Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Shed standards & specifications not published
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CharaeL
(Florida)

07/09/2019 10:41 AM  
I purchased a home in a community governed by a Homeowners Association. I immediately crossed an unknown line by purchasing a shed for the back yard. I was then given the "Declaration for Heritage Place". I prepared and submitted the 'Architectural Review Application" as required. It has been denied twice. I am now submitting an appeal on the grounds that we can't follow the rules and/or regulations if said rules are not readily available in writing.

The following is the exact wording of the rule governing storage.

11.39 Storage. No temporary or permanent utility shed, storage building, tent, or other structure or improvement shall be permitted and no other structure or improvement shall be constructed, erected, altered, modified or maintained without the prior approval of the ACC, which approval shall conform to the requirements of this Declaration. Any boat stored on a lot must be screened by landscaping, fencing or walls approved by the ACC so that such boat is not visible from the street. Water softeners, trash containers, barbecue grills, and other similar devices shall be properly screened from the street in a manner approved by the ACC.

There are 80 pages of the 'Declaration' and nowhere are the shed standards & specifications detailed or published. The ACC President verbally claims that the approved shed size is 10 X 10. My shed is 10 X 17... and it is located in a part of the yard that is NOT visible from anywhere in the front or sides of the house.

My objection is that boats are specifically approved on the condition that they be screened from view. Most family style boats have a larger overall mass than my shed. My shed is completely out of view, so why the repeated denials by the ACC?

What is the legal aspect of being required to follow rules that seem to be arbitrary and unpublished?
PestY
(South Carolina)

07/09/2019 12:31 PM  
Comply

Get an attorney and sue

Move

... pick one ...
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

07/09/2019 12:59 PM  
The community I manage has the same situation - sheds (and a bunch of other things) require approval, but there are no specifications. The honest answer is that the specs are whatever the current Architectural Review Committee wants them to be. I get that it seems unfair and arbitrary, and I think it's in the best interests of any ARC to have standards, rather than expecting owners to guess at what they might approve. But given what you've written, it seems unlikely that you're going to get the outcome you want.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

07/09/2019 4:06 PM  
2 sentences in what you quoted.
The 1st says prior approval is required.
The 2nd says prior approval is required.
If you asked for prior approval on a 10x17 shed, the answer would have been - No, the max is 10x10.
Why would you think that an appeal would get you a different response?

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
GenoS
(Florida)

07/09/2019 9:09 PM  
Posted By BarbaraT1 on 07/09/2019 12:59 PM
The honest answer is that the specs are whatever the current Architectural Review Committee wants them to be.

If they say the size limit is 10' x 10' then in order to dispute that you'll need evidence of other sheds larger than 10' x 10' on other lots. Otherwise, 10' x 17' isn't going to get approved. I agree that things like allowed maximum dimensions should be on paper somewhere and that homeowners should have easy access to those standards.

In Florida, courts in the last decade or so have begun to look with disfavor on vague and imprecise architectural standards. "Max size 10 x 10" is good. "Max size as determined by the ACC" is not good. Architectural restrictions should be specific. Of course, in a specific case where the governing documents only provide vague and subjective criteria, and a dispute arises, you need to go to court in order to get a ruling.

In Florida, before you can sue the HOA you have to file for pre-suit mediation. An attorney can tell you more about that. The Florida Statutes (Chapter 720) also talk about pre-suit mediation.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Shed standards & specifications not published

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement