Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Rules and Regulations
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
WilliamT
(Arizona)

07/12/2006 2:16 PM  
As I understand it, Rules and Regulations are meant to fill in the gaps of the CC&R's, where there is nothing mentioned to deal with certain situations, and Rules shall not be in conflict with the Covenents.

Therefore, if the CC&R's state "no parking on the streets; parking shall be in garages, driveways, or designated parking areas", then would a Rule such as this be in conflict with the covenents?

" Vehicles of owners, employees, guests are to be kept in garages, driveways of the owner, and designated parking area whenever such facilities are sufficient to accommodate the number of vehicles."

It seems this may be in conflict because it leaves the owner the option to fill up a 3 car garage with storage, have 3 cars and park two of them on the street, because his facility is not sufficient to accommodate the number of vehicles.

I would like to get others interpretations of this.

Thanks,

Bill

BradP
(Kansas)

07/12/2006 3:56 PM  
Bill:

That is how I read it.
GeraldT1

07/12/2006 4:17 PM  
WilliamT,

The owner does not have the option to park any cars on the street. That is how I'd interprete the bottom line. So if the owner decides to fill up the garage, there's only two options being the designated parking area or the driveway. If you quoted the second rule exactly including the comma after "owner" I'd say that the line "whenever such facilities are sufficient...." only applies to the designated parking area and that facilities does not mean garages or driveways.

However, if there is argument to negate my interpretations than I'd still say the owner must first fill the driveway with cars prior to parking any in a desginated parking area or the street.

It seems to me the rule was developed with the intention to minimize overnight or permanent parking on the street and in other parking areas so as to accomodate visitors and street safety. If this intention is not being satisfied because some choose to not park their cars in garages, or driveways, or jockey their cars to do so, than the rule must be updated so as to satisfy the intention of your HOA parking situation.

My HOA roadways only permit parking on one side of the roadway for fire and safety vehicle accomodations plus "technically" there is no overnight parking on streets and now overnight parking in snowstorms.

GeraldT1

BradP
(Kansas)

07/12/2006 5:43 PM  
Gerald:

I interpreted the bottom line to say that once the garage and driveway is filled then they can park on the street. The fuzzy part on that is what is considered a full garage. What if you have some boxes or something taking up one or two parking spots in your garage, does that give you the right to have the chain reaction to the street once the driveway is full?
WilliamT
(Arizona)

07/12/2006 5:46 PM  
Thanks for the replies.

I should have printed the actual wording for the CC&R's.

Here is the CC&R wording:

"It is the intent of this Declaration to prevent parking of vehicles on the private streets. All vehicles will be parked in garages, drives or in designated parking areas."

Here is the Rules exact wording and punctuation:

" Vehicles of owners, employees, guests are to be kept in garages, driveways of the owner, and designated parking area whenever such facilities are sufficient to accommodate the number of vehicles."

So as I read it again, it seems that both are saying the same thing and the Rules enlarge on it. No parking in the streets. It would be next to impossible to have vendors park in the driveways. They'll always park in the street out of courtesy to the owner, and that's fine. So will guests when they have a party, and that's fine.

What is happening is that our board is not enforcing this rule at all.

There is another covenent that prohibits parking of boats, trailers, or any vehicle over 3/4 ton in sight of the street. It must be in the side yard, or in the garage. The board does enforce that rule.

Consequently, there are many homes that park their cars on the street instead of the driveway or garage. Because the streets are fairly narrow, they will park with two tires up on the sidewalk. It's a sloped curb. Our concrete sidewalks are supposed to last a very long time but with cars parking on them, they will cause problems.

I'm afraid that one day someone who is parking a boat on the street will confront the board with the fact that they are not enforcing the rules fairly. That they turn their backs on cars parking on the street.

Other board members don't want to address this issue, but I feel we should enforce the rules equally.

Bill
WilliamT
(Arizona)

07/12/2006 5:51 PM  
Posted By BradP on 07/12/2006 5:43 PM

Gerald:

I interpreted the bottom line to say that once the garage and driveway is filled then they can park on the street. The fuzzy part on that is what is considered a full garage. What if you have some boxes or something taking up one or two parking spots in your garage, does that give you the right to have the chain reaction to the street once the driveway is full?

I believe our Master HOA CC&R's (we are a sub-association) says that no more than one of your garage bays may be made unusuable by a car. Most of our garages are 3 car. So everyone would be able to park 2 cars in the garage, and two or 3 in the driveway.

I'm not sure what happens if you have more than 4 or 5 cars, and you are not close to the few designated parking areas. But I would think that very few of the people have more cars than that.

Bill

BrianB
(California)

07/12/2006 7:23 PM  
If your streets are private, it seems to me that your interpretation is correct. no parking on streets. in our HOA, the streets are city owned. and, by definition, they are legal parking spots. we have similar CC&R's, but because the city as included streets as "designated parking areas", we cannot stop folks from doing so.

GeraldT1

07/13/2006 5:20 AM  
BradP,

No parking on the streets, that's "technically" the bottom line. The rest of William's HOA rules seem to present a hierarchy based upon availability.

GeraldT1
WilliamT
(Arizona)

07/13/2006 7:33 AM  
Yes, our streets are private.

Thanks,

Bill
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Rules and Regulations

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement