Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: standard maintenance special assessment form
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PatrickM12
(New York)

07/08/2019 10:16 AM  
Need to inform all owners that a special road maintenance assessment ($25,000.00) had been voted with the required number of yes votes at the July meeting. I was hoping there is a standard form available to use as a basis.
KerryL1
(California)

07/08/2019 12:40 PM  
Welcome to the forum, Patricia.

Is this $25,000 per dwelling? Who voted on this? The board or Owners? Are you on the board?

Maybe someone knows of a special form, but I don't think there is one. Much of this might depend on NY state laws re: HOAs. I'd get your HOA attorney's advice to make sure everything is on the up and up.
KerryL1
(California)

07/08/2019 9:35 PM  
Sorry... Patrick.
EdC5
(Florida)

07/09/2019 6:27 AM  
Your management company should be taking care of that for you.

Edward J Cooke, CMCA, LCAM
SheliaH
(Indiana)

07/09/2019 9:58 AM  
Why do you need a standard form? If a vote was taken to approve a special assessment that will cost $25K, what's so difficult about sending a letter to the homeowners saying the vote was taken on X date, Y number of votes were received, this number approved, that number didn't and therefore, the assessment is approved. This will cost X amount per homeowner and here are the payment details - any questions or concerns, here' the contact information.
PatrickM12
(New York)

07/09/2019 12:13 PM  
Thanks for all responses.
This is a small 25 homes in the Adirondacks with a some what dysfunctional HOA. Older group. I am 77 and a newly member of the
Board. I was looking to see if there was a standard form to insure lest amount of blow back as I took on the task of
Getting a contractor to repave the road. So I just sent out basic notification.
40% of the owners were not at the meeting
And 70% only live here summer months. Not your normal HOA.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/09/2019 5:53 PM  
That is a lot more HOA's than you think. So how was the vote taken? Was it a board decision? What does you documents say on how a special assessment vote is to be taken? Just curious because doesn't sound like it was by majority member vote.

Former HOA President
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/10/2019 8:32 AM  
Patrick

You had better go back and read your Covenants a little closer. Rarely can a Special Assessment be approved unless approved by a specific % of ALL OWNERS. I say again, ALL OWNERS and usually requires 2/3rds or more though I have seen some at 51%.

Do not confuse % of those at a meeting or % of those voting versus % of all owners.
PestY
(South Carolina)

07/10/2019 10:34 AM  
DITTO
KerryL1
(California)

07/10/2019 11:20 AM  
I af free with Melissa, Pesty & JohnC. Even small HOAs with little owners involvement must follow their own governing documents and also state laws.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

07/10/2019 11:51 AM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 07/10/2019 8:32 AM
Patrick

You had better go back and read your Covenants a little closer. Rarely can a Special Assessment be approved unless approved by a specific % of ALL OWNERS. I say again, ALL OWNERS and usually requires 2/3rds or more though I have seen some at 51%.

Requirement for member approval for special assessments might be common, but it is far from universal. Here is what our CCRs say about special assessments:
Special assessments may be made by the Board of Directors of
said Association from time to time to meet other needs or
requirements of the Association in the operation and management
of the common areas, and to provide for emergencies, repairs or
replacements and infrequently recurring items of maintenance.

Our board can also raise annual assessments by any amount, but increases over 15% allow the members to petition for a special meeting to reconsider the budget.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/10/2019 1:25 PM  
Our BOD can raise the yearly dues once a year (01/01) as high as they want to raise them without any owner consent.

We do need 2/3rds of all owner approving any Special Assessment.

Kind of pay me now or pay me later, but you will pay me...LOL
TimB4
(Virginia)

07/11/2019 3:37 AM  

There is no standard form I am aware of.

A simple letter titled SPECIAL ASSESSMENT with the info should suffice.

SPECIAL ASSESSMENT

$xx.xx per lot due on mm/dd/yyyy

On [date], in accordance with Article x, Section y of our [name of document] the board/membership voted in favor of a special assessment for the purpose of road maintenance.

Please send your payment in the amount of $xx.xx by mm/dd/yyyy to

Name of Association
Mailing Address

If there are any questions, please contact the Board of Directors at the address above or via email at [email protected]

For the Board

Name
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > standard maintenance special assessment form

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement