Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: 55+ park is not in compliance with rules and regs
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DeborahL11
(Washington)

07/06/2019 3:02 AM  
I bought a home in a 55+ park in jan 2011. After I were here for 5 months, I get a notice of a rent increase that begins sept 1,2011. This is the first home I have ever purchased, so I was new at most anything that goes with buying a home,and having a brain injury and trying to comprehend all the rules and regulations, makes it very hard for me to understand a lot of things. I have been reading a lot of landlord/tenant and manufactured and mobile homes and parks rules and info, and I wish I'd known some of this stuff before I bought this home, and also that a new management company would be taking over later on, that has just the worst reputation in the county I live in. Well they took over and now I feel like I'm being singled out,retaliated against, and discriminated, because I asked them to fix a leak in my carport.( Now I know they don't have to fix it, so I will have it done myself.) I took a few pics to show them. They filed a complaint with the attorney general right after I left their office after we discussed this. They lied about my whole meeting that I set up to talk to them about and while I was there we discussed other issues in the park, like my shed. They said they would fix it, came and took pics and that was it. It's been almost 2 weeks and nothing. Before I left the meeting that day, I told them a few of the tenants and I were gonna get together to discuss the rules and regs to more understand them. They didn't seem to like that idea. When they called the attorney general they said I threatened to sue them over the carport, which was a lie, and that I didn't have a lease with them, so they filed 2 complaints against me, Duties of the tenant and no rental agreement. They offered me a 1 year lease after I kept asking about why one was not offered to me when I moved in, and after learning about it myself, and then they raised the rent a few months before offering me that 1 yr lease and told me I would have to pay a 520.00 deposit. Aren't they suppose to offer you that lease when you move in, or is it ok for them to wait 5+ years and offer it to me and ask for a deposit on top of that. When I mopved in, I did not have to pay no deposit, and the carport and shed were in bad shape, but I did do maintenance on them and painted them and the carport isn't that bad. There are alot worse ones in here, but they are not complaining so theirs is ok. I have one of the nicest places in here, and there's not too many nice ones out of the 56 lots in here. They are all in bad shape, in one way or another. Anyway I didn't sign the lease, waived my rights to it and thought that would just put me back to the month to month I've always been on. Did I mess up or what? From what I've learned reading all this stuff, There are so many rules they are breaking, it's unbelievable and scares me to death.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/06/2019 6:45 AM  
I am confused. You say you bought the home but then mention a lease? How is your HOA set up? Are you a trailer park set up? Like you own the "home" and pay lease to keep your home on the property? It is managed by a Management company. Is there an owner board involved?

Need a bit more clarification of the situation prior to giving advice. I can't say that your comments may have set some red flags with the Management company even though not intended. Keep in mind Management companies often here various complaints from residents and may just become robotic in their response. Kind of like the police and domestic situations. You may be new to being hit by someone but the police see it all the time. So they respond like it's an every day event and you it's a devastating blow.

Former HOA President
DeborahL11
(Washington)

07/06/2019 12:25 PM  
I'm sorry I didn't make myself more clear, I'll try again. I moved into a 55+mobile home park. We own our home and rent to lot, which had a crappy shed and carport roof with leaks, so we fixed the carport and repainted the shed I was never offered a 1yr lease when I moved in. I didn't know anything about it. So I signed a rules and regs and was on a month to month lease (iguess) and wasn't charged for a deposit, Just as were quite a few others that have been here as long, or longer than myself. I moved in here jan 2011, and they raised my rent in Sept 2011. None of us were offered a 1 yr lease or had to pay a deposit. Then, the owner died and his son took over and hired a rental agency to do his dirty work for him. Their reputation tells all and it's not pretty, and I knew of them as its a small county, and if they had been in charge when I found this place, I would never had bought it, with them as managers. so After reading and learning more about mobile home parks, I learned about the 1 yr lease that never happened and asked them many times about it but was ignored, like always. So a few years go by(5) and another rent increase came in 2016,which was fine. but then a few months later I get a 1 yrs lease sent to me in the mail and they want me to sign and pay a deposit of $520.00. This is almost 6 years after I moved in, and right after a raise in rent so I waived my rights to the 1 yr lease and figured I was back on the same month to month as I was all along, cause She never said anything to me about it or brought it up at a meeting that I made to meet her and talk about repairs and stuff on june 11. I asked her about fixing my carport and shed or help with it. My big MISTAKE. Aftert our meeting she turned me into attorney general for not keeping up my carport and not being on a lease. She lied about it all. I have one one the nicest places out of the few in here that are decent, and she's never even been here to see my place anyway. I had taken some pics of the carpoprt leak and she said it was up to me to fix it. I said I was gonna talk to my friend who happens to be the prosecuting attorney here in town, so he cvould explain this stuff to me so as to help me understand it, as I have a brain injury which makes it hard to comprehend things I read. (I'm not the first disabled person she has taken advantage of in this park, either) As I started to leave her office, she was not happy with what I told her and I said there are a few of us that need these rules and regs easier to understand and we were going to get together and listen to my friends advice. then she got ahold of attorney general right after I left that same day and totally lied about everything we talked about and there was nothing about a lease until I read her complaint to th AG. Now I am really studying these rules and regs, which she is breaking all of them in one way or another, and the ag got my answers to her complaints. He says I need to file several complaints about her from what I told him and he thought this was retaliation and to file a complaint on that too. If I was to file the complaints I have, she wouldn't have no one left in this park, cause she thinks she's above the law as she has money and treats people like she's their boss and her letters feel like threats to many of these tenants and she does whatever she wants cause no one will stand up to her. I'm sure the owner is just like her, maybne worse, but she won't give me his phone number or anyway to get in touch, and I wouldn't trust him anyway, from what I've heard. She's letting people with kids move in and if someone dies, she don't know about either a fam,ily member or caregiver stays in the home, always under age 55 as long as she gets a rent check from the lot, she s fine with it no matter who its from, Shes even been charging a deposit to some of these newer people, and I doubt the owner even knows whats going on. And our 55+ park is not anymore and its not 80% and 20% either. Its disappearing as we speak. There's so much going on , it's upsetting as he'll. I am on ss for my disabil;ity so I guess I need to find some legal advice. I can't afford an attorney, but I don't think I can live here if I make anymore complaints like the AG wants me to. Any advice? I hope i've explained this a lil better. Thankyou
AugustinD

07/06/2019 12:34 PM  
Deborah, I can see there are problems here, but it's a little hard to figure out what exactly your concerns are. As concisely as possible, can you post here, using numbered lists:

What exactly and concretely do you want from the manager(s)?

What exactly and concretely do you want from the owners of the mobile home park?

What, if anything, exactly and concretely do you want from the office of the Washington Attorney General?
AugustinD

07/06/2019 12:54 PM  
Deborah, this sounds more like a landlord-tenant dispute with some discrimination (on the basis of disability) in housing issues. I suggest trying the resources at:

https://tenantsunion.org/en/rights/legal-resources1

and

https://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/find-legal-help
DeborahL11
(Washington)

07/06/2019 4:44 PM  
Well in the first place I should have never asked for help or told them I was going to talk about this to other tenants and someone who knows the laws so I/we could understand it better. That was my first mistake. #2 the landlord (manager) will use this against me as long as I'm here now. I feel like I'm gonna have to move. She's breaking alot of rules and taking our 55+ park and turning it into a shithole, like she's known to do and has done to other places. Just reading her reviews gave me the creeps. She has a lot of enemies. The owner doesn't want nothing to do with this park and let's her do whatever. (she don't even know 1/2 the people in here) You can tell just by talking to her. She's only concerned about getting a check from every lot, no matter who writes it, she will cash it then ask questions later, or like my elderly neighbor, who has cancer. Her church paid 3 months rent for her while she was in mexico for treatments, and when she got back these mgs told her she was 3 months behind in her rent which scared her and it wasn't a nice letter. But they had no problem cashing that check from the church for her rent. not knowing what it was for. None of her letters to us are nice, they are all like threats, and they are all scared of her. She told me they were gonna fix my shed, she sent her maintenance guy and he took pics of it and that is probably going to be used against me sometime in the future. the shed needs fixed. so I'm just going to have to hire someone to fix their junk, cuz I won't ask her again. and She won't give me info on the owner to get his input, but I'm sure he don't give a damn anyway. I thought I would be here till my death, then when she was hired to manage this place, I knew it would end up this way. I'm sorry, but They don't call her the slum landlord of this county for no reason. Read her reviews. I'll send you a few if you'd like. The AG wants me to file complaints for retaliation, not being offered a 1yr lease, by owner,and breaking the 20% & 80% rule, for not fixing things they are suppose to fix. shers constantly having the water turned off without notice, sometimes we will get a notice with wrong dates. People take aday of work off to be home to let her repair guys in cause there's a big water leak in the park thats been going on for years(the 8 yrs I been here and she sent some of us a letter saying if the leak is our fault we will have to pay the bill, and one of my other neighbors got a 2300.00 bill cuz the leak was on his lot but it was due to roots from the big trees in here growing into the pipe and breaking it underground cause this park is full of huge trees and they are not taken care of, he says he's not paying it.Her workers are just street people and the maintenance guy hates woman and shows it, besides the "other" problems he has, he tries to take it out on tenants. He's got no liciences and doesn't know what he doing most of the time. Is a bad maintenance guy with a helper that rides his lawn mower and is texting instead of mowing and making dust cause there are hardley any lawns, cause there are so many cars and dogs in here its like a motel 6 with a humane society, with dogs running loose. She don't come here. I've seen her here 1 time in 8 years, and I'm home most days or out working in my yard She treats us like were idiots or something. She won't fix things and won't return calls and has a smart mouth secretary doing her dirty work. Its a horrible company with lazy mean people that don't care about anyone but themselves.. I guerss its just time for me to go, I rewally have no choice. Thanks for your advice tho, I will check it out. It's best if I get out of here, cuz nothing will change, I'm sure of that, not while she's in charge. Thanks again.
AugustinD

07/07/2019 8:39 AM  
Hi Deborah, I encourage you to do as the Attorney General directs. Maybe at the same time, call some of those resources I linked and see if you can get more advice. Lastly, when management is bad and pursuing correction of the situation is difficult, many of us here at hoatalk have found that it is easiest to move. Best of luck.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > 55+ park is not in compliance with rules and regs

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement