Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: hoa books
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CarolynK
(Alabama)

08/23/2006 5:39 PM  
hi...can anyone share with me what types of bookkeeping you have with your hoa? had a meeting on tuesday to look at our hoa books and records and our books are basicly papers that are printed out on computer and stored in a shoe box. no ledgers, no receipts, no bankstatements, not really anything that can tell me what all our expenses are. is this normal bookkeeping for an hoa for 67 homes. i was in shocked when i saw how our books are being kept. maybe that was why i had such a hard time getting the books opened so some of the homeowners, and myself could view them. this association was started in 1989, and we just can't seem to move into the future. all our board members except 1 is in there late 60's or early 70's and we just can't seem to get them replaced. we are slowly get more younger (30 to 40 year old), moving in the hoa, but most don't even realize what a hoa is all about. any advive is welome

thanks
carolyn K
JulieS
(Georgia)

08/23/2006 5:47 PM  
We use a management company but you could easily use QuickBooks, or QuickBooks Pro to keep track of everything...receivable, payables, etc.
GeraldT1

08/23/2006 8:16 PM  
CarolynK,

Hey, a shoebox is better than a paper bag, right! Honestly, you've inheritied some less than desireable bookkeeping. It's time to call a professional indpenedent (non-resident) CPA to organize what you have. Even though the bookkeeping is antiquated, it does not mean your finances are necessarily in the red.

You my dear, are the key that is going to turn and ignite your HOA in the right direction. Request volunteers to join a finance commitee, get a CPA to audit the books, finance and get an engineering study of the association elements to verify if your reserves are adequately funded.

Best of success!!
GeraldT1
NNJ
CharlesW1
(Georgia)

08/24/2006 6:12 AM  
CarolynK,
It sounds like to me that you need to take on the responsibility to educate your neighbors now before it is too late. If they are as old as you say they are. Unfortunately they will probably “retire” or step down, either way you are going to loose them. You should start looking for replacements now and keep in close contact with these potential board members.
Ever hear of the saying “if it’s not broken don’t fix it”? This may apply to how your books have being managed. There has been no reason to update them. The shoe box may not be professional or very organized but it hasn’t been a problem thus far.

I hope you get the advice you are looking for.

Best of luck
Chuck W.

Charles E. Wafer Jr.
RogerB
(Colorado)

08/24/2006 8:09 AM  
Carolyn, welcome to the world of many self managed HOAs. Your bookkeeping will depend primarily on the volunteer treasurer, internal controls established (or not) by your Board, and the degree to which the treasurer complies with established controls. Regarding software, you can select one of several programs which can meet the needs of the members of your association and the IRS. There are requirements as to what must be saved and for what period of time.

You seem to care, so why not take actions to educate the homeowners about their HOA. You could also recommend they hire a professional managing agent
BradP
(Kansas)

08/24/2006 1:38 PM  
Carolyn:

We use Quickbooks in our association and I thought we were a little behind the times. Our treasurer has done a nice job of organizing our financials, we used to be an excel spreadsheet group. We are exploring going to a web-based version of quickbooks so the other board members have quick access to financials and to prevent having to back data up in case of a computer crash.
JulieS
(Georgia)

08/24/2006 4:18 PM  
QuickBooks is more user friendly if you are not an accountant. I have used it in my various jobs for the past 12 years. Very easy to use and you have reports at your finger tips. These can easily be exported to Excel and/or emailed.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement