Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Tree damage to Vehicle (totaled)
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BellaR
(Arizona)

09/03/2019 2:40 PM  
Hello,

Can anyone give me some insight on how the HOA's insurance company can immediately say a downed tree is an act of Nature and they are not liable? Farmers is naturally denying any responsibility and saying acts of nature are not covered. Any thoughts, insight and suggestions as to what to say and not to say in this case would be very welcomed.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/03/2019 3:17 PM  
Posted By BellaR on 09/03/2019 2:40 PM
Hello,

Can anyone give me some insight on how the HOA's insurance company can immediately say a downed tree is an act of Nature and they are not liable? Farmers is naturally denying any responsibility and saying acts of nature are not covered. Any thoughts, insight and suggestions as to what to say and not to say in this case would be very welcomed.

An act of God is an event resulting from natural causes, without human intervention, and one that could not have been prevented by reasonable foresight or care—for example, floods, lightning, earthquake, or storms.

It's very common for insurance policies exclude acts of God. If the tree were healthy and were blown over in a storm, that's an act of God. However, if the tree was unhealthy, dropping leaves and branches, and the owner/HOA had not been maintaining it properly, that's probably not an act of God and the owner of the vehicle may want to pursue this.

(Disclaimer: I'm not an insurance professional.)
LetA
(Nevada)

09/03/2019 3:58 PM  
Posted By BellaR on 09/03/2019 2:40 PM
Hello,

Because it is an act of God, and the HOA will come back and bury you in receipts for regular landscape maintenance You will be hard pressed to prove negligence on a healthy tree thats been properly cared for.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/03/2019 4:17 PM  
This is an insurance determination NOT a HOA thing. Let the insurance fight it out. Not enough details on the situation as well. We don't know how/when the tree fell over. Why isn't the homeowner's insurance or car owner's insurance not involved?

I had a tree fall on my neighbors house. Crashed on the roof. The tree was rotten and fell during the remnants of a tropical storm came through. My insurance had to pay for my neighbor's new roof. They filed the claim on my insurance. If it had been a healthy tree and had fallen, then my neighbor's insurance would have picked up the bill. Since tree was unhealthy and was aware of it, it was my fault. Note: The tree was in a difficult spot making it extremely difficult to remove.

So time to talk to your insurance company to get things done.

Former HOA President
KarlP
(Maryland)

09/04/2019 2:10 AM  
In Maryland a homeowner is responsible for any damage from a neighboring tree (including disposal of tree part on homeowner’s property unless the homeowner(s) have notified the tree owners that their tree(s) is/are endangering the homeowner’s property and inform the tree owners that they will be liable if the homeowner(s) property is damaged. The court will accept a copy of an email notification as proof.
TimM11

09/04/2019 10:30 AM  
You pay your insurance company to fight this battle for you, so let them fight it out with your HOA's insurance company.
RichardP13

09/04/2019 10:32 AM  
Posted By TimM11 on 09/04/2019 10:30 AM
You pay your insurance company to fight this battle for you, so let them fight it out with your HOA's insurance company.

Amen to that!
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/04/2019 1:27 PM  
Bella

You start with your automobile insurer and go from there. Not sure it could fall under your homeowners insurance unless you are in a single family home.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Tree damage to Vehicle (totaled)

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement