It is a crazy time when you can not speak the truth because it offenses the Nicole's of the world.

Please tell me what is Rude about my post.
RichardP13

09/07/2019 8:09 PM  
It must be a full moon tonight!
NicoleO5
(California)

09/07/2019 8:12 PM  
You can't be that stupid... If you have not seen this you should apply for a placard because your eyes must have a problem. This wasn't even geared at me.. but I still think you are a jerk.
RichardP13

09/07/2019 8:30 PM  
I just went outside, the moon is definitely full.
LetA
(Nevada)

09/08/2019 6:33 AM  
Simple solution, take a picture of the car with handicap placard and make an anonymous complaint to the DMV. Go there in person and speak to the director. The DMV issues placards and they can revoke them.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Disabled Parking on Private Property -

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement