Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOAs indemnifying (paying for losses of) property managers, lawyers, etc.: standard?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PaulJ6
(New York)

09/01/2019 3:14 PM  
If third-party service providers to homeowners' associations incur losses while performing services for homeowners' associations, is it normal for the HOAs to indemnify them (i.e., pay for their losses)?

Say, for example, a property manager does something while working for the homeowners' association and the property manager gets sued because of what it did. Same for lawyers, landscapers, etc. Is it normal for homeowners' associations to pay them for their losses, even if they did something wrong?

I can see a homeowners' association paying for damages that a service provider incurs if the HOA is at fault, but in cases where the service provider is at fault, is it normal for the HOA to pay for their losses?

Thanks.
RichardP13

09/01/2019 3:38 PM  
What loss would we incur? I am indemnified by the Association.

If my employee steals funds from an HOA, the Association's insurance company covers the HOA loss and the HOA insurance would come have me. I have insurance if my employee does that to someone else.

PaulJ6
(New York)

09/01/2019 3:58 PM  
Let's say:

1. Someone runs into a landscaper's truck while it's parked, while work is done by the landscaper for the HOA.

2. The property manager's computer dedicated to the HOA is hacked while work is being done for the HOA.

3. The property manager messes up while working for the HOA and gets sued by an owner.
RichardP13

09/01/2019 4:19 PM  
1. Landscaper goes after the driver. The HOA is not involved.
2. My computers are NOT dedicated to any specific HOA. I have no information of value that anyone would want, no SS#'s, no signatures.
3. Hell, I mess up all the time, but never been sued. If I am doing what I am supposed to do and that is working on behalf of the HOA's I represent, then it would be turned over to the association's insurance.
PaulJ6
(New York)

09/01/2019 5:23 PM  
Thanks- and if your company makes a mistake while working for the HOA and gets sued, would the HOA's insurance typically cover your company? Seems odd that it would.
LetA
(Nevada)

09/01/2019 5:43 PM  
Posted By PaulJ6 on 09/01/2019 3:58 PM
Let's say:

1. Someone runs into a landscaper's truck while it's parked, while work is done by the landscaper for the HOA.

Landscapers auto insurance goes after the at-fault party, the HOA is never involved... EVER!

2. The property manager's computer dedicated to the HOA is hacked while work is being done for the HOA.

The property manager is a vendor just like the aforementioned landscaper; the BOD can go after the MC for damages.

3. The property manager messes up while working for the HOA and gets sued by an owner.
The HOA would be the first name on the blueback, there isn't a remote chance in hades that the MC would solely found at-fault because they are the hired contractor acting on behalf of the HOA.

RichardP13

09/01/2019 6:36 PM  
Posted By PaulJ6 on 09/01/2019 5:23 PM
Thanks- and if your company makes a mistake while working for the HOA and gets sued, would the HOA's insurance typically cover your company? Seems odd that it would.

Let's turns the table and say you screwed up while you were supposed to representing the HOA?
PaulJ6
(New York)

09/02/2019 3:23 AM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 09/01/2019 6:36 PM
Posted By PaulJ6 on 09/01/2019 5:23 PM

Let's turns the table and say you screwed up while you were supposed to representing the HOA?

I don't represent HOAs but if I did, and I screwed up, I would not (and probably COULD not) ask the HOA to pay for damages that I incurred. It may be an ethical violation for a lawyer to ask a client to cover the lawyer's losses, regardless of who's at fault.
JZ2
(Florida)

09/04/2019 5:51 PM  
It certainly is normal and customary for HOAs to indemnify property managers who incur liability based upon Association directive.

It is not at all customary for property managers to be indemnified for their OWN negligence or misconduct.

Indemnification duties arise from two independent sources: the state's law and the contractual agreement between the parties.

CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/05/2019 5:23 AM  
Our Declaration requires us to maintain a certain level of fidelity insurance. It's based on the amount we have in reserves plus current operating expenses. The Declaration says nothing about responsibility, just at the loss, although the insurance policy may. (Or may not - when I asked our insurance agent about responsibility when we were dealing with a different type of loss, he said that they don't look at who's responsible, just at who is obligated to pay.)

When we changed property management companies, one thing we looked at is the type of coverage they carried and what would happen if one of their employees embezzled funds, for example.

You may get more helpful information if you asked some insurance professionals.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOAs indemnifying (paying for losses of) property managers, lawyers, etc.: standard?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement