Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Board's members info needed,
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RichardL7
(Colorado)

07/01/2019 6:43 PM  
Respectfully request information on the following. In Colorado and with the ( Colorado Common Interest Ownership Act) I have been trying to locate information in regards to the subject of homeowners having the board and the board presidents telephone numbers, also mailing address as well as Internet addresses. I need to clarify if this information is authorized for homeowners and possibly for renters. This information will be Strictly and I say strictly used for business purposes for the Association.

What information I have been able to find is very limited on the subject, respectfully request any comments that may assist me in alleviating this problem.
Thank you
Richard.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

07/02/2019 4:09 AM  
You might not find a lot of legalese on the subject because even now state legislatures still behind when it comes to social media, cell phones, email addresses, etc., and as you know there's a lot of concern about privacy and misuse. It does make sense for the board to have some sort of contact information - in our community, we don't provide home phone numbers, but have a universal email devoted only to association business and the email would be sent to all board members. You can still contact the property manager to forward information to the board. Our website has the property manager's phone number, email, and fax number.

Beyond that, I don't think you have an inherent right to someone's email and/or phone numbers. It's one thing to have someone's address - if you can't get that list from the association, all you have to do is walk around your neighborhood, look at the numbers on the houses or mailboxes and write them down. Even if a homeowner's list has phone numbers and email addresses, I believe people should be able to opt out of that portion of their contact information (in some states, they have a right to make that request).

As for renters, they aren't association members, so they aren't entitled to anything. Besides, if they have questions or concerns, they should be talking to the owner/landlord, who would then contact the association, if necessary.

In your case, why not start by simply asking the board or your property manager for a homeowner's list, which would include board members? If you already did that and were denied, what did they tell you? Did you tell them why you need the information - people always say it'll be reserved for HOA business, but in some cases, they bombard homeowners with information that doesn't have anything to do with that.

CathyA3
(Ohio)

07/02/2019 4:39 AM  
I agree with Sheila that homeowners should have a means of contacting the board (eg. a board email address). However, that's not the same as saying that owners should be entitled to board members' personal contact info. The latter doesn't provide any significant advantage over the former, and is too easily abused.

In addition, if the HOA makes information available, the HOA may be held responsible to some extent for any unauthorized or inappropriate use of that information. So caution is warranted.

There are plenty of sources on the web where a person can find a lot of this information if they do some work. The property tax rolls are a good place to start.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/02/2019 4:44 AM  
I am with Sheila. Renter are not HOA members. They don't need the information. If you have a MC, it's best to contact them. May ask if this information is available or must go through them? Remember one's phone number or email address is NOT business related. It's personal. A business one would be designated that. The HOA should be holding meetings. Are you attending?

It's time to put on your walking shoes and write down addresses. Remember you can NOT put anything in a mailbox without a stamp on it. It may be considered solicitation if putting up flyers or attaching to homes. So be careful of that. Each area varies on the rules for that.

What business do you have that is so pressing?

Former HOA President
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

07/02/2019 5:37 AM  
Agree with all prior posts.

We used to publish individual name, address, phone, and email for BOD members.

Now it's down to name and address only. Because of our physical layout, we think that owners should know where in the community BOD members live. But that's about it.

We're also planning to comb through our website and purge all pages of documents that have a BOD member's signature on them.

In our case, hard enough to get volunteers. We're not going to require disclosure of personal information.

Change came about naturally. One BOD member said that personal information was private. The rest followed.

We do have a board email. Every incoming email is immediately forwarded to all BOD members.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

07/02/2019 7:29 AM  

We're also planning to comb through our website and purge all pages of documents that have a BOD member's signature on them.

If you have ever bought any property your signature is on the deed and mortgage paperwork and is public record of your state. NOT deletable..... ever. I can look up deed signatures back the 1600's in my town.

I guess what I'm saying is..... whats the point of spending all that time deleting them? Also..... another board of directors later on can simply re-add all those documents.
AugustinD

07/02/2019 7:40 AM  
Posted By RichardL7 on 07/01/2019 6:43 PM
I have been trying to locate information [about] having the board and the board president's telephone numbers [and email addresses]. I need to clarify if this information is authorized for homeowners and possibly for renters. This information will be Strictly and I say strictly used for business purposes for the Association.

If whatever you want is for business purposes, then the law expects you to use the designated legal agent's contact information. If your HOA has a manager, then this is usually the legal agent. You write the board "care of" the manager. If it is an important issue, send the correspondence to the HOA manager, 'certified mail, return receipt requested.'
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

07/02/2019 8:02 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 07/02/2019 7:40 AM
Posted By RichardL7 on 07/01/2019 6:43 PM
I have been trying to locate information [about] having the board and the board president's telephone numbers [and email addresses]. I need to clarify if this information is authorized for homeowners and possibly for renters. This information will be Strictly and I say strictly used for business purposes for the Association.

If whatever you want is for business purposes, then the law expects you to use the designated legal agent's contact information. If your HOA has a manager, then this is usually the legal agent. You write the board "care of" the manager. If it is an important issue, send the correspondence to the HOA manager, 'certified mail, return receipt requested.'

As a corporation, an HOA needs to keep its registration current with the state's Department of State. This includes updating the Registered Agent - a mailing to a Registered Agent is legally adequate for purposes of notifying the corporation. Most MCs will file the forms to make them the Registered Agent when taking on a new HOA. Others don't - Which could be a problem if material sent is time-sensitive but goes to a prior MC.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
RichardL7
(Colorado)

07/02/2019 8:50 AM  
My sincere thanks to all of those who have responded to my question. All points well taken and understood. To have a questions and answers available on the Internet, I believe is a very important item. It was a very smart idea to start a website for the assistance of those that have questions related to the HOA.
Thanks to all of those who have responded to my question.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Board's members info needed,

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement