Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Redactions on financial reports
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NancyM2
(California)

07/14/2006 8:04 AM  
In previous postings I have asked for feedback on what constitutes "attorney client privilege" or reasons for redactions on financial's I request. (their are always many)

Recently I discovered a check our HOA cut for work done on our attorney's grandmothers residence. The board claims it was overlooked, and was a mistake. However they didn't overlook it long enough to redact that item from the financial's I received. I looked it up in the tax records(they didn't redact the address) I asked our Mgmt Co for an explanation as to why a check was cut for our attorney's grandmother. They stalled me long enough(two weeks) so it could be brought up at the next general meeting, which I was unable to attend. saying ~ O Gosh ! we must have overlooked this mistake. But did publicly thank me for discovering it. I requested a written reply from our MC, as I was unable to attend the meeting. This is what I recieved back after a lengthy "thank you for discovering the mistake" letter

(exact quote) as for the redacted material ~ any expert reference that still has attorney client privilege attached with it is redacted. The experts were never revealed in ***** as the litigation did not get to that point so it is acceptable to still redact information related to that matter. As far as the other information redacted it was done for privacy issues. If there are further concerns regarding the materials redacted and methods, please address directly with the board at the next meeting.(end of quote)

The ***** refered to in their reply is the line item the grandmothers check was under. It was a case that never made it to court, because they settled on a fix and the fix has been completed. The privacy issues they refer to are addresses in our community that had a geological report done on.

By the way ~ did anyone catch the "don't call us, we will call you" sentence in there.

I appriacate any feedback

Nancy M.
NancyM2
(California)

07/14/2006 2:03 PM  
Apparently not many HOATalk readers have had a lot of experience with redaction's on their financial's (that's a good thing) Perhaps I should have asked if anyone out in cyber-space felt I had enough here to consult with an attorney, so I could confirm what is considered a legitimate redaction in the state of Calif ~ with the Davis Sterling law in place.

Again I thank all of you.

Nancy M.
BradP
(Kansas)

07/15/2006 6:36 AM  
Nancy:

We don't have an attorney on staff and have not been in any lawsuits yet so I have no experience with redacted financials. I would however seriously question what they have done.
NancyM2
(California)

07/15/2006 1:38 PM  
Brad,

In compiling my information, I have 8 financial's I've recieved over the last couple of years, I have counted 35 redaction's on these ranging from Bankruptcy expense, late fee income, collection income, geological reports, "O YES" even Ombudsman's salary ~ all redacted, along with other line items.

I haven't complained before as I was looking at the larger picture when examining our financial's. Every since I discovered the check cut for work done on our attorneys grandmothers house (also a redacted item) "O YES" it was a mistake (a redacted mistake) I am looking a little closer, and questioning why so many redactions.

Thank you for your interest, and posting

Nancy M.
BradP
(Kansas)

07/15/2006 3:12 PM  
Nancy:

you have a right to be suspicious. I am no expert on the law but I would question all of them, especially the ombudsman's salary. Heck anyone in america can find out what my salary is where I work if they send a letter to the right place, as a member of your hoa I think you have a right to see that and everything. Be careful as you turn over the rock, you will probably find a snake.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Redactions on financial reports

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement