Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: POA vs HOA
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MissyW
(Georgia)

08/21/2006 2:15 PM  
We are in georgia. Why would you have a POA as opposed to a HOA? I found this article, but I'm not sure I really understand all there is to know.
http://www.wncwlaw.com/services/community_associations/poa.cfm
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge,
Missy
CharlesW1
(Georgia)

08/21/2006 2:30 PM  
MissyW,
I’m not completely sure of the benefits to switching to a POA. The property manager had told me that. When foreclosure is in place on a home, a list on debt owed in established. Your name is filed on this list. I have been told when you become a POA, your name then goes to the top of such list. The chances of you getting your money is better that it would be if you were an HOA. I guess being a POA puts your debt at number one priority!

Other than that, I’m not really sure. Property Owners vs. Home Owners HMMMMM

Do you know of any other reasons why we would be encouraged to become a POA?

Chuck W.

Charles E. Wafer Jr.
JulieS
(Georgia)

08/21/2006 2:35 PM  
I printed this article and will use it in helping everyone in our neighborhood understand why we should become a POA.

It gives the HOA more protection and legal rights. Georgia is pretty far behind in the HOA arena. Did you know that in Georgia, if a home forecloses and the dues have not been paid you have no right to them? If you become a POA, you will be able to collect those dues which would otherwise be written off as bad debt.

If you are an HOA, you must physically file liens at the court house (our attorney does this for us). If you are a POA, the liens are automatic. Additionally, if the lien (or dues) for whatever reason aren't paid by the selling homeowner, they can be collected from the new homeowner. We have a situation where we were working on collections and for whatever reason, the management company didn't collect when the house sold (either by not certifying for the closing, lien not being filed, or some other reason) but the dues were never collected, the house sold and we will never get the money unless we go after the person with a lawsuit. If we were a POA, the new owner would become responsible.

Additionally, if someone becomes delinquent, you can foreclose on their property (which isn't stated in the article). You would be surprised at how many people will pay their dues when the thought of losing their house enters the picture. This of course isn't until liens are filed, etc. It is more of a 'last resort' and from what I understand, there hasn't been a home foreclosed by a POA in GA as of yet.

One other thing that is beneficial by being a POA is that it puts your lien higher on the list of all the other liens. Usually, a lien placed by an HOA is the lowest on the list (behind the mortgage, property taxes, etc.). Being lower on the list means a higher chance of of not collecting. POA puts your lien at the top of the list.

Hope this helps...
CharlesW1
(Georgia)

08/21/2006 2:48 PM  
JulieS,
Yes, that did help me! It’s encouraging to hear. I’m going to read the article provided. I hope it gives me a better understand as to why a POA is so beneficial to a community.

Thanks again
Chuck W.

Charles E. Wafer Jr.
MissyW
(Georgia)

08/21/2006 3:49 PM  
Thanks Julie,
That really did help. I wonder what the down side would be. There seems there would have to be one or everyone would be a POA.
Thanks again...
JulieS
(Georgia)

08/22/2006 6:56 AM  
You would amend the covenants to change from a HOA to a POA, per your documents. There is no choice by homeowner...the association is either a HOA or a POA. This will be my next project if I am re-elected to the board in February.
MissyW
(Georgia)

08/22/2006 11:52 AM  
I emailed Big Canoe HOA and this is what they told me:
The POA is like our city government; they handle all infrastructure and other serious issues (roads, security, rules, buildings, etc). The HOA handles quality of life programs, more like the Chamber of Commerce – they put on educational, sports, social, health, cultural etc. programs and events, as well as publish the newspaper and maintain the email list and send out community broadcasts. Anyone who owns property MUST be a POA member, costs are about $175/month per piece of property. HOA membership is voluntary, $35 per year. Most full time residents are members – about 1500 this past year.

Hope this help would love to stay in touch as i hope to lead our HOA in the direction of changing.

RogerB
(Colorado)

08/22/2006 12:33 PM  
Please make sure to list the state to which you are referring. In Colorado an HOA appears to be the same as a POA in your state.
JulieS
(Georgia)

08/22/2006 1:03 PM  
Missy,

I'm familiar with Big Canoe and that is an intersting analogy but don't quite understand it. I wonder who you spoke to? In Georgia, I'm pretty sure you are one or the other, not both. Until recently, GA HOA's had no legal power and the courts usually sided against HOA rules. That is one reason why WNCW worked so hard in getting the POA legislation.

Roger,

Missy, Charles and I are all in GA....although we are all in different counties.
MissyW
(Georgia)

08/22/2006 7:37 PM  
Julie,
would you like the email address of the person i spoke to at big canoe? I have both teh HOA & POA's. may I post it on here? New to the forum not sure of proper etiquette.
Missy
hoatalk
(California)

08/23/2006 4:59 AM  
Posted By MissyW on 08/22/2006 7:37 PM

Julie,
would you like the email address of the person i spoke to at big canoe? I have both teh HOA & POA's. may I post it on here? New to the forum not sure of proper etiquette.
Missy

Thank you for asking...Please don't post other people's emails here. If you want to share them with a specific member, you can click that member's name by one of their messages and you'll find an email link. This allows you to send a private message to the member via email (and the member's email address is never revealed here for privacy reasons).

Thank You for your support and participation here,
HOATalk.com

HOATalk.com, A free service of Community123.com
Provider of Upscale Community Websites
CLICK HERE to get a FREE trial community website
*See legal notice below (end of page) or go to www.hoatalk.com/legal
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement