Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, November 13, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Pet Committee
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ElizabethM11
(Wisconsin)

04/03/2018 12:21 PM  
My name is Elizabeth and I approached the board members about a pet committee when I learned they wanted to form some committees and a pet committee wasn't one of the committees on their radar. The board members liked the idea of forming a pet committee so I decided to volunteer to be on it and, if need be, take lead.

Does anyone else here live in a community that has a pet committee?

If so, how often do you meet? How do you communicate with other committee members? And, most importantly, how do you connect and communicate with the residents of your community? Do you use social media, like Facebook, to do that? If so, what types of things get communicated to the residents where pets are concerned?

How are your communities pet friendly for all?
GenoS
(Florida)

04/03/2018 2:18 PM  
We are somewhat pet friendly but do not have a pet committee. Pets must be on a leash when outside of the home and dog walkers have to pick up their dog's waste. Other than those two things there's not much else the association needs to get involved with re. pets. I don't see how a pet committee would be of much real-world use to anybody unless it's more of a social thing where people get together to share cat videos.
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/03/2018 3:04 PM  
We do not have a pet committee.

What goals did you have in mind for the committee when you proposed it?

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/03/2018 3:55 PM  
What would be the purpose of this committee? Who would fund it? Keep in mind that the HOA money is every member's money. Would the other members be okay with funding such a project?

Most of the time it's NOT the HOA's responsibility to deal with animals. It's Animal Control. The committee may contact the Animal Control for issues. Maybe have a POC for animal control (AC) to contact for lost pets or issues.

We did not have any type of "committee". It was more of a social thing. I had 2 dogs and a cat. Which grouped me in with the "pet people" in the HOA. We tended to keep up with who's pet was who's. That way if one got loose we could return it. We also had a few dangerous dogs that wondered into the neighborhood. We would warn each other and call Animal Control. At one time we had some Ferrell cats/kittens. We had a rescue group come in and save them.

So did not need a formal committee. It was just a group of us pet people who kept up with each other and pets. Matter of fact, I had neighbors who would take me dogs for walks and keep them in their house while I was at work!

Former HOA President
ElizabethM11
(Wisconsin)

04/03/2018 4:36 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 04/03/2018 3:04 PM

Posted By MelissaP1 on 04/03/2018 3:55 PM
What would be the purpose of this committee?

The Pet Committee would work on managing pet issues within the condo community and strive to keep it pet friendly and safe for all.

In addition, the committee would monitor state, county and local pet issues and statutes so that recommendations could be made to the Board of Directors on matters regarding pets in our condo community.

The pet committee would also allow the many residents of our condo association a better opportunity to get to know their neighbors and appreciate the community better.

The idea came about because many of the rules and regulations governing pets aren't being followed. The top 3 rules of section 14 (pets) that many residents are failing to follow include failure to pick-up waste, tying out pets and leaving them unattended and having dogs that exceed 21" in height. The Board of Directors wants the committee to start re-evaluating some of those rules and regulations and it's not only important for us to have input from residents who already own pets but those residents who don't own any pets.

I did some googling and saw that other associations out there had pet committees and thought it couldn't hurt to form one of our own.

Who would fund it? Keep in mind that the HOA money is every member's money. Would the other members be okay with funding such a project?

I'm not sure. No one has told me that.

What I do know is that a pet committee is one of several committees in formation. Landscaping and website are some of the other committees they're forming. I suppose additional committees would be added down the road.
FredS7
(Arizona)

04/03/2018 7:55 PM  
We do not have a pet committee and I cannot see any reason for one.

The only pet issues are periodic reminders to offenders that pets must be on a leash and pet waste must be removed. No need for a committee for that.
KerryL1
(California)

04/03/2018 8:45 PM  
I'm with Fred. Your Board should enforce your pet rules or change them.

We're a twin tower urban high rise. We allow either two dogs, two cats, or one of each. We have no size or breed limit on dogs. I'd say 30-40% of our 200+ condos have dogs. We have lots of rules since we're elevators buildings.

Dogs must always be on leash or carried by someone
No dog waste may ever be deposited in our common areas.
Excessive barking: owners get a "courtesy' letter to halt it or a call to hearing soon thereafter if not cured.
dogs/cats may never be locked out of condo units on balconies.
Dogs/cats aren't allowed in any interior common areas or the exterior fenced pool area.

We rarely have violations, but handle them swiftly.

I don't see a reason for a committee unless you want to review the exiting rules.

GenoS
(Florida)

04/07/2018 5:04 AM  
Posted By ElizabethM11 on 04/03/2018 4:36 PM
The pet committee would also allow the many residents of our condo association a better opportunity to get to know their neighbors and appreciate the community better.

Just as I thought.... cat videos. Or the functional equivalent thereof. Suggest having the animal lovers fund their own pet love fests and leave the HOA out of it. People love their pets? Great! Outside of enforcement against irresponsible pet owners, what's the HOA got to do with any of that? Sounds like more of a social committee/club thing.
MichelleK5
(New York)

04/08/2018 10:50 AM  

The Pet Committee would work on managing pet issues within the condo community and strive to keep it pet friendly and safe for all.

In addition, the committee would monitor state, county and local pet issues and statutes so that recommendations could be made to the Board of Directors on matters regarding pets in our condo community.

The idea came about because many of the rules and regulations governing pets aren't being followed. The top 3 rules of section 14 (pets) that many residents are failing to follow include failure to pick-up waste, tying out pets and leaving them unattended and having dogs that exceed 21" in height. The Board of Directors wants the committee to start re-evaluating some of those rules and regulations and it's not only important for us to have input from residents who already own pets but those residents who don't own any pets.

I did some googling and saw that other associations out there had pet committees and thought it couldn't hurt to form one of our own.

Who would fund it? Keep in mind that the HOA money is every member's money. Would the other members be okay with funding such a project?

What I do know is that a pet committee is one of several committees in formation. Landscaping and website are some of the other committees they're forming. I suppose additional committees would be added down the road.

Your board needs to enforce rules if they're not being followed, that's part of what the board does. Not a crap load of committees to go around and check how people are living, and how tall their pets are.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/08/2018 12:12 PM  
Posted By MichelleK5 on 04/08/2018 10:50 AM

Your board needs to enforce rules if they're not being followed, that's part of what the board does. Not a crap load of committees to go around and check how people are living, and how tall their pets are.

Well said.

ElizabethM11
(Wisconsin)

04/08/2018 1:25 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 04/03/2018 8:45 PM
Your Board should enforce your pet rules or change them.

There's been a recent change to our Board of Directors and we now have new board members as a result.

Part of the change had to do with a lack of enforcing current rules and regulations. The new board is looking to not only enforce existing rules but perhaps change some as well.

Posted By KerryL1 on 04/03/2018 8:45 PM
I don't see a reason for a committee unless you want to review the exiting rules.

That's what the pet committee members are planning on doing.

Actually, we just started.
ElizabethM11
(Wisconsin)

04/08/2018 1:40 PM  
Posted By GenoS on 04/07/2018 5:04 AM
Outside of enforcement against irresponsible pet owners, what's the HOA got to do with any of that? Sounds like more of a social committee/club thing.

Posted By MichelleK5 on 04/08/2018 10:50 AM

As I said, I did some googling and saw that other associations out there had pet committees in addition to various other committees (landscape, newsletter, communications/social media, website, activities/social, welcome, etc...). I guess our board members didn't think it'd hurt to have some of our own. There main reason behind committee formation was so that unit owners could step up to the plate and be more involved in the community.

It's my understanding that while most HOA committees are advisory in their functioning, they increase the ability of an association’s directors to complete tasks efficiently and provide the additional data necessary for decision making by the HOA. Committee participation is also supposed to increase the amount of information available to the homeowners so that they can participation in decision making aspects for the association.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

04/12/2018 10:33 PM  
Posted By ElizabethM11 on 04/03/2018 12:21 PM
My name is Elizabeth and I approached the board members about a pet committee when I learned they wanted to form some committees and a pet committee wasn't one of the committees on their radar. The board members liked the idea of forming a pet committee so I decided to volunteer to be on it and, if need be, take lead.

Does anyone else here live in a community that has a pet committee?

If so, how often do you meet? How do you communicate with other committee members? And, most importantly, how do you connect and communicate with the residents of your community? Do you use social media, like Facebook, to do that? If so, what types of things get communicated to the residents where pets are concerned?

How are your communities pet friendly for all?

My personal opinion is the HOA should potentially NOT have pet trash in their CCR’s. WHY ... because your local City, County, and State have laws already on the books regarding pets. Ladies and Gentlemen they virtually ALL will have clauses such as “All Pets Must Be on a Leash”. Therefore, when the HOA has similar statements in their CCR’s the HOA will then “supercede” the local laws. Then when lets say in the future a “dog” bites anyone and especially if that “dog” was not on a leash ... the HOA will be the major entity SUED. WHY ... because you have stated in your CCR’s that “all dogs must be on a leash” and there was a dog who was not on a leash and bit someone.

The alternative is just following the local laws. Then in same scenario ... maybe the HOA is sued. But your response could be ... Your Honor our HOA does not regulate pets because we have the local Animal Control with properly “trained professionals” to handle potential vicious animals. Sorry but our HOA Members are not properly trained in the handling of potential vicious animals and all Citizens are required to follow the LOCAL LAWS. Mr./Mrs. X did their duty by offering first aid to the victim and also provided them with the telephone number for the local Animal Control who has the proper authority and training to handle such situations.

So ... which scenario do you think has the better chance of winning if sued???
GenoS
(Florida)

04/12/2018 11:31 PM  
Posted By JanetB2 on 04/12/2018 10:33 PM
My personal opinion is the HOA should potentially NOT have pet trash in their CCR’s. WHY ... because your local City, County, and State have laws already on the books regarding pets. Ladies and Gentlemen they virtually ALL will have clauses such as “All Pets Must Be on a Leash”.

Yes they do, but it's not uncommon for some counties to be unwilling to enforce those laws. My county is like that. In fact, a representative from the county's Animal Control department told us a couple of years ago, "Your HOA has rules and covenant restrictions about that so don't bother us about it." If we had a dangerous dog that bit someone they would respond and take action if necessary, but they're not about to respond to calls about dogs running off-leash or to cite people for not picking up their dog's poop.

We have such language in our covenants because if we can't enforce it ourselves then nobody would.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

04/13/2018 1:39 AM  
Posted By GenoS on 04/12/2018 11:31 PM
Posted By JanetB2 on 04/12/2018 10:33 PM
My personal opinion is the HOA should potentially NOT have pet trash in their CCR’s. WHY ... because your local City, County, and State have laws already on the books regarding pets. Ladies and Gentlemen they virtually ALL will have clauses such as “All Pets Must Be on a Leash”.

Yes they do, but it's not uncommon for some counties to be unwilling to enforce those laws. My county is like that. In fact, a representative from the county's Animal Control department told us a couple of years ago, "Your HOA has rules and covenant restrictions about that so don't bother us about it." If we had a dangerous dog that bit someone they would respond and take action if necessary, but they're not about to respond to calls about dogs running off-leash or to cite people for not picking up their dog's poop.

We have such language in our covenants because if we can't enforce it ourselves then nobody would.

If the government does not enforce then the victims and owners can go after their Local Government vs the HOA. YEP my local government tried telling me in the past that I could add verbiage to my HOA regarding these type issues (asked them as a what if scenario). When I pointed out that would be STUPID because THEY had the LAWS on their books and the legal responsibility to UPHOLD their own LAWS ... guess what ... they backed down regarding the scenario!!! If you had a dangerous dog that bit someone ... yes they would respond ... but if said dog was NOT on a leash your HOA will most likely loose a lawsuit. WHY ... because you had a dog NOT on a leash in “complete violation” of your CCR’s ... because your HOA superceded the Local Laws.

The same goes for the Local Government as it does for the HOA with regards to dog poop. You need to have evidence ... essentially a picture of the culprit committing the violation. That could just as easily be turned into the local authorities as it can to the HOA. YEP ... and the HOA will have LESS headaches if turned into the local authorities via their legally binding LAWS. The HOA BOD can tell residents ... we do not regulate animals and expect our residents to follow the Local Laws. If you have an issue here is the phone number for our local animal control.

Keep in mind Local Governments LOVE your type HOA’s who will take on any and all LEGAL LIABILITY above and beyond that provided by your Local Government. When something happens such as a dog biting anyone and not on any leash ... believe me ... your local government will point out to the victim that your HOA regulates dogs and that the dog who bit them was not on a leash in violation of your CCR’s. They will also point out that it is much easier to sue an HOA vs the local government. Then when you come on here in the future and complain about any such event ... what should I tell you?

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement