Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: combining two homes to make one
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ShirleyC
(California)

08/17/2006 11:45 AM  
We have a homeowner who has combined two residences. He is in the process of trying to get permits after the fact and has applied to rezone two units into one parcel.

Our bylaws are very specific about the board adhering to the declaration which is also very specific about uniform and overall harmony of external design.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this type of change?

ShirleyC
(California)

08/18/2006 8:23 AM  
Okay, I'm not getting any replys so I will add a little more information.

We are a PUD so units are not attached. The owner that combined two residences is on the board.

We intend to recall the current board and elect a new board within the next 10 days because of this and some other items.

The county planning commission is going to probaby deny his permit for work already done which means he will have to change it back to it's original state, and also the new board is going to require him to change the structure since this was done without board approval in writing and also changes the overall harmony of design of the complex.

The main question is this: the county will let him change this from two parcels to one unless our bylaws specifically say he cannot. Our bylaws don't mention anything about rezoning. I am assuming no one thought to put this in bylaws because who would have ever thought this could happen?

We are concerned about property values and if this owner dies these units would be hard to sell as one unit.
CharlesW1
(Georgia)

08/18/2006 8:58 AM  
ShirleyC
I wish I could be of some help to you. I’m new to this discussion board. I haven’t reached your post yet. I'm reading all previously posts and responses. I expecting to better educate myself of all HOA situations.
I would assume because he is on the board he feels he isn’t breaking any of the CC&R’s. What has the other board members said about this? Is he or isn’t he in violation?
One person’s decision doesn’t make up the entire board. The board is supposed to base all decisions upon what is in the best interest of the entire community.
I understand that this is a very difficult to prevent, but you need others to help you. There is “power in numbers” I would consider getting the other resident of your community involved. They (the BOD) couldn’t possible ignore all of you! Not unless they want some serious problems to deal with.

I would have thought you would have gotten some advice about your situation by now.
Best of luck
Chuck W.

Charles E. Wafer Jr.
RogerB
(Colorado)

08/18/2006 9:40 AM  
Shirley, I presume your association has an Architectural Control Committee. Any exterior modification of a unit would require their approval. Combining 2 detached units (houses?) into one should most certainly be denighed. And combining two parcels (lots?) into one can not be done without amending the Declaration since the plat would need to be changed. Such an amendment would never be approved by owners when they realize this would reduce the HOA assessment income by one lot. Is his motivation to cut his assessment from 2 lots to 1 lot? The HOA should have promptly denighed his request before any work was done and before it went to the planning commission.
CharlesW1
(Georgia)

08/18/2006 10:00 AM  
Roger-
Good advice. I hadn’t have thought of that at all. I bet the rest of the BOD hadn’t either. So basically the whole community will suffer financially if this takes place?

You are now aware of it. It would be your obligation to prevent this from happening!

Chuck W.

Charles E. Wafer Jr.
ShirleyC
(California)

08/18/2006 11:47 AM  
Thanks for the response.

We do not have an architecural committee, or any committee for that matter. This is another reason we are recalling the board. They make all decision we (owners)get to vote on nothing.

The homeowner referred to earlier is on the board along with two others who also think they own the complex. We have several new owners who believe that basicly our CC&R's have been abandoned. We have eight of fourteen votes, and still working on two other owners.
JulieS
(Georgia)

08/18/2006 1:28 PM  
We do not have any volunteers for an ACC therefore, the board of directors acts as the ACC. Just because there is no designated 'committee' does not mean there is not an ACC, it just is not separate from the BOD.

Should the BOD be acting as the ACC, this person may have submitted a request and it may have been approved, just not public knowledge as these things are usually published.

I would suggest researching the issue of the covenants and plat to see if the two lots may be combined. You may want to seek legal council on this also.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > combining two homes to make one

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement