Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, August 25, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA Use of generators
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JohnP43
(Florida)

07/25/2019 10:10 PM  
Can an HOA restrict a whole house automatic generator if the residents are disabled?
JohnP43
(Florida)

07/25/2019 10:16 PM  
Posted By JohnP43 on 07/25/2019 10:10 PM
Can an HOA restrict a whole house automatic generator if the residents are disabled?

My HOA has a Architectural Review Board. I'm concerned they may try to deny my request due to the noise of the unit. But I thought restrictions could not be placed if the request is "reasonable" and paid by the resident. Any help here, we live in Florida so hurricanes are a part of life.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/26/2019 4:10 AM  
Why not apply and see what they answer with? They are loud and need to be installed correctly. I can see the HOA making it required it is installed by a professional and kept in proper place. Those things are loud from my own experience. Which may cause your fellow neighbors to complain or not want them. See what your neighbors think. That will give you some idea what the answer may be. You do not know till you ask.

Former HOA President
PestY
(South Carolina)

07/26/2019 5:47 AM  
..... Which may cause your fellow neighbors to complain or not want them. .....

matters NOT what they 'want'

their representatives have already enacted the ADA which is LAW
LetA
(Nevada)

07/26/2019 6:05 AM  
There are generators that are nearly whisper quiet.
ND
(PA)

07/26/2019 6:13 AM  
I assume your whole house generator would activate only when your house loses power . . . which is likely not too often. In the event of a hurricane or other lengthy power-outage, you certainly won't be the only person who has a generator running. Additionally in such a situation, I would think many HOA "rules" like noise nuisance concerns should go out the window as people do whatever is necessary to ensure first and foremost their own safety, security, and comfort as well as the safety and security of their possessions (home, belongings, medication & medically-necessary equipment, refrigerated items, etc.).

Suggest simply applying for the improvement, ensuring your overall plan complies with other associated requirements (e.g., possibly screening from view), indicating main purpose of generator to ensure safety, security, maintenance of medication and or medically-necessary equipment/conditions (potentially referencing ADA applicable sections).
FredS7
(Arizona)

07/26/2019 9:30 AM  
A generator is going to be run only rarely. I do not believe the noise would be the objection.

A generator is installed outdoors. (Assuming we are talking about separate houses here) the HOA has a legitimate concern about location, visibility, and aesthetics. For example- if AC units are installed with block walls around them- it would be reasonable to require block walls around a generator.

If the proposed generator is large enough it may be that there is no allowable location. But then again, even a disabled person does not require a whole-house generator.
MarkM31
(Washington)

07/26/2019 9:43 AM  
What is the propsed fuel? Most whole-house automatic generators are natural gas or propane, but they can be any fuel.

They are often quite, and only run during a power outage and 5 minutes/week self test.

JohnP43
(Florida)

07/26/2019 11:45 AM  
Thank you all for your comments. I live in an 'end' unit of four connected 'town homes-villas' the AC is located by HOA provided bushes (all landscaping is provided). The generator will be located next to the AC so that should not be a problem. We have natural gas service which will be added by the contractor. I have put in the request with the necessary support documents so we will see. We live in Florida so with the increase of insensitivity of storms we anticipate more power issues as time goes by. I have to say, being the first time I've used this forum, what a great resource!! Thank you. I'll update when the final ruling is issued by the BOD, after reviewing the ARC committee recommendation. (Wow you would think I live in DC!)
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

07/26/2019 5:09 PM  
Check with your local zoning authority to see if they have any restrictions on generators.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

07/26/2019 10:14 PM  
Posted By FredS7 on 07/26/2019 9:30 AM
A generator is going to be run only rarely. I do not believe the noise would be the objection.

Just to educate everyone.

A whole house generator does a weekly or monthly test for 10 or so minutes. This could be during the day or at 3am. It does it automatically. Sure, 1 house with 1 generator isnt a big deal, but if you have 50 houses all close to each other times 10 minutes could be 500 minutes of self test noise at any time of night. Yes, they are loud.

MarkM31
(Washington)

07/27/2019 12:22 AM  
You set the time and schedule for the idling self test.

NG machines are quite
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA Use of generators

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement