Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, November 24, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Bee Hives
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MelissaM4
(Pennsylvania)

07/21/2009 12:55 PM  
We are a townhome community with a bee hive on the outside of a homeowners unit. A neighbor, who has been getting stung while sitting on her deck has contacted the HOA asking who is responsible to remove the bee hive. Is the HOA resposible or is the homeowner of the unit in question?

Thank you!
Melissa
AnnaD2
(Florida)

07/21/2009 1:11 PM  
We are a condo association and we have also had bees build nests on the building, including around window frames. Since it is on the OUTSIDE of the building our Association is responsible for removal. Your documents should state who is responsible for certain parts of each townhome.

We have a monthly pest control service who treats the grounds. We call them when the wasps build their "huts" and they remove them.
RogerB
(Colorado)

07/21/2009 1:14 PM  
Melissa, usually the outside is common area owned by the HOA. Did the owner of the bee hives got permission to use this outside area. Bee hives should never have been allowed. The owner is responsible and must remove them if they are on common area. However, if the Board allowed the owner to place them there those Board members, not the HOA, could get stung for the expenses involved.
TracieS
(Colorado)

07/21/2009 1:15 PM  
Roger, I don't think this is someone's beekeeping enterprise, but a randomly bee-built hive.

Although, I highly doubt the owners (bees) got HOA permission to build their hive! I wonder what their Arch Comm Request would have been!
RogerB
(Colorado)

07/21/2009 1:17 PM  
Bee hives or bees nest?
If this is a nest built by bees rather than bee hives placed there by an owner the HOA is responsible.
MelissaM4
(Pennsylvania)

07/21/2009 1:29 PM  
It is a nest built by bees. Thank you for the clarification. I have read through my documents and it does not address any matter with insects. The HOA is responsible for roofs, siding, street lights, common areas, detention basin, retaining walls, parking area, sidewalks, private roads, snow removal, grass maintenance, landscaping installed by declarant/builder, trash removal. Is the outside of the townhome considered Common Area?

The docs do say "each unit sall be maintained by its Owner or occupant in a safe, clean and sanitary manner and condition, in good order and in accordance with all applicable restrictions, conditions, ordinances, codes and any Rules or Regulations which may be applicable hereunder or under law.
RogerB
(Colorado)

07/21/2009 1:48 PM  
Yes the outside of the townhome is common area - roof, siding, and gutters are on the outside in the common area.
TracieS
(Colorado)

07/21/2009 2:00 PM  
Posted By MelissaM4 on 07/21/2009 1:29 PM
Is the outside of the townhome considered Common Area?

I'm not sure if it's "common area", but in my association, my docs specify that the association is responsible for the exterior. Our docs are old, so it's not much more specific than that. Some say "from the drywall out" or something.

Under my docs, the association would be responsible for nuisance insects. HOWEVER, I am drafting a set of rules/regs, and a policy about insects. Our association is 19 units, townhome style, and we're situated on a HUGE ant farm. I swear, it stretches from one end to the other. Our association isn't going to pay for ants in the future, because they're just ants. Termites - YES, we'll pay (we're wood frame with brick face). Bees - I'm not sure yet. Earwigs - probably not, because they're usually just seasonal. Miller Moths - NO...these are just our western version of locusts for a few weeks every summer.
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

07/21/2009 3:58 PM  

Tracie,

Your association needs to contract for a pest control service. Ants are not something that should be ignored. Every been bit by a herd of angry Fire Ants?
Many of those will swarm and can kill people. And FYI, there are aproximately 3000 colonies of ants per acre. Scarey, huh?

But your problem would be under the HOAs responsibility for removal of the bees nest. Call the local AG. Department or find a local bee keeper for free removal.
MaryA1

07/21/2009 4:26 PM  
Melissa,

You stated the assn is resp for "roofs and siding" which to me means the exterior of the townhome. Therefore, I would say the assn is resp. for the cost of removing the bee hive (nest).
EllenS1
(Florida)

07/21/2009 5:51 PM  

roger,

Not so in Florida. Outside of townhomes here are not common area. Our docs clearly state that the exterior of townhomes are the responsility of the individual owners. I'm surprised that you would post such misinformation.
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

07/21/2009 5:57 PM  

Ellen,

Not so fast to criticize Roger. My townhome association in S. Florida IS responsible for all of the outside repair, replacement and maintenance. The only thing that owners are responsible for are the windows and doors. Sorry but by now, we all know that there are no hard fast CC&Rs that fall upon all of our associations.
EllenS1
(Florida)

07/21/2009 6:10 PM  
Donna,

That is my problem with Rober making a blanket statement for all hoas. As an advisor he should know better than to claim he knows all the answers.
EllenS1
(Florida)

07/21/2009 6:24 PM  
Rpger,

The poster says the member is responsible for th exterior of their unit..how does that translate to common area? Your comments show you know little about the laws of various states.
EllenS1
(Florida)

07/21/2009 6:29 PM  
Melissa,

I would say that if your docs state that the exterior of units are the reponsibility of the hoa..then that's that. But if they state that the homeowner is resonsible for the exterior then it is up to the homeowner.
RogerB
(Colorado)

07/21/2009 7:16 PM  
Posted By EllenS1 on 07/21/2009 6:24 PM
Rpger,

The poster says the member is responsible for th exterior of their unit..how does that translate to common area? Your comments show you know little about the laws of various states.

Read again Ellen. The post said "The HOA is responsible for roofs, siding,..". Perhaps your townhome association is different. As I said usually; that does not mean always.
GlenL
(Ohio)

07/21/2009 7:37 PM  
Melissa before you call an exterminator and pay to have the bees eradicated; if they are honey bees (which are dying out in huge numbers) call your local police/fire dept (non-emergency line not 911) they often have the numbers of local beekeepers who will come and remove the nest for free.

This won't help with the bees this time but a few years ago I went through the documents and figured out just what was a homeowner responsibility and what was the Association's responsibility. We then had it vetted by the attorney for accuracy before giving it to all homeowner's as a quick reference guide. I've attached it below but keep in mind it is specific to our documents.

Attachment: 1721374033971.doc

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
MelissaM4
(Pennsylvania)

07/22/2009 6:47 AM  
Thank you all for your advise
MelissaM4
(Pennsylvania)

07/22/2009 6:47 AM  
Thank you all for your advise
MaryA1

07/22/2009 6:59 AM  
Melissa,

One thing I neglected to mention in my post. If there have been cases of African bees in your area the best thing to do is to have the nest removed. The exterminator should be able to tell what type bees they are, but of course he'll already be there. . . Here in AZ there have been so many cases of African bees that if a large nest is detected we just automatically think they're African bees and take the necessary steps to exterminate them.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/04/2017 8:16 PM  
Old thread reactivated??? Potentially was for spam.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement