Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Need HOA experts and legal advise
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
YolandaW
(Georgia)

07/12/2006 9:52 PM  
In our subdivision it states that the mailboxes are suppose to be metal post with housing number in design format on top. And that all mailboxes are to be uniformed in design with no deviation basically. Well the builder within our subdivision erected a home with brick columns and mailbox within those columns.
The vice president of the board and the secretary immediately upon seeing this drafted a letter stating the violation and delivered it to the builder closing attorney and the realtor. Well the home closed and the reason being is that the builder erected the brick columns the day before and the board was away on vacation. Well the homeowners are in the home and were just informed that the builder was sent notification as well as all the other parties involved. The uproar in the community is that those columns have to come down. My question is the builder still liable as well as the realtor who new that it was a violation. the home was ready and complete 3 weeks prior but he chose to erect the columns the day before the closing which the HOA was not aware of it until that afternoon when they came home from work. I gues my question is what actions can the HOA take. They want the columns removed.
GeraldT1

07/13/2006 6:04 AM  
YolandaW,

Tread very carefully on this one because there may be no deviation, or a deviation the developer has the power to construct.

Basically, it comes down to consistency of the style of home. I'm not imposing my personal belief upon your HOA but my personal feeling is that styles that vary but that are consistent to the type of home, in my opinion make for a more attractive and unique community. Otherwise, I believe things start to look cookie cutter and monotonous.

My first question to the builder would be are all future construction of mailboxes of brick homes going to be within brick columns?

In that event all mailboxes of that style home will be "uniform in design with no deviation."

Also, look for a provision in your governing documents that gives the builder the power to reasonably deviate from the design plans during different phases of construction.

Best of success!!
GeraldT1

YolandaW
(Georgia)

07/13/2006 6:18 AM  
Regarding the deviation the homes styles are different there is not to many of the same style homes within the subdivision. As for building lots there are only 8 Lots left.

The developer when the subdivision first opened he made one of the other builders tear down the brick mailbox. and also as an FYI the president of the company developer) past away last year and the subdivision was turned over to the HOA.

This is specifically for the Columns with the mailbox in it. Personally I think it looks awesome but it seems to be a violation. Which from confirmation they buyers had no idea of this.

GeraldT1

07/13/2006 8:21 AM  
YolandaW,

It is a deviation if it is the only one. Again, check the gov. docs. to see if power of deviation exists. Now the HOA is in control of the subdivision, the HOA should be able to excersise all the powers the developer had.

Curious, who's paying the taxes on the 8 lots left?

GeraldT1
YolandaW
(Georgia)

07/15/2006 11:01 AM  
I am sorry I mis spoke yes it is a deviation and the developer is not the builder and the president of the developing company passed away. He specifically did not allow it and made another builder remove it and penalized the builder and also made the builder compensate the homeowner for suffering. If he was around this would not be going on. The president is not doing anything. Peoples grass is growing out of control they are starting to park on the fron lawns etc. it is really getting out of control she needs to be forced to resign so we can save our community
BradP
(Kansas)

07/15/2006 3:16 PM  
Yolanda:

If there is already precedent to the effect that another builder was forced to remove it and compensate the homeowner, then I would get your board to pursue the same or similar action against this builder. As I stated in another post, band homeowners together and demand resignation or action, or both.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Need HOA experts and legal advise

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement