Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: How do you handle the approval of letters written from the Board?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DawnL
(California)

07/10/2006 11:41 AM  
Would love your insights on this issue.

We have a small, 12 unit condo community. I am on the Board (president). Due to the make-up of the Board I am the one to write letters (gardener, accountant, violations, response to complaints, etc.) Letters are signed "Board of Directors, ABC Homeowner's Association."

Usually, the Board discusses the content and any related specifics (deadlines, fines, response etc.) at the meeting. Currently,the final draft is approved by email.

The problem, is, at times, I have difficulty getting email responses in a timely fashion. Especially if Board members become overwhelmed with a flurry of discussion in multiple emails.

If we were to wait until the next meeting and approve the final draft of every letter in person, it would appear horribly inefficient taking up to 60 days to respond to people, wouldn't it? Then if additional changes need to be made, some Board members want to vote AGAIN on the final draft.

How do others handle this?

I feel as if a huge amount of my time is used in this process.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Dawn in CA

RogerB
(Colorado)

07/10/2006 11:47 AM  
Dawn, I would cut through the red tape. Ask the Board to delegate authority for you to write, sign, and send letters as President of ____ HOA. You could send an email on critical letters to the other Board members and give them so many days to respond otherwise the letter will be mailed.
MarieG
(Florida)

07/10/2006 11:49 AM  
I agree with Roger B. If you are tasked to write these letters, then the board should definitely not want to second guess what you have written. If it's something legal or critical, then e mail the board.
JulieS
(Georgia)

07/10/2006 1:00 PM  
Create a 'form' letter for most items that everyone can agree to for various items (late fees, ACC violations, etc.)that are repeatedly sent. Anything out of the ordinary or requiring more info, then check with the others or have the authority to write and send them on behalf of the HOA.
GeraldT1

07/10/2006 1:49 PM  
DawnL,

May I suggest you develop and get board pre-approval of generic letters that are in response to a variety of your HOA matters/topics that will only require the insertion of name/address/date, etc. Then just Cc the Board members. I'm sure you have a "top ten" list of matters your HOA typical has to respond to.

GeraldT1
NNJ
LisaS
(Illinois)

07/10/2006 4:47 PM  
I write all of the letters for our association.

For the sake of efficiency I created templates for everything. The language was approved by the entire Board the first time it was needed.

Anything out fo the ordinary we discuss and alter templates as needed.

The best part about this is that whenever a new Board is elected, we will be able to give them something to start with. Even if they change the language, they can get up and running immediately. Also, our letters have continuity.
DawnL
(California)

07/11/2006 9:28 PM  
Thanks all!

Templates, less "red-tape". . .great suggestions.

Dawn
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > How do you handle the approval of letters written from the Board?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement