Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Florida- dis-agreement with HOA Board
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
EileenE1
(Florida)

08/31/2011 11:35 AM  
I have recently contacted the Condo. Ombudsman (State of Florida) to find out information regarding HOA's and they have told me there is no such organization. Does anyone know who can be contacted for HOA related questions related to rules and regulations in our documents?
PetunkaM
(Florida)

08/31/2011 11:47 AM  
Eileen,
There is no agency you can contact. Rules and Regulations – if this is what you mean- have the lowest priority. These usually address things like enforcements of speed limits, no noise after 10 pm, draperies and curtains must be uniform, how to address complains and things like that.
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

08/31/2011 12:02 PM  

Eileen,

The condo Ombudsman would not help with a HOA if you mean stand alone homes, not condos. Rules and Regulations as Petunka has stated, are the lowest priority in your HOA docs. Exactly what are you looking for? Sometimes we are pretty darn smart right here and most often we can give you an explaination of what you might be looking for.
EileenE1
(Florida)

08/31/2011 2:23 PM  
1. I live in a townhouse community, so we are connected 4-8-or 10 connected side by side. No one can tell me if our enryways are common areas or do they belong to each individual home-owner? It states nothing in our documents.
2. Our documents state that the HOA is responsible for maintaing the common area.
3. We have recently come upon a problem that a neighbor complained about the entryway of another neighbor, that there is overgrown foliage. It states nowhere in our docs, what or what can't be planted in each entryway. and has threatened a lawsuit if it is not removed.
4. I have spoken to the condo advocate and they cannot tell me or rather advise me, as condo law and HOA law is different.
Therefore other than going to a HOA lawyer (which I am sure will "COST") I am seeking other resources.
EdC5
(Florida)

08/31/2011 5:54 PM  
Posted By DonnaS on 08/31/2011 12:02 PM

Eileen,

The condo Ombudsman would not help with a HOA if you mean stand alone homes, not condos. Rules and Regulations as Petunka has stated, are the lowest priority in your HOA docs. Exactly what are you looking for? Sometimes we are pretty darn smart right here and most often we can give you an explaination of what you might be looking for.

Stand alone or not isn't a distinction in Florida law; in fact, my 'condo' IS a stand alone home. What the Ombudsman's office will look at before getting involved is if your declarations fall under §718 (Condo) rather than §720 (HOA).

Edward J Cooke, CMCA, LCAM
PetunkaM
(Florida)

09/01/2011 5:06 AM  
Eileen,

I assume these townhouses are row houses and each owner has its separate entry area?

If true, there is only one way to find out who owns the entry way. Check your deed. It should say something like Plat __ Book ___. Then go to the Public Records and access the Plat. (I can do it on line and hope you can also.) The plat will show the boundaries of each property. Or, check the association files, a copy of certified Plat of your community should be there.
If that fails, the BOD would have to call in a surveyor, so no need to go to court.

Maintenance responsibilities: You can own the townhouse including the entry way but in many cases the Association is still responsible for maintaining the exterior of every unit including roofs, painting of buildings, etc. In this instance, the association would be responsible for maintaining the entry way, including your door frame, regardless who owns it.

However, if the owners are responsible for the exterior maintenance of your property and own the entry way then all owners must maintain it. Please check your covenants (not the By-laws and not the Rules.) Any more questions, feel free to ask.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Florida- dis-agreement with HOA Board

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement