Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, September 20, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Alternation and Addition Form
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ErinA1
(Illinois)

02/12/2018 12:39 PM  
Our HOA requires this for exterior work, for those who are familiar with this form is it common to request the price or estimate for the work being done? I really don’t see why the board which I am on should know how much you are paying for your fence, etc. just trying to get a feel if this is a common ask or if it just a little nosey.
BillH10
(Texas)

02/12/2018 1:47 PM  
I have managed associations in Texas and served on boards in California and Texas.

I have never heard of asking for the cost of the project. However, I can understand doing so if the cost is somehow tied to the permit or another municipal/regulatory process and it is used as a double check to ensure a permit is obtained.
ErinA1
(Illinois)

02/12/2018 2:18 PM  
Thanks for your response, I am going to check with our Mayor's office (they issue all permits) and see if they require the price for projects.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

02/12/2018 3:07 PM  
I can see a few reasons why the cost estimate of the project may be requested. You can always change the form to not include it or make it optional. However, that will be up to your ACC/Board.

One of the reasons I can see for a cost estimate is if it violates the rules, the HOA should be able to remove it. The HOA may want to know the price range they are dealing with if it comes to that?

Another one is that some overzealous home remodelers/flippers think some projects add "value" to their homes. So now they think their home sale price will now increase the amount of the project. Now they put their house for sale for that extra money. Other house won't be able to compete. You now may the "Keeping up with the jones's" syndrome.

Don't think it's really all that necessary to reveal the cost but there may be some considerations to discuss. It could be a red flag to see a fence replacement costing 5K when it should be 2K. Something else may be going on.

Former HOA President
BenA2
(Texas)

02/12/2018 8:43 PM  
Even after reading the previous responses I can't think of any reason the HOA would need to know the cost of the project. I don't know why the municipality would want to know, but even if they did, you would be able to verify a permit was obtained without knowing the cost estimate.

The only information you can require is information necessary to determine if they are in compliance with your CC&Rs.
KerryL1
(California)

02/13/2018 9:00 AM  
I agree with Ben.
SueW6
(Michigan)

02/13/2018 10:13 AM  
I am sure the municipality wants to know if you are increasing the value of your home by $25,000 or $250. Think: taxes!
KerryL1
(California)

02/13/2018 10:50 AM  
Say, erin, Sue seems to think yur municipality requires this. Is that so? Or just your HOA?
SheliaH
(Indiana)

02/13/2018 11:33 AM  
I would agree it's not the HOA's business on how much the project costs (after all, it's not coming out of the association funds). It may be they're equating price with quality, which aren't always the same thing. I'd be more concern with the dimensions, type of materials being used, etc., to make sure the work is in compliance with any design standards the association has established.
BenA2
(Texas)

02/13/2018 6:44 PM  
Posted By SueW6 on 02/13/2018 10:13 AM
I am sure the municipality wants to know if you are increasing the value of your home by $25,000 or $250. Think: taxes!

True, but what you spend for improvements does not necessarily correspond to the increased value. I'd be surprised if many governments even ask for the cost.
MarkM31
(Washington)

02/13/2018 8:32 PM  
Posted By BenA2 on 02/13/2018 6:44 PM
Posted By SueW6 on 02/13/2018 10:13 AM

True, but what you spend for improvements does not necessarily correspond to the increased value. I'd be surprised if many governments even ask for the cost.

Yup, there is no relationship between the cost of the project and added value.

MarkM31
(Washington)

02/13/2018 8:34 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 02/12/2018 3:07 PM

Another one is that some overzealous home remodelers/flippers think some projects add "value" to their homes. So now they think their home sale price will now increase the amount of the project. Now they put their house for sale for that extra money. Other house won't be able to compete. You now may the "Keeping up with the jones's" syndrome.

That makes no sense
It could be a red flag to see a fence replacement costing 5K when it should be 2K. Something else may be going on.

Like what?
I

One of the reasons I can see for a cost estimate is if it violates the rules, the HOA should be able to remove it. The HOA may want to know the price range they are dealing with if it comes to that?

Could you explain what you mean?
FredS7
(Arizona)

02/14/2018 7:03 AM  
Maybe they want the estimate so they can see who the contractor is and determine if the contractor is insured?

Otherwise- people who write forms seem to ask themselves what blanks they can put in to get filled out. Not whether the requested information has any actual utility.
MarkM31
(Washington)

02/14/2018 7:11 AM  
Posted By FredS7 on 02/14/2018 7:03 AM
Maybe they want the estimate so they can see who the contractor is and determine if the contractor is insured?

Otherwise- people who write forms seem to ask themselves what blanks they can put in to get filled out. Not whether the requested information has any actual utility.

If the HOA wants proof of insurance, or to be named as ad additionally insured, they should ask the HO for that information. Otherwise, pricing is none of their buisness
ErinA1
(Illinois)

02/14/2018 10:36 AM  
I checked with our Mayors office and they ask for the project estimate when issuing their permit to determine if said project is the only work being done. As for the HOA request for estimate it definitely isn’t a government requirement and I also have to agree it’s none of the HOA business if you pay $5K for your fence or you pay $3K. I mean I’m not in the right to tell someone if their paying too little or too much and I think what is happening with my board it turns everyone into professional contractors, landscapers, etc. and in reality we’re not. Appreciate all the feedback!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Alternation and Addition Form

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement